Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Colour me shocked that BBC pundits like Cosgrove don't like P&B.

It's because P&B largely does the job of the Scottish football media infinitely better than they do and whilst Cosgrove and Cowan may not form part of the 'media', this site equally shows them up as having dated and fucking moronic views on football and that's coming from someone that doesn't mind listening to Cowan.

They are both big fans of the site and both read it regularly. 

11 hours ago, Div said:

They are both big fans of the site and both read it regularly. 

So here's an idea Div. Give them a syndicated section of the forum. You would need to make sure it was quite tightly moderated, there is no point in it being a "pile-on", and I don't believe either would be interested in having to bat off ad hominem or strawman attacks. However, there could be benefits both for them and for P&B (and presumably your ad revenue.. ;)).

For them, it would give an opportunity to interact directly with one of the largest (the largest?) independent, multi club and multi generational, online community of Scottish football fans. It allows them to test out material before it appears on the show and at the same time gauge the temperature public opinion online. It would also help them engage in a medium that it's clear they are either unsure of, or at least demonstrate a level of scepticism (not all of us dwell in our granny's basement!). It would also provide them with a vital connection to fans during a period where neither fans are going to games, or congregating in pubs.

For your part there is obviously a kudos from having OTB connected to P&B. It would bring in members and help raise the profile and, of course, advertising revenue if scaled properly could help with covering an increase in bandwidth use.

This doesn't need to be specifically aimed towards Cowan and Cosgrove, the lads from The Terrace certainly seem more Internet savvy and while I have no idea whether any of them have accounts on here, the attraction of some sort of official presence would be similar to OTB, but clearly this post is slanted towards OTB due to the thread we're in.

11 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Does Cosgrove still have an account on here?  Soulfull Saint or something as I recall.

Not seen him post on the Saints thread, ever, in my 10+ years here, daresay he might have been in the music section though.

@soulfulsaint I think?

Edited by RandomGuy.

12 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

On here? get away!

11 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

In real life, although I'm not sure why that makes my opinions less valid.

Who said your opinion was invalid? The point I was making is that being a friendless loner on this site doesn't make you unique.

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

Who said your opinion was invalid? The point I was making is that being a friendless loner on this site doesn't make you unique.

The usual defence from das is that folk who make a criticism online are some sort of sad weirdo loner who still lives with their parents, with the obvious insinuation that this makes their opinions less valid or even not valid at all.

23 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The usual defence from das is that folk who make a criticism online are some sort of sad weirdo loner who still lives with their parents, with the obvious insinuation that this makes their opinions less valid or even not valid at all.

What point are you trying to make? I assumed you were joking or exaggerating. I tried to continue that by making a fairly obvious and generally standing joke that many posters are loner, alkies, virgins, gammons...insert insult of your choice.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What point are you trying to make? I assumed you were joking or exaggerating. I tried to continue that by making a fairly obvious and generally standing joke that many posters are loner, alkies, virgins, gammons...insert insult of your choice.

I got your joke. I don't live with my parents, nor am I some sort of weirdo.

My point was that folk often use these insults when criticised by folk online, in an effort to discredit the person making the criticism and thus the criticism itself.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

I got your joke. I don't live with my parents, nor am I some sort of weirdo.

My point was that folk often use these insults when criticised by folk online, in an effort to discredit the person making the criticism and thus the criticism itself.

I didn't though. I think I'll leave it there. 

35 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I think if folk like Cowan or Cosgrove actively seek out constructive/objective feedback through other mediums and from the right people, then you're probably justified in ignoring social media/fitba forums/the internet.

They're probably not though and taking the lazy/easy route of just dismissing 'the internet' as fan nonsense.