Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There really is a conspiracy of silence surrounding sectarian singing.

As seen, if it's brought up, it just sparks awkwardness.  It's embarrassing how the issue gets treated here.

Who was the guest who claimed* "I don't associate with that."?

*Lied, because if you support Sevco you absolutely associate with it.

32 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Who was the guest who claimed* "I don't associate with that."?

*Lied, because if you support Sevco you absolutely associate with it.

Catriona Shearer, the lady doth protest too much, methinks. Anti-Catholicism is the very essence of the 'club' she supports.

A club, whether Oldco or the phoenix club that is built on the foundations of intolerance and hatred.

The people who follow follow them sign up for this when they give this 'despicable' institution their support.

Shearer is no different.

Catroina-Shearer.thumb.jpg.91a99ed7ddf266011fc618ce8274f0a9.jpg

Edited by Bogbrush1903

5 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Catriona Shearer, the lady doth protest too much, methinks. Anti-Catholicism is the very essence of the 'club' she supports.

A club, whether Oldco or the phoenix club that is built on the foundations of intolerance and hatred.

The people who follow follow them sign up for this when they give this 'despicable' institution their support.

Shearer is no different.

Catroina-Shearer.thumb.jpg.91a99ed7ddf266011fc618ce8274f0a9.jpg

Yup. No doubt the usual suspects will be along here shortly to post laugh emojis about it or deflect or even change the subject, but that won't alter the issue. Even the rare Sevco fans who don't join in on some songs can't claim innocence here, as they still support the club and by extension the bigotry.

I've seen some Sevco fans claim that the bigoted stuff doesn't represent them and that the fans who do it have somehow 'stolen' their club. Nonsense. The fan who doesn't join is the outsider and it was never 'their club' and always the club for the bigots.

Shearer had only seconds previously talked up the good behaviour of the fans.

Meaning that anti Catholic singing is so natural to hear in Rangers crowds it doesn't even register. Stuart Cosgrove was absolutely right to call out that cognitive dissonance.

15 hours ago, Clown Job said:

He absolutely loves that kind of “banter”

12044D95-FA8D-4481-8C27-5A1A728D5CC8.jpeg

A fair amount of folk were posting stuff like that on here when Hamilton got scammed, might call them out later.

On the odd occasion something unsavoury is sung/done/chucked etc by fans of us diddly clubs the condemnation is always wholehearted, sincere and unanimous. We’re all proud of our team and don’t want anything that would reflect badly on us. If a big section of Dunfermline’s support started singing songs about murdering Jews or Muslims and it was being belted out on Radio Scotland commentary I don’t think our club or fans would rest until every single one was lifted and barred for life. I just don’t get why it gets a free pass for Rangers. 

That's simply not true unfortunately. You have a decent number of fans on here who will defend the behaviour of their own support no matter what. Look at any time there's a claim of racism, sectarianism or anything else along those lines at a "diddy club" and there are plenty trying to play it down.

It might make people feel better to claim it's only the Old Firm who do it, but it just isn't the case.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Shearer had only seconds previously talked up the good behaviour of the fans.

Meaning that anti Catholic singing is so natural to hear in Rangers crowds it doesn't even register. Stuart Cosgrove was absolutely right to call out that cognitive dissonance.

Absolutely. 

It really is amazing that we can have a support behaving like that, yet being widely praised.

Seriously, can you imagine a parallel whereby the faith group being attacked in this way was Muslim or Jewish?  It would rightly be a huge news story with statements being required and offered by all manner of parties.

Curiously though, it's ok when it's Catholics.  I'm not going to go with any John Reid 'back of the bus' pish, because pish it undoubtedly is.  However, it's extraordinary that this stuff Is somehow regarded as acceptable.

I think it gets passed off as football banter because Rangers' city rivals have that identity.  That really doesn't stand up as any defence at all though.  I'm certain it wouldn't in court.

The songs we've heard have explicitly referred to Catholics.  A club, game or society that was serious about cracking down on this shit, could.  However, it's not happening and it's those who highlight it who instead get regarded as distasteful.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

When a noisy minority of Clyde and Raith fans made dicks of themselves over the Goodwillie issue they were pulled up on it in a way that I have never seen from Rangers or Celtic fans pull up their own fans on their behaviour. It wasn't everyone but it was stamped down on.

The problem is its insidious. We pussyfoot around it by using oblique terms like sectarianism when we should be saying what it is. Racism. It's nothing to do with transubstantiation it's anti-Irish racism against Irish immigrants and the descendants of Irish immigrants. 

It's also insidious because it all just a silly laugh from the pub to mainstream output on the national broadcaster.

Listened for 5 minutes on the way to the shops there.

Main takeaway was a joke about wanking over an Olivia Newton John video.  Im not so holier than thou I might not make a similar joke with pals in the pub but again it's the national broadcaster putting out a show about football and saying this is a male heterosexual only space.

I don't think "don't like it, don't listen" cuts it. 

12 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Listened for 5 minutes on the way to the shops there.

Main takeaway was a joke about wanking over an Olivia Newton John video.  Im not so holier than thou I might not make a similar joke with pals in the pub but again it's the national broadcaster putting out a show about football and saying this is a male heterosexual only space.

I don't think "don't like it, don't listen" cuts it. 

As a gay man am I supposed to be offended?

I haven't listened to it in years, and Cowan himself is a very questionable character in that respect, but I can't say I ever felt the overall vibe of Off The Ball was particularly problematic. I'd say the show generally was fairly inclusive and had guests on from all sorts of backgrounds.