Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I read the comments about Chick Young yesterday, and I must admit I raised an eyebrow.  Listened to Saturdays show whilst I was grinding down the miles on the A1 heading South this morning and I must admit it was one of the better shows of recent months.  Tony F was an excellent guest, he's always good value.  

Edited by Doctor Sanchez

11 hours ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

I read the comments about Chick Young yesterday, and I must admit I raised an eyebrow.  Listened to Saturdays show whilst I was grinding down the miles on the A1 heading South this morning and I must admit it was one of the better shows of recent months.  Tony F was an excellent guest, he's always good value.  

I didn’t hear it on Saturday but I’ve heard Chick on it before and I think the show suits him. He’s better at that than his reporting/interviewing in my opinion. He can be quite a witty guy. 

4 hours ago, Rugster said:

I didn’t hear it on Saturday but I’ve heard Chick on it before and I think the show suits him. He’s better at that than his reporting/interviewing in my opinion. He can be quite a witty guy. 

I agree with that

He has been pretty good on it this weekend 

First time in a while I really enjoyed the show today, Stuart, Chick & Tony Fitzpatrick were very good. Some good stories.
Made a nice change from Cowan's reminiscing about seeing Fran & Anna back in 1982 at the Ayr Gaiety pish.

That's a bit of a novelty show. I thought they were better known for their singing [emoji6]

Whilst stripping wallpaper and sanding paint, I had it on in the background. It was actually listenable without Cowan. I usually turn it off after the first buuut! (usually about 12.10) but it was Cowan-free this week and what a difference it made. 
Good guest, good stand in for Cowan and essentially flowing relaxed presentation. Might be a one-off, but I’ll give it another go next week. 
What? Cowan is back next week? Oh well, was nice while it lasted. 

So that's agreed then ? Cowan fired with immediate effect and replaced by Chick Young ? And when Stuart's away no stand in, just Chick flying solo ?  I think that might just do it.
Chick used to have his on show on radio Scotland for an hour on a Thursday night when he phoned people around the world talking about football and how much beer cost in that country. Was a good listen, so I think him as the new host of Off the Ball will work well!!

7 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I used to see them walking around when I went to Coatbridge in my school holidays. I think they'd long retired but they still dressed up in full tartan nonsense and ridiculous make-up just for going round the shops. Thankfully I never saw them go for a pish.

They are both dead.   Retired in 1996.

My mum side of the family were friends, through my Grandad playing the banjo with there father back in the day.

Sly digs at Lewis Fiorini due to being at Lincoln it seems? Is he not one of our better prospects at the level?

Also the suggestion we should all step aside and let Ukraine through is an absolute nonsense. Fbpe twitter esque pish 

also enjoyed the shows this weekend but I quite like them with Cowan too. Easily pleased perhaps

Chic Young has actually always been alright in his own way.

He has genuine enthusiasm for Scottish football, unlike some others, and he clearly absolutely loves watching Scotland. He's a good storyteller with a decent sense of humour. OTB is probably the perfect vehicle for him, really. As mentioned before, his old Thursday night programme was actually really good.

The problem is that his actual job has led him to an unedifying level of sycophancy towards Rangers and anyone employed by them.

I'd be all for him doing OTB regularly and I think he and Cosgrove would make a good show.

I always like Chic Young on the wireless, he's obviously enthusiastic about Scottish football, and enjoyed him on OTB - but, Stuart Cosgrove is murder. Tony Fitzpatrick was a great guest and Cosgrove turns every conversation on to the Perth Saints. Cowan and Young would be a better combination is my opinion

26 minutes ago, razamanaz said:

I always like Chic Young on the wireless, he's obviously enthusiastic about Scottish football, and enjoyed him on OTB - but, Stuart Cosgrove is murder. Tony Fitzpatrick was a great guest and Cosgrove turns every conversation on to the Perth Saints. Cowan and Young would be a better combination is my opinion

No, nay, nyet,  nada....that would have been like the Beatles keeping Pete Best and instead sacking John Lennon with Gerry Marsden being brought in as replacement. 

5 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

No, nay, nyet,  nada....that would have been like the Beatles keeping Pete Best and instead sacking John Lennon with Gerry Marsden being brought in as replacement. 

Can we just get rid of Cosgrove and bring in Ringo then?