Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

There was one point where Tam (I think) said regarding something Sevco related that half of the country would agree and the other half wouldn't, which begs the question "Who's his big team?"

I'm sure he's thon MJC p***k. 

I've listened to this programme for longer than I care to remember and I'm struggling to think of a worst guest than that guy today. For a comedian he was quite staggeringly unfunny.

Edited by David W

2 minutes ago, David W said:

I've listened to this programme for longer than I care to remember and I'm struggling to think of a worst guest than that guy today. For a comedian he was quite staggeringly unfunny.

I heard little bits of the show today and can’t believe that that guest “Stewart?” is a comedian! Who was it exactly?

Oor ain @Shandon Par had his joke read out on the show today. 

Presumable texted in from whichever hospital bed he's ended up in as a result of his latest mishap... :lol:

The joke was worth a Charles but as it was a radio show I can't give him one (cue Kenneth)

8 hours ago, David W said:

Did you ever hear the guy that writes Celtic plays?

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Oor ain @Shandon Par had his joke read out on the show today. 

Presumable texted in from whichever hospital bed he's ended up in as a result of his latest mishap... :lol:

The joke was worth a Charles but as it was a radio show I can't give him one (cue Kenneth)

Tam’s inability to pronounce Shandon always amuses me.

9 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I heard little bits of the show today and can’t believe that that guest “Stewart?” is a comedian! Who was it exactly?

He was still An Audience with Billy Connolly compared to that Old Firm Facts guy they have on sometimes.

I like the show but the problem is their content is led by whatever the tabloid media are reporting which is inevitably Sevco and Celtic. Did that Old Firm game in Australia shite really need any more coverage?

Edited by Gibby82

I think there's a problem with managing expectations around OTB.

The kind of person who uses this forum is much more into football than your average casual radio listener, and Radio Scotland are just looking for something light to have on when people are making their lunch etc.

If you're expecting an actual football show, you're thinking this through wrongly. It's a sort of half-way house designed to lead in to the football without necessarily forcing any non-fanatics to switch off by going to deep on niche football things. That's why you'll get more OF chat than before or than we really want.

I think OTB is generally OK-ish. Sometimes dreadful, sometimes really funny, usually just a shrug. Loved it back in the 90s and it's probably a bit tired now. But people thinking the BBC will replace it with something in the style of AVFTT are going to be very disappointed. That kind of show doesn't have the sort of appeal people to the general listener that it has to people who post on here. There's no way it gets a Saturday lunchtime.

Edited by VincentGuerin

On 06/03/2022 at 05:45, Crawford Bridge said:

Did you ever hear the guy that writes Celtic plays?

There was the daughter of one of the old comedians (Chic Murray maybe?) who insisted on referring to her father by his first name. She was just weird. I remember as well they had a particularly monosyllabic former player on in the not too distant past (I’m going to guess Derek Riordan?) who was dull as ditchwater. “Aye” or “Naw” was as good as it got. 

I have listened to the end of the show from Saturday which I missed, and to hear three “football” guys not having a scooby how VAR works was pretty unbelievable. Stuart (the guest) thinking that someone from the company that provides the VAR system makes the decisions, and Stuart (Cosgrove) thinking that it has to be someone that would have some knowledge of the rules that oversees the system. Incredible, even for Off The Ball.

18 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I have listened to the end of the show from Saturday which I missed, and to hear three “football” guys not having a scooby how VAR works was pretty unbelievable. Stuart (the guest) thinking that someone from the company that provides the VAR system makes the decisions, and Stuart (Cosgrove) thinking that it has to be someone that would have some knowledge of the rules that oversees the system. Incredible, even for Off The Ball.

I missed that but it does not surprise me.

To be honest I find OTB a bit of a chore to listen to when I'm driving to a game and I usually end up on another radio station. Generally I don't mind Cosgrove but Tam Cowan's stuck in the 1970s mode where he probably baffles 60 percent of the listening audience by referencing of shit bawdy comedies from 1978 and knowing nothing about music beyond crooner singers is utterly stale.

It does feel like it has run it's course. 

19 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

His promo vid (presumably his best work) is on hilarious subject of some people being protestant and some being Catholic.

You can see why its up Tams street 

"A work of genius" - The Daily Record

No further questions, m'lud.