Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've read this post several times, and as far as I can see the quote you're attributing to Cowan means the exact opposite of what your'e claiming it is. As well as that, I'd say it's pretty crass for you to compare the two things.
Tam Cowan was raging that a player should accuse someone of making a racist comment because, once the evidence was examined, it was shown that there was no case to answer.
I get that the intervening period would be hellish for the accused, but should the player be vilified for bringing it?
And you are correct. While the comparison I made is not invalid, I was wrong to make it.
Will delete post.

It was amusing, as a Hearts fan, listening to it back retrospectively knowing that Cowan had to go through the torture of hearing his team almost manage to scrape a draw against 10 men 😂😂 The plaintive plea hoping (in vain) that VAR would overturn Shankland's penalty made me feel a very smug Jambo indeed (no hard feelings - would've been the same if it had been Dicky Gordon or Chick Young in the seat)

Edited by Stylish Kid

3 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Won't be long until middle class twats are texting in with what they're having for brunch.

I frigging hate that to a degree that is wildly disproportionate to the actual 'offence'.   When that nonsense starts, I invariably lunge at the radio while seething audibly.

Anyone else occasionally find themselves doomscrolling Cowan's Instagram now?  I don't know why I do it, but I can't help myself.
As a fellow campervan ( nae doot his will be a "motorhome" ) owner, I am strangely drawn to it, if only to confirm what I had thought, that he goes to the most unimaginative campsites and destinations there are.

42 minutes ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:
20 hours ago, Highland Capital said:
Anyone else occasionally find themselves doomscrolling Cowan's Instagram now?  I don't know why I do it, but I can't help myself.

As a fellow campervan ( nae doot his will be a "motorhome" ) owner, I am strangely drawn to it, if only to confirm what I had thought, that he goes to the most unimaginative campsites and destinations there are.

Perhaps they're rent free?

I had the misfortune of flicking through a Daily Record today and Cowan has without a hint of irony, used his column to have a dig at Peter Kay and his entire routine being only remembering things from the past.
In the interests of research, I thought I'd have a look, something I have always avoided.
Just read the opening (ahem) paragraphs : Peter Kay tells lots of jokes about his childhood; Jamie Oliver goes on a bit; Gregg Wallace has a bit of a hit for himself.
Such wit, insight and erudition!

In the interests of research, I thought I'd have a look, something I have always avoided.
Just read the opening (ahem) paragraphs : Peter Kay tells lots of jokes about his childhood; Jamie Oliver goes on a bit; Gregg Wallace has a bit of a hit for himself.
Such wit, insight and erudition!
He should do another column on women's football imo

On 10/11/2022 at 20:41, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I had the misfortune of flicking through a Daily Record today and Cowan has without a hint of irony, used his column to have a dig at Peter Kay and his entire routine being only remembering things from the past.

I get the irony, but he's also not wrong. How Peter Kay is so popular and rated by people is one of life's mysteries.

56 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Is it not just old Lancashire grannies that like him?

Half of which will have died since he last did any stand up routine. 

Quite a few folk at my work - both sexes, ages from mid thirties to early sixties - think he's great. Going by the site crashing and the folk on social media reacting to the news of his tour, I thought mine was quite an unpopular opinion tbh

42 minutes ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

I quite like Peter Kay, not the biggest fan of his stand up but Car Share and Pheonix Nights were great.

Aye the sit com stuff he does is fine.

Edited by Salvo Montalbano

2 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Quite a few folk at my work - both sexes, ages from mid thirties to early sixties - think he's great. Going by the site crashing and the folk on social media reacting to the news of his tour, I thought mine was quite an unpopular opinion tbh

It's comedy comfort food.

24 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Max and Paddy was very funny. I still sing the theme tune to myself on random occasions.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Phoenix Nights was brilliant to be fair 

2 hours ago, Amarillo Bairn said:
2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
I get the irony, but he's also not wrong. How Peter Kay is so popular and rated by people is one of life's mysteries.

I quite like Peter Kay, not the biggest fan of his stand up but Car Share and Pheonix Nights were great.

I agree, I like him but I suspect a lot of those going to his arena gigs just want a reprise of "garlic bread" and "chicken and fish" jokes.

As a complete aside, comedy gigs belong in small, intimate venues like The Stand or Monkey Barrel, not fucking arenas..........