Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

40 minutes ago, Stylish Kid said:

I'm going to throw my hat in and say that it's actually got better and more accessible to non football fans in the last 5-10 years. Also, living in England it's a good reminder of home (yawn, ab'dy says this)

Anyway as this is my first post, I await getting flamed by all and sundry and getting accused of being an alt account for one of the hosts....

You chose to live there, so shut up.

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Is there not a bit of a contradiction in there?

Yes, I guess so. I think I appreciate that by being more all-encompassing, it recognises the importance of football within the wider culture in Scotland.

Ach who am I kidding, it's just that having folk like Alan Cumming on it means that my partner has an interest in listening that they otherwise wouldn't 😂

Caught a little of this yesterday and they were talking about bringing in a whoopee cushion next week, but then Cosgrove started saying that no doubt someone would be offended, then they asked who would be offended, then Cosgrove said he'd do it just to offend people.

Pretty sad stuff. They're always going on about folk being offended and how you "can't do/say that these days".

What is their seeming obsession with folk being 'offended'? Who is this faux outrage at people being offended by imaginary situations aimed towards? Why do they act like they're somehow above that nonsense and sneer at the thought of folk being 'offended' when it's them who continually bang on about it?

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Caught a little of this yesterday and they were talking about bringing in a whoopee cushion next week, but then Cosgrove started saying that no doubt someone would be offended, then they asked who would be offended, then Cosgrove said he'd do it just to offend people.

Pretty sad stuff. They're always going on about folk being offended and how you "can't do/say that these days".

What is their seeming obsession with folk being 'offended'? Who is this faux outrage at people being offended by imaginary situations aimed towards? Why do they act like they're somehow above that nonsense and sneer at the thought of folk being 'offended' when it's them who continually bang on about it?

It's just a variant on the old "young people today" shite that they grew up resenting about prior generations.

Apparently humanity has a blind spot where none of us can see when we're turning to our old man.

On 24/07/2022 at 12:30, Clown Job said:

Engelbert Humperdinck again, ffs.

How does a guy who spent his 20’s in the 1990’s have such a horrific taste in music

This.

Being similar age with Tam I don't know a single person in my peer group that shares his music taste. Lots of my pals into the likes of Depeche Mode, Metallica, various Indie, old punk stuff and even one twat who still listens to Oasis etc but none into half dead crooners from the 50s and 60s or Sydney Devine.

16 minutes ago, AndyM said:

This.

Being similar age with Tam I don't know a single person in my peer group that shares his music taste. Lots of my pals into the likes of Depeche Mode, Metallica, various Indie, old punk stuff and even one twat who still listens to Oasis etc but none into half dead crooners from the 50s and 60s or Sydney Devine.

The amount of time and effort spent in posting about Tam Cowan’s taste in music on here every week seems to be far greater than the time devoted to it on Off the Ball itself.

Can’t say I’m a fan of the Engelbert Humperdinck/Tony Christie type stuff that he likes. And some of the old Motown/Northern Soul stuff that Stuart Cosgrove clearly loves doesn’t do much for me either.   But so what ?.....that’s their taste. And a relatively small portion of each show is given over to their musical tastes.

On 01/08/2022 at 13:10, AndyM said:

This.

I didn't realise Tam Cowan is younger than Noel Gallagher.  There is a certain period in life, usually in your 20s, where listening to more "classic" music becomes more common I think.  For example when I was in secondary school I doubt many in my year listened to the likes of The Who regularly, but if you were to catch up on what everyone listens to now that would've almost certainly changed.  I suppose the message of big acts, especially the likes of Bruce Springsteen and The Clash etc is that their lyrics transcends generations.  The fact the music is good too helps.  Northern Soul also had a social commentary aspect to it as well I suppose. 

The difference with the likes of Englebert Humperdink, Sydney Devine et al is that they were probably always aimed at older people and those a bit square - even when they were modern acts.  

Edited by Highland Capital

On 01/08/2022 at 13:48, A96 said:

The amount of time and effort spent in posting about Tam Cowan’s taste in music on here every week seems to be far greater than the time devoted to it on Off the Ball itself.

Can’t say I’m a fan of the Engelbert Humperdinck/Tony Christie type stuff that he likes. And some of the old Motown/Northern Soul stuff that Stuart Cosgrove clearly loves doesn’t do much for me either.   But so what ?.....that’s their taste. And a relatively small portion of each show is given over to their musical tastes.

They've been on for literally decades, often multiple times a week.  That adds up just a wee bit when it's the same old stuff over and over and over again.

2 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

They've been on for literally decades, often multiple times a week.  That adds up just a wee bit when it's the same old stuff over and over and over again.

Please clarify.....are you talking about the show ?....or the posters on here who bang on about Cowan's musical taste ad nauseum ?

Ray Bradshaw makes the programme so much better. Can't remember the last time someone covering Scottish football voluntarily corrected themself.

C&C together make the show worse than the sum of their parts, when only one of them is there it's not so bad.