Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I accidentally caught the first couple of minutes of the show, didn't expect it to be on at this time. Someone will need to confirm this but did Cowan really open with a joke about Eilidh Barbour? I realise the man is absolutely tone-deaf when it comes to comedy, but I wasn't paying attention and when I did I couldn't believe he'd be so crash to open with such a line.

2 minutes ago, bennett said:

What did he say?

I didn't catch all of it, hence why I was asking, but from what I heard he tried to use a pun on the Barber of Saville, the opera, then spun it to say it may contain content that isn't suitable. Why wouldn't it be suitable? Because Barbour walked out on an after dinner speaker joked about women being sexually assaulted.

You'll need to check with people who actually listen to exactly what Cowan says. Perhaps there is a level of subtlety that I am missing, but going by his history I doubt it.

43 minutes ago, Ric said:

I didn't catch all of it, hence why I was asking, but from what I heard he tried to use a pun on the Barber of Saville, the opera, then spun it to say it may contain content that isn't suitable. Why wouldn't it be suitable? Because Barbour walked out on an after dinner speaker joked about women being sexually assaulted.

You'll need to check with people who actually listen to exactly what Cowan says. Perhaps there is a level of subtlety that I am missing, but going by his history I doubt it.

He has also aimed a dig at Eilidh on his Instagram. Sky Sports twitter posted a clip from yesterdays game of Martin O'Neill having a joke with Stan Petrov about his weight when he arrived at Celtic - Eilidh replied to the post saying she loved working with him O'Neill.

Cowan is trying to compare this to Copeland's vile abuse. He writes - "Not happy about this fat shaming and people laughing at it in 2022, I'm offended"..

Again it shows that this guy (Cowan) is in the dark ages. He's comparing overt racist, homophobic sexist remarks with affectionate ribbing between two professionals who respect and worked with each other over a period of 20 years. 

1 hour ago, Ric said:

I accidentally caught the first couple of minutes of the show, didn't expect it to be on at this time. Someone will need to confirm this but did Cowan really open with a joke about Eilidh Barbour? I realise the man is absolutely tone-deaf when it comes to comedy, but I wasn't paying attention and when I did I couldn't believe he'd be so crash to open with such a line.

Keeping in mind he was at the event last week, so he knows exactly what was said to upset her and others 

10 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Keeping in mind he was at the event last week, so he knows exactly what was said to upset her and others 

Copeland will run the same circuits as Cowan and they'll be mates.

1 minute ago, tamthebam said:

You got a mention over the post that there seemed to be tension in the studio. Which Connie and Tam denied :rolleyes:

Reading my posts on P&B whilst live on the radio. What a time to be alive.