Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

The missus just asked me why I seemed a bit distracted and distant tonight.

Had to explain to her that it's hard to focus on other things when nobody can reliably settle the dispute about the transfer fee for Billy Dodds about thirty years ago.

TBF it has been settled. Aberdeen, Willie Miller, and the AFC Heritage site, which will get information from within the club, all state its £800k.

Its just the one, very odd, Aberdeen fan whos convinced himself its below that because he can't understand a joke.

So let’s simplify this

St J pay £400k for Dodds in Jan 94. They then get relegated 5 months later with Dodds scoring something like 5 goals. Does anybody really think ANY club would give St Johnstone double their money, when they’ve just been dumped down a division?

As I say, ask God, who was AFC manager at the time. He says it was £350k or thereabouts 

1 hour ago, Afc69 said:

Ask Willie Miller. He’s said on countless occasions on Sportsound that although the fee was reported as £800k, it was even less than the £400k that the Saintees paid for him. 

I wind Cosgrove up about on Twitter regularly. He always bites. And yet he must know the fee was never as reported 

Why are you admitting this?

1 hour ago, Afc69 said:

So let’s simplify this

St J pay £400k for Dodds in Jan 94. They then get relegated 5 months later with Dodds scoring something like 5 goals. Does anybody really think ANY club would give St Johnstone double their money, when they’ve just been dumped down a division?

As I say, ask God, who was AFC manager at the time. He says it was £350k or thereabouts 

Are you quoting gross or net?

Is it before or after tax and what about VAT?

Are you including national insurance and pension contributions?

15 hours ago, Afc69 said:

You realise he's saying that to wind up Cosgrove, right?

Or are you actually dense enough to think he's being serious?

He literally said at the time the deal was concluded it was your record fee spent. 

It's wild how deep you are into this, why do you care so much?

The wildest part is remembering the days when top-drawer Scottish clubs could consider handing out six-figure transfer fees instead of losing players for buttons to clubs at the bottom end of the professional game in England  :(

Was there any particular reason why Cosgrove was wanting to confront P&Bers in the studio? That bad boy Baracas been upsetting Tam again?

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

The wildest part is remembering the days when top-drawer Scottish clubs could consider handing out six-figure transfer fees instead of losing players for buttons to clubs at the bottom end of the professional game in England  :(

Was there any particular reason why Cosgrove was wanting to confront P&Bers in the studio? That bad boy Baracas been upsetting Tam again?

It seems daft, given the average poster on here will be more knowledgeable about Scottish football than either he or Cowan.  They'd get shown up.

8 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It seems daft, given the average poster on here will be more knowledgeable about Scottish football than either he or Cowan.  They'd get shown up.

Nobody would know. They'd never get a word in edgewise.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

You realise he's saying that to wind up Cosgrove, right?

Or are you actually dense enough to think he's being serious?

He literally said at the time the deal was concluded it was your record fee spent. 

It's wild how deep you are into this, why do you care so much?

You’re a grade A tool, mate.

It wasn’t on Off the Ball where Willie made the statement, it was Sportsound, so where does the winding up of Cosgrove come from? 

4 hours ago, Afc69 said:

You’re a grade A tool, mate.

It wasn’t on Off the Ball where Willie made the statement

Willie Miller also said it was over £650k, so you're arguing that Willie Miller knows more than Willie Miller here.

Personally I'll believe the version who commentated on the deal the day it happened, rather than the decrepit senile version we have now.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Willie Miller also said it was over £650k, so you're arguing that Willie Miller knows more than Willie Miller here.

Personally I'll believe the version who commentated on the deal the day it happened, rather than the decrepit senile version we have now.

I mean... Fucking hell.

STOP IT.

On 14/03/2022 at 21:05, craigkillie said:

I wouldn't trust Willie Miller if he told me it was Monday.

I nearly ran him over once. Stepped in the road without looking whilst clutching a bottle of wine. Gave me a filthy look. Probably reminded him of that time he ran into Hansen without looking.