Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

899 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 16/06/2022 at 09:29, kingjoey said:

No idea why this annoys me so much, but Cosgrove speaking about his son always calls him "the wee man". Does ma heid in.

I often referred to my son as the wee man, a definite term of endearment.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Each to their own. To me it’s lazy, impersonal and smacks of weegieness. Just my opinion.

The extent of Aberdonians' hatred of Glasgow and Glaswegian culture is something to behold, so it is, by the way.

My pal was a cooncilor up here for a bit and recalls an application from an Orange Lodge to host a parade in the grey toon. Cue one veteran cooncilor (Muriel Jaffrey, who remembers when Robert the Bruce had some dealings with the local authority) to object strongly, not on the grounds of bigotry, but that "we dinna want to hae any o that Glasgow nonsense up here".

Saying "the wee man" is no less impersonal than saying "maloon" which is the common equivalent in these pairts.

17 minutes ago, velo army said:

The extent of Aberdonians' hatred of Glasgow and Glaswegian culture is something to behold, so it is, by the way.

My pal was a cooncilor up here for a bit and recalls an application from an Orange Lodge to host a parade in the grey toon. Cue one veteran cooncilor (Muriel Jaffrey, who remembers when Robert the Bruce had some dealings with the local authority) to object strongly, not on the grounds of bigotry, but that "we dinna want to hae any o that Glasgow nonsense up here".

Saying "the wee man" is no less impersonal than saying "maloon" which is the common equivalent in these pairts.

Hatred? Anyway it’s the “the” that gets on my nerves. The wife, the bairn, the wee man, the loon, the other half, the weans, the daughter, all shite.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Each to their own. To me it’s lazy, impersonal and smacks of weegieness. Just my opinion.

Does weegieness cover everything south of Perth?  My use of the phrase was very much Stirling based.

3 hours ago, velo army said:

Obviously nobody of sound mind wants bigoted parades, but I'm kind of with Muriel on this one. 

4 hours ago, ropy said:

Does weegieness cover everything south of Perth?  My use of the phrase was very much Stirling based.

Everything south west of Perth please.

There are civilised places in East where soap is not an unknown substance 

22 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Everything south west of Perth please.

There are civilised places in East where soap is not an unknown substance 

Where is the East/West border, Linlithgow?

41 minutes ago, ropy said:

Where is the East/West border, Linlithgow?

Usually reckoned to be Harthill although parts of West Lothian, Midlothian and East Lothian show alarming weegeeist tendencies such as a predilection for marching up and down with drums and flutes on July days annoying folk

There is also the vexed question of the Sauce Belt...

5 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Usually reckoned to be Harthill although parts of West Lothian, Midlothian and East Lothian show alarming weegeeist tendencies such as a predilection for marching up and down with drums and flutes on July days annoying folk

There is also the vexed question of the Sauce Belt...

So Polmont down through Harthill, seems reasonable 

8 hours ago, velo army said:

Cue one veteran cooncilor (Muriel Jaffrey, who remembers when Robert the Bruce had some dealings with the local authority) to object strongly, not on the grounds of bigotry, but that "we dinna want to hae any o that Glasgow nonsense up here".

Wasn't bigotry the chief component of the "Glasgow nonsense" she wisely identified?

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Wasn't bigotry the chief component of the "Glasgow nonsense" she wisely identified?

Probably, but my pal (a weegie) always found it amusing that the given reason for it was that it was Glasgow nonsense. 

On 22/06/2022 at 10:15, kingjoey said:

Hatred? Anyway it’s the “the” that gets on my nerves. The wife, the bairn, the wee man, the loon, the other half, the weans, the daughter, all shite.

Also The Rangers.