Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tam is talking all over his stand in guest today. Think it’s Amy Irons. Maybe he’s out of sorts with his late night diversions off the M8, but he’s not on it.

Its like he doesn’t notice she’s there. Are they in the same studio? Raport is not there.

Edited by Scary Bear

Just now, Scary Bear said:

Tam is talking all over his stand in guest today. Think it’s Amy Irons. Maybe he’s out of sorts with his late night diversions off the M8, but he’s not on it.

Does it all the time, it seems he does it more when the guest is a female imo.

21 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Did Tam really just blame the EU for people not saying Empire Biscuits anymore? (I didn’t even realise was a thing either) 

Think he got it round the wrong way anyway. They were known as German Biscuits until the Great War, then they were more commonly known as Empire Biscuits when German sounding things (like the House of Saxe-Gotha) became a bit problematic. Of course in Fife where we are a lot more descriptive, we just call them Double Biscuits anyway.

1 minute ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Think he got it round the wrong way anyway. They were known as German Biscuits until the Great War, then they were more commonly known as Empire Biscuits when German sounding things (like the House of Saxe-Gotha) became a bit problematic. Of course in Fife where we are a lot more descriptive, we just call them Double Biscuits anyway.

I’m sure they were called Belgian Biscuits in Dundee way back when but that might have just been what the man who drove the Nicoll’s Rosebank Bakery called them. 

2 hours ago, spongeheid15 said:

Should be renamed The Tam Cowan show. Talking some pish the day. 

That's his raison d'être.  Never heard any of it today, but I would be shocked if Only fools and horses, fish and chips shops and Englebert Humperdink were not the main talking points. 

48 minutes ago, Spring Onion said:

That's his raison d'être.  Never heard any of it today, but I would be shocked if Only fools and horses, fish and chips shops and Englebert Humperdink were not the main talking points. 

He does a lot for charity  . . . as he likes to tell us . . .  repeatedly.

It didn't help that the actual guest contributed nothing. I listened for a good hour and can confirm he was a gardener, beyond that I have no idea.

It really shouldn't be difficult to get on someone who has a bit of a link to football.

12 hours ago, David W said:

It didn't help that the actual guest contributed nothing. I listened for a good hour and can confirm he was a gardener, beyond that I have no idea.

It really shouldn't be difficult to get on someone who has a bit of a link to football.

yep, just listen to it.  Both Amy & the guest didn't have much to say, leaving Tam just to go off on one. As for his link to football, he is  a DAB.

4 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Hopefully with Tam not on it today the music selection will be mostly within the last 40 years 

You could put together a fantastic show of over 40 year old songs (if Tam wasn't the DJ).

I like the show and actually don't mind Cowan himself but his contributions can be summarised as follows:

- talks about (pretty shite) old music acts that even my mum and dad (who are in their 70s) are to old for, as if all their listeners find them still relevant - I.e. Engelbert Humperdink, Tony Christie, Neil Diamond etc.

Side note - I actually find it weird someone his age ever got into them growing up in the 1980s? 😀

- also talks about (shite and dated) old comedy acts and shows as if they are still relevant- such as Two Ronnies Tommy Cooper, Morecambe and Wise, Porridge etc.

- shouts "oooccchhh aawway", "nonsense" when he can't understand the modern world and when someone points out he is a dinosaur. 

- talks about Rangers in Europe down the pub "with his big pal"

- Buckfast story from 1991

- cup final 1991, has a soft spot for united

- chip shops and how he is a "restaurant reviewer" rather than a food critic

- an anecdote from when he was a young journalist at the daily record

- labels a shithole "a fine part of the world"

- says he has no interest in English football and also says he also really hates rugby for an unknown reason

- talks about being in holiday in Vegas " the best place in the world"

Side note - the story about him hiring a mobility scooter to get around the strip in Vegas was pretty odd 🤔 

- story about Mark Mcghee and his taste for russian literature over a curry

Anyone got anymore? 😀

Edited by andyg83

27 minutes ago, andyg83 said:

I like the show and actually don't mind Cowan himself but his contributions can be summarised as follows:

- talks about (pretty shite) old music acts that even my mum and dad (who are in their 70s) are to old for, as if all they listeners find them still relevant - I.e. Engelbert Humperdink, Tony Christie, Neil Diamond etc.

Side note - I actually find it weird someone his age ever get into them growing up in the 1980s? 😀

- also talks about (shite and dated) old comedy acts and shows as if they are still relevant- such as Two Ronnies Tommy Cooper, Morecambe and Wise, Porridge etc.

- shouts "oooccchhh aawway", "nonsense" when he can't understand the modern weekend and when someone points out he is a dinosaur. 

- talks about Rangers in Europe Skewen the pub "with his big pal"

- says he has no interest in English football and also says he also really hates rugby for an unknown reason

Side note - the story about him hiring a mobility scooter to get around the strip was pretty odd 🤔 

Anyone got anymore? 😀

Paul Daniels saved his life

33 minutes ago, andyg83 said:

- talks about (pretty shite) old music acts that even my mum and dad (who are in their 70s) are to old for, as if all they listeners find them still relevant - I.e. Engelbert Humperdink, Tony Christie, Neil Diamond etc.

Side note - I actually find it weird someone his age ever get into them growing up in the 1980s? 😀

- shouts "oooccchhh aawway", "nonsense" when he can't understand the modern weekend and when someone points out he is a dinosaur. 

- talks about Rangers in Europe Skewen the pub "with his big pal"

Side note - the story about him hiring a mobility scooter to get around the strip was pretty odd 🤔 

Anyone got anymore? 😀

JFK moment 

Meeting Pele while taking a piss at the World Cup in 98

”You’d be arrested for saying that these days” 

As well as a gardener, he is actually a rugby coach and teacher at my sons school.