Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

899 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Listening to yesterday's edition on catchup. Cosgrove suggesting Mark Walters could've played for Scotland ??? 🤔

It rang a very faint bell in the back of my mind that there was some talk of it when he played for Rangers 

He'd had England U21 caps by then. His one full cap was under Graeme Taylor against NZ in a friendly.

Incidentally when he signed for Rangers the papers were full of talk about him being the Scottish League's first black player for years. They were obviously ignorant of Vic Kasule who'd been playing for Albion Rovers and Meadowbank before Walters signed. Scottish football journalism was fucking shite 35 years ago too 

Incidentally when he signed for Rangers the papers were full of talk about him being the Scottish League's first black player for years. They were obviously ignorant of Vic Kasule who'd been playing for Albion Rovers and Meadowbank before Walters signed. Scottish football journalism was fucking shite 35 years ago too 

The coverage was really shocking when you look back on it now. I think it was a month or so after Walters signed (late December 87 IIRC) Scottish Football Today had a story about his immediate impact on the game here.

IMG_2677.jpg

The following month, they ran a story on a former Hearts player.

IMG_2678.jpg

10 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

What minute will Cowan chip in with "Whit aboot Faddy's goal in Paris?!"

Followed by the claim that the majority of Tartan Army fans in the ground that night actually missed the goal due to taking selfies with their backs to the pitch

Todays show is utter mince.

Was only brightened up when Richard Gordon came on and tried to convince us that Glass appointment was nothing whatsoever to do with the Atlanta connection, and just that he "happened to fit the exact profile of the required manager".....................

8 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Todays show is utter mince.

Was only brightened up when Richard Gordon came on and tried to convince us that Glass appointment was nothing whatsoever to do with the Atlanta connection, and just that he "happened to fit the exact profile of the required manager".....................

I heard that just as I was turning into my street. It’s ok Richard, you are allow to question some of the decisions your club makes.

10 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I could have lived happily without ever hearing a sea shanty. I’ve now heard the same one twice in the space of 5 minutes on a programme that’s supposedly about football.

I think there only is one, it's just speeded up or slowed down.

10 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I could have lived happily without ever hearing a sea shanty. I’ve now heard the same one twice in the space of 5 minutes on a programme that’s supposedly about football.

Should have had Alestorm on, they've been singing shanties for years before this imposter

OK maybe "F*cked with an anchor" is a bit strong for midday radio but it would have been entertaining

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Should have had Alestorm on, they've been singing shanties for years before this imposter

OK maybe "F*cked with an anchor" is a bit strong for midday radio but it would have been entertaining

Keelhauled is a stone cold classic. 

Got a wee mention myself there. 

It was meant as an wry comment slagging the site's owner as often happens on here, Tam, get it up ye :P

Ach weel, at least there's quality on Sportsound next- the Edinburgh City manager :thumsup2

Peterhead is (much) further away from a train station than Forfar is.

Where do they get this stuff? That's a really easy one to check. It's about a 15 minute bus ride from Montrose train station. Peterhead is a windy almost 1 hour bus ride from Aberdeen (about 35/40 minutes in a car).

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Where do they get this stuff? That's a really easy one to check. It's about a 15 minute bus ride from Montrose train station. Peterhead is a windy almost 1 hour bus ride from Aberdeen (about 35/40 minutes in a car).

All information on the show can be found in the Wee Red Book circa 1987

43 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Cosgrove then piped up with a mention of Annan.  Unsurprisingly in a place the size of Annan, the railway station isn't far from the ground at all.

Tam Cowan later referred to the famous photos of Pele training at Troon Juniors' ground.  He said that Pele wasn't yet a superstar at the time, even though he'd already won 2 World Cups by then. 

They're just a pair of stupid auld blethers.   Neither is actually old enough for that to inspire affection.