Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Minor heads gone/Absolutely bathered 

It's absolutely clear that what bothers talentless hacks like Cowan is that places like P&B expose their lazy characterisation of Scottish football fans as utter shite.

People like Cowan like to imagine, and portray, football fans in Scotland as sitting talking all day about show ponies like Davie Cooper, the excitement of Old Firm title races and characters like Chick fucking Charnley. 

They try and characterise people on sites like this as friendless loners and internet weirdos because, like all journalists, they can't deal with the fact that their bullshit had been exposed, that they don't control the narrative and that people in places like this are more informed and more active in Scottish football than people like them who steal a living from the game.

He's an outsider looking in, it's not an age and/or generation thing it's a laziness/stubbornness. He can't accept the landscape has shifted (and that goes for his politics, music and ethics too). If I had to sum him up in one image it would be this..

srEbSKB.jpg

..with the caveat that Cowan was never necessarily "with it" in the first place.

Edited by Ric

7 minutes ago, Ric said:

He's an outsider looking in, it's not an age and/or generation thing it's a laziness/stubbornness. He can't accept the landscape has shifted (and that goes for his politics, music and ethics too). If I had to sum him up in one image it would be this..

srEbSKB.jpg

..with the caveat that Cowan was never necessarily "with it" in the first place.

Was it you he was referring to, with the 'Don't Look Now' avatar?

Absolutely shocking ignorance of The Past, if so. Unforgivable Sutherland confusion.

Just now, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Was it you he was referring to, with the 'Don't Look Now' avatar?

:lol: ..I'd be surprised if it was, I didn't listen to the show so I have no context but I can't think of anything overly contentious I've said on here. I don't even know the script between Cowan and DA Baracus.

[emoji38] ..I'd be surprised if it was, I didn't listen to the show so I have no context but I can't think of anything overly contentious I've said on here. I don't even know the script between Cowan and DA Baracus.
He's gently simmering over posters accusing him of being behind the times. His trump card was that his critics on P&B have a Don't Look Now avatar ("a film from 1974!"), and a username derived from the A-Team, a television programme from the Eighties.

Trenchant, and a huge telt for the pair of you, no doubt.

6 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

He's gently simmering over posters accusing him of being behind the times. His trump card was that his critics on P&B have a Don't Look Now avatar ("a film from 1974!"), and a username derived from the A-Team, a television programme from the Eighties.

Trenchant, and a huge telt for the pair of you, no doubt.

Maybe it is me. Clearly pointing out the blindingly obvious has gotten under his skin.

That said, imagine being so annoyed by a medium (and one he is utterly dismissive of) to the extent that he has a go on a national broadcasting platform where there is no right of reply. Absolute minter of a play.

Another suitable image for the lad..

c4a.gif

Edited by Ric

TBF it's not even Cowan and Cosgrove that are to blame. Ill informed windbag are entitled to their tastes and opinions.

It's the BBC devoting about 8 hours a week to their pish which annoys me. They have absolute contempt for their audience.

See also Kenny McIntyre, analysis from Biscuits and Doddsy, Jim Spence, Chick Young, Neil McCann, James McFadden, Pat Bonner  et al

A who's who of shit thick, sub-talksport garbage served up for the most discerning engaged football fans in the world.

Edited by invergowrie arab

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

TBF it's not even Cowan and Cosgrove that are to blame. Ill informed windbag are entitled to their tastes and opinions.

It's the BBC devoting about 8 hours a week to their pish which annoys me. They have absolute contempt for their audience.

See also Kenny McIntyre, analysis from Biscuits and Doddsy, Jim Spence, Chick Young, Neil McCann, James McFadden, Pat Bonner  et al

A who's who of shit thick, sub-talksport garbage served up for the most discerning engaged football fans in the world.

It's a fair point.

I don't mind McIntyre as much but it's a broad brush of shame for the other names you mentioned. It's a litany of shame too, from these so called "footballing experts" knowing f**k all about how the Bet Fred early rounds worked to how the Nations League works, down to why people may not agree with successful businesswoman Anne Budge's world view. I'm not blaming them for not knowing in the first place, but they are literally paid to give opinion on these matters. Not knowing the basics is a damning indictment. I'm sure they are all "good old lads" while standing up at a bar giving it anecdotes from their playing days, but that's not what they are there for. What's more, if they don't know they should just say, "I'm not sure" or "I've not looked into it in detail", instead they try to bluff their way through things as if they have the knowledge. The fucking Internet is at their fingertips, it takes seconds to swat up on a subject, no doing so is just lazy and shows contempt for your audience. The old adage, "better to keep quiet and let people think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and prove it", certainly seems apt.

That applies to Cowan and Cosgrove too. Let me be clear I'm not calling them idiots, it's clear they are not, I'm calling them lazy and as I've mentioned before the "ill informed" tag may have seemed irreverent in the late 90s, it's now associated with twitter trolls, trump deplorables and conspiracy fools.

Missed this today. Forgot it was on and listened to the Hibs game instead whilst doing the shopping (had my wee portable radio as left my phone at home, and the reception inside Tesco isn't great so I missed the last two goals!).

To be fair, I am mainly a friendless loner, but that's down to mental health issues and not because I sometimes kill time on this site talking about football and other nonsense. I wouldn't classify myself as a weirdo but I suppose it's down to others to make that judgement!

Also, I was born in the 1980s and loved some A-Team, although it was actually mainly in the 1990s when I watched it. Me and some school pals used to love BA Baracus and Mr T in general. We once came up with names for a talk show that he'd host. My efforts were 'Time for T' and T-alk'.

Edited by DA Baracus

"...in my column in the Scottish Sun.."

Reading out a text from a listener re the Wee Red Book "..he worked for a Scottish newspaper.."

I'll bet the original text mentioned the said newspaper's name, a rival to the Current Bun. Nice bit of the usual undue product placement there from Cowan 

Colour me shocked that BBC pundits like Cosgrove don't like P&B.

It's because P&B largely does the job of the Scottish football media infinitely better than they do and whilst Cosgrove and Cowan may not form part of the 'media', this site equally shows them up as having dated and fucking moronic views on football and that's coming from someone that doesn't mind listening to Cowan.