Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 24/09/2022 at 12:14, Afc69 said:

Holy smoke. 12.05pm and already, both have mentioned the double winning season, and 1991.

Would actually be better off with a pair of Old Firm fans.

I wander, how long before Cosgrove mentions the Billy Dodds transfer fee when he went from the Saintees to Aberdeen? 

My memory isn't what it was. What's the story with Billy Dodds and this transfer?

I know they're petty and ill informed but time was there was some knowledge of lower league players. Usually when Stuart's team were in the Championship

Anyway Ousman "Ouzy" See has been knocking about the SPFL for a mere 5 seasons - first for Edinburgh City (f*ck FCE) and then Forfar Athletic

I think he's originally from the Far East ........ Of Leith 

Edited by tamthebam

Cosgrove seems to be getting grumpy, and immature, in his old age. Started going on about how many hidings St Johnstone have handed out to Dundee and ICT over the years, with their former and current chairman, Scott Gardner, in the studio!

And, the chairman said Inverness is not a football town. Cos they’ve only had a pro team since 1994. I’d be going bananas if I was an ICT fan, at that comment. They’ve had highland league teams for over 100 years and only got denied entry to the professional ranks cos of the Strathclyde Football Association and it’s closed shop.

5 minutes ago, Afc69 said:

And, the chairman said Inverness is not a football town. Cos they’ve only had a pro team since 1994. I’d be going bananas if I was an ICT fan, at that comment. They’ve had highland league teams for over 100 years and only got denied entry to the professional ranks cos of the Strathclyde Football Association and it’s closed shop.

Got to say, every time ICT lose I feel a warm glow. They’re a fraudulent Frankenstein monster of a club. 

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I know they're petty and ill informed but time was there was some knowledge of lower league players. Usually when Stuart's team were in the Championship

Anyway Ousman "Ouzy" See has been knocking about the SPFL for a mere 5 seasons - first for Edinburgh City (f*ck FCE) and then Forfar Athletic

I think he's originally from the Far East ........ Of Leith 

The whole Ouzy See conversation left a really really bad taste in my mouth. Was grim listening. 😬

Edited by gingermunkie
Fixing spelling error/typo

The ICT Chief exec had a point, I think.  OTB does pay scant attention to the Championship. As increaingly does OAM, without Richard Gordon.

OTB is less and less of a football show and more light entertainment focused towards men of a certain age, that does include football but music, politics, humour and whatever else they shoehorn in. And I like it and keep tuning in. 

They both did seemed rattled at the comment about them not covering the lower leagues, and both rose to the bait in their own ways. Tam immediately had a got at the guys politics and him being a Tory, Cosgrove reflected on it then had a go at him a wee bit later about him coming from Dundee and a supposed rivalry between the Saintees and whatever happenned in 1960-whatever. 

It's comforting, familiar and I listen to it and enjoy. So much, I read about it on here and occasionally chip in. 

13 hours ago, gingermunkie said:

The whole Ouzy See conversation left a really really bad taste in my mouth. Was grim listening. 😬

Yes, I couldn't help but feel that. I'm not quite sure why, but it felt somewhat "off". 

As others have pointed out, he's been around for a while! 

Unlike others, I love a Wayne Rooney Granny joke though 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, Stylish Kid said:

Yes, I couldn't help but feel that. I'm not quite sure why, but it felt somewhat "off". 

As others have pointed out, he's been around for a while! 

I mean I’d be willing to bet the countdown millions that Tam Cowan wouldn’t call a white 28y/o player the shows new cuddly mascot…

16 hours ago, JagsCG said:

I know Tam’s Sunday headline jokes aren’t meant to be top quality comedy but they seemed particularly awful this week - Cosgrove seemed to be howling with laughter at them though. 

My rule of thumb, and it certainly seems to work with Cowan, is that anyone on TV or radio who refers to jokes as 'gags' is invariably about as funny as a I am.

The football journalist that was on on Sunday reckoned that an own goal scored by Paolo Vanoli against Dunfermline was in 1987. I knew he was miles out so looked it up and it was in 2003. Just 16 years out. A guy who writes about football and he's out by way more than a decade. Sums up football journalism tbh.

41 minutes ago, microdave said:

The football journalist that was on on Sunday reckoned that an own goal scored by Paolo Vanoli against Dunfermline was in 1987. I knew he was miles out so looked it up and it was in 2003. Just 16 years out. A guy who writes about football and he's out by way more than a decade. Sums up football journalism tbh.

Fucking hell. There were a lot fewer overseas players back in 1987 as well. Plus Vanoli was 15 in 1987 and three years away from his first starting appearance for a first team.

Furthermore, we never beat Rangers in 1987, losing both our games against them that year. In fact, we didn't even register a single goal, losing 0-4 and 4-0.

Indeed, in the entire 87/88 season, we lost three and drew one against Rangers, scoring only twice, neither of which were own goals. We beat them in a Scottish Cup tie in 1988, but again there were no own goals.

Edited by DA Baracus

On 03/10/2022 at 11:24, Stylish Kid said:

aye, I do chuckle at that repetition as well. Just tickles me. In the same way that Cosgrove, despite his internationalism, never fails to resort to parochialism and pettiness by regularly having a dig about the England 1966 "wingless wonders" or Bobby Moore shoplifting. You know it is is coming, heard it to death, but just makes me laugh out loud every time.