Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

899 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I clocked this.Screenshot_20201018-093023_Instagram.jpeg

What a fanny.  Here, Tam, I presume you or some lacky checks up on this thread the sensitive wee soul that you are - as such, the lack of a birth name doesn't make the post any less true.  He's no a witness in fucking court.  

7 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Haha, I'm not trying to wind him up or anything like that.

I've emailed in with my real name plenty of times, so it wouldn't be difficult to work out who I am if he reads all the correspondence like he says.

However if it makes any difference (and it doesn't) I can provide my name to Mr Cowan should he wish.

P.S. How can say "unlike certain proper shitebags I know" but then claim not to know my real name?

P.P.S. I hope Tam enjoyed the game on Saturday.

The problem with Tam is he will dish it out like most folk at the BBC but won't take it back, mind when they chucked Micheal Stewart for having a go at someone and it was deemed unfair, yet here we see Tam utterly frothing because someone called his taste in music shite (it is) but DA Baracus isn't on air to defend himself. As per usually the fuds at the Beeb using licence fee money to further their own agendas and folk still pay it - mad.

Tam when you read this maybe its time to update the tag line of your show from petty and ill-informed to self serving and moronic.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

The problem with Tam is he will dish it out like most folk at the BBC but won't take it back, mind when they chucked Micheal Stewart for having a go at someone and it was deemed unfair, yet here we see Tam utterly frothing because someone called his taste in music shite (it is) but DA Baracus isn't on air to defend himself. As per usually the fuds at the Beeb using licence fee money to further their own agendas and folk still pay it - mad.

Tam when you read this maybe its time to update the tag line of your show from petty and ill-informed to self serving and moronic.

I did insult him so I don't see an issue with him defending himself and giving a bit back.

I've been listening to Off The Ball since the start and it's definitely a habit. When not at the football I'll always have it on.

It's been discussed a lot but it's become so sycophantic and arse licking towards what it used to vehemently oppose and proudly stand against. Folk like me who felt that the show was for them have been so disappointed and feel let down by a show that spoke to and for us.

The slagging of Tam Cowan's musical tastes are nothing new and I'm sure he's used to it and it most likely doesn't bother him. 

Anyway, still unsure why I should be posting under my real name on here. No one else does and it's because it would be extremely unwise given how many psychos there are kicking around. 

8 minutes ago, 101 said:

It's possible to recognise that Tam Cowan has really deteriorated as a broadcaster and become something of a sycophantic arse these days, yet still think the BBC licence fee represents terrific value for money.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It's been discussed a lot but it's become so sycophantic and arse licking towards what it used to vehemently oppose and proudly stand against. Folk like me who felt that the show was for them have been so disappointed and feel let down by a show that spoke to and for us.

That's exactly it.

Well put Sir.

I did insult him so I don't see an issue with him defending himself and giving a bit back.
I've been listening to Off The Ball since the start and it's definitely a habit. When not at the football I'll always have it on.
The slagging of Tam Cowan's musical tastes are nothing new and I'm sure he's used to it and it most likely doesn't bother him. 
Anyway, still unsure why I should be posting under my real name on here. No one else does and it's because it would be extremely unwise given how many psychos there are kicking around. 
Totally. I went to a live show they did, it must have been around 2001 or 2002 and people were encouraged to come along wearing their teams shirt. There were Pars, Arabs, Hibs and Hearts, Aberdeen, even Cowdenbeath and a couple of junior clubs there and while there were a few Rangers or Celtic tops on show, those guys got a good-natured slagging and a lot of the material on the night was about how paranoid Old Firm fans are, how fans of every other club can't stand either of them, how young players going there to rot in the reserves was one of the worst things that can happen to a player at your club etc. When I listen to it now (which is rare) it's like two completely different people. Sad.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

But if we are going to play along to the utterly mad BBC rules he should be creating an account here to square go with you. This season is the first season I haven't heard any of the show and I don't miss it - the days a long gone when a bit of a laugh makes up for being well researched, coherent, engaging and entertaining. 

The "tropes" are so old they are mainly distant history or false now.

To be honest the Psychos on here can find where you live, knowing you name would probably make it easier to identify your body and notify your next of kin as least your ashes could be presented in a tasteful "off the ball mug"

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

It's possible to recognise that Tam Cowan has really deteriorated as a broadcaster and become something of a sycophantic arse these days, yet still think the BBC licence fee represents terrific value for money.

Was he ever a broadcaster - I thought he was a food critic who by virtue of being near the back of the paper was mistaken for a sports hack and wheeled in. Hilarious that the BBC either listen to it and think what a great show or don't listen to their prime time Saturday show

Is Tam using the licence fee to further his own agenda here? I thought it was a response on his personal Instagram account.

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

Was he ever a broadcaster - I thought he was a food critic who by virtue of being near the back of the paper was mistaken for a sports hack and wheeled in. Hilarious that the BBC either listen to it and think what a great show or don't listen to their prime time Saturday show

I thought the food critic thing came off the back of OTB, but I might be wrong.  

Either way, I'd say it's probably fair to describe someone who's been on the radio for quarter of a century as a broadcaster.

5 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
27 minutes ago, 101 said:

Is Tam using the licence fee to further his own agenda here? I thought it was a response on his personal Instagram account.

Sorry Tam - correct but it was following a personal attack broadcast using licence fee payers technology and whilst being paid for by the fee payer.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Either way, I'd say it's probably fair to describe someone who's been on the radio for quarter of a century as a broadcaster.

Surely not? But it wouldn't surprise me, I think you could be a journalist on the radio for that length of time anyway it all goes with what your obituary would be that's when someone makes a call on what you spent your life doing so I would guess Tam would get; Red Top Supremo Tam Cowan or Celeb 'Well Fan Tam Cowan.

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

He started with a funny piss take column in the Evening Times circa 1992 then moved to the Record then I think it was OTB around 1994. I think it was late 90s when he got the restaurant review gig at the Record.

Just googled- OTB since 95.

I can remember the exact moment OTB went from being very anti-OF and pro the other 40 clubs, to being an OF arse lick-fest.  It was when Rangers died in 2012.  The mask slipped when it came to pass that the new Rangers weren't just going to be shoehorned into the 2012-2013 First Division.

They were secretly happy all those years for the OF to be a thing they could take the piss out of, then when it was no more, the whole style of the show changed.  Now it's just ex OF players or famous fans of one of them on.  It's like they're trying to make up for lost time and making the show about them as much as possible.  Cosgrove still has the old dig, but Cowan licks their hairy ring so hard.  Especially Rangers.

17 minutes ago, stevieKTID said:

Strange that Cowan is constantly going on about Instagram being a nice and friendly platform then uses it to have a go at someone. 

That's what I thought, I'm sure he said he is thinned skinned so opted for Instagram.

It does appear that Tam has forgotten he is ment to be an everyday normal fan on a radio show and  is coming across as a celebrity wannabe diva.

He is fine to dish out the "laughs" tropes and abuse at anyone and everyone on the show but really can't take a bit of a dig back the way. That comes across on the show as well when someone has a laugh at his expense, he doesn't stop nipping away for the rest if the show. Petty would be right enough.