Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 hours ago, ropy said:

It used to be essential live listening to me, now I catch up slowly through the week via the podcast.  I get annoyed at the same old stories and the talking over each other.  I don’t mind the music but I do wonder how Tam ended up with his tastes.  He couldn’t have got Radio 1 reception on his tranny as a child.  I still listen though.

I believe it is the most listened to and therefore most popular show on Radio Scotland.

Its not for everyone though.

Its on at a prime time and has what is basically a captive audience - there is no other option with which people could either compare or potentially swap to (dinnae sae the Clyde SSB stuff.......)

It used to be decent, but its well past its sell by date and utterly boring now..............I mean, how many times does Tam need to retell anecdotes about one of his "great showbiz mates" who passed away several years ago??

22 hours ago, ropy said:

It used to be essential live listening to me, now I catch up slowly through the week via the podcast.  I get annoyed at the same old stories and the talking over each other.  I don’t mind the music but I do wonder how Tam ended up with his tastes.  He couldn’t have got Radio 1 reception on his tranny as a child.  I still listen though.

I believe it is the most listened to and therefore most popular show on Radio Scotland.

Its not for everyone though.

it used to be essential listening for me too, now if i miss it, i miss it, i don't do the podcast thing, i could also believe its the most popular show on Radio Scotland, as its the only time i'm tuned into that station, and i'm probably not alone in that.

On 15/11/2021 at 11:36, DiegoDiego said:

Most people care very little about the subject matter of their jobs but still turn up and don't get fired.

I'm not sure about most, but I agree there is a lot of that - but most of those people won't be hosting a live radio show; and none will last anywhere near 27 years in their job.  I hate to sound like a weird fanboy of the show, but I just find this a really odd line of criticism - to suggest that they somehow don't care about the show.  Any objective listener can tell that the show is very important to them, even if they have an off-the-cuff style and sometimes discuss subjects that they do not have a lot of knowledge of.

23 hours ago, Ric said:

Here's an idea, how about no servings of shit being on the menu?

It's certainly not the majority view though.

I would love an endless of number of top quality options, but the reality is that there are a limited number of podcasts for Scottish football fans.  I've tried Totally Football, The Terrace, Open Goal etc. - and none of them are half as entertaining. You might say the Off the Ball is the best of a bad bunch, but I would say that's pretty unfair - as I'm sure I've said elsewhere on this thread, The Terrace, Open Goal etc. will be lucky to last 27 months never mind 27 years.

And the poll at the top of the page suggests it may well be the majority view...

23 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

If I was them and I read this thread, I'd see it as a major success. Even the people who claim they don't like it never miss a show.

Not only do they listen to it, but they then log on here and discuss it - at length.

15 minutes ago, Ric said:

Want to know how I know it's not the most popular show on Radio Scotland? 

If it was then both Cowan and Cosgrove wouldn't shut up about it.

They are my source.  I realise it’s not strong evidence but they have mentioned it a couple of times on the show.

1 minute ago, ropy said:

They are my source.  I realise it’s not strong evidence but they have mentioned it a couple of times on the show.

Yes, but they, as they frequently admit themselves, are ill-informed.

It will be a sad day when Tam Cowan stops boiling over about P&B posters derogatorily referring to his shite taste in music.

Excellent way to get your username read out on air, if anyone has a remarkably low-effort bucket list.

They make a big deal of not pandering to the Uglies. First 20 minutes of Saturday's show.........prolonged discussion on how to pronounce The Rangers new manager..........Rangers fans phone in with your feelings on Gerrard. Everyone else 'what's your teams Dutch connection?' in homage to The Rangers new appointment. Guest.......... 'What team do you support?' 'Eh Sellic'.........aye right boys.

They make a big deal of not pandering to the Uglies. First 20 minutes of Saturday's show.........prolonged discussion on how to pronounce The Rangers new manager..........Rangers fans phone in with your feelings on Gerrard. Everyone else 'what's your teams Dutch connection?' in homage to The Rangers new appointment. Guest.......... 'What team do you support?' 'Eh Sellic'.........aye right boys.
No change there then. All this pretending to be about more than those two, yet its all they can do to talk about them in the end.

On 21/11/2021 at 13:25, Lurkst said:

Dougray Scott lets off an f-bomb :D

(three apologies issued so far and counting...)

There is usually the choice of the full program or the condensed podcast available on BBC Sounds, presumably the above is the reason why the former is not available today.

2 hours ago, ropy said:

There is usually the choice of the full program or the condensed podcast available on BBC Sounds, presumably the above is the reason why the former is not available today.

The bit where he says it is on the podcast, it's just bleeped out and the apologies appear to be cut out too.