Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guess I picked the wrong day to tune in and give it another chance.

A 70's jokefest which was only made worse by Cosgrove laughing hysterically at every shite joke Cowan came out with. 'Superb .  .  . Classic .  .  .'

'Pish' is the word Stuart. I like most of what you do on TV and Radio, but on OTB you're stealing a wage.

On 01/04/2020 at 11:49, Archie McSquackle said:

To be fair, Scrappy Doo was an abomination in the Scooby Doo series.

My cultural references in the office weren't helped by the one guy of a similar age to me being Irish. Music was generally ok but tv references were a bit hit and miss, particularly adverts. The Irish guy was obviously completely onto plums when he started talking about Irish tv adverts from 30 odd years ago, resulting in internal emails linking to shite YouTube clips.

The BBC will know who is listening and I'd imagine that there are vastly more over 40s listening to the radio than under.

The moment I first felt a strong generation gap was when two early 20s girls I worked with didn't know who Dean Martin was. I would only have been 8 or 9 years older but the real gap is between those who grew up with four TV channels and one telly in most houses that meant you watched what your parents/grandparents watched and picked up the same frame of reference versus those who grew up with access to media aimed directly at them.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

The BBC will know who is listening and I'd imagine that there are vastly more over 40s listening to the radio than under.

Got two points about that.

1) Saying "listening on the radio" is a touch anachronistic.

2) Are we talking cause/effect or a correlation? If you imagine it's 40yo+ that listen to it because it appeals to their humour (I'm in that category and it sure as hell doesn't appeal to me) or is it the case that the only audience that can stomach the tiresome and seriously outdated patter are those of a certain generation.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Got two points about that.

1) Saying "listening on the radio" is a touch anachronistic.

2) Are we talking cause/effect or a correlation? If you imagine it's 40yo+ that listen to it because it appeals to their humour (I'm in that category and it sure as hell doesn't appeal to me) or is it the case that the only audience that can stomach the tiresome and seriously outdated patter are those of a certain generation.

There are obviously different ways of listening but people who listen live still have to be the priority for radio stations. Anyone who moans that the podcast they download every week is rubbish can be ignored.

Over 50s listen to significantly more radio than under 50s (going by Offcom over 65s listen to 80% more than u35s). When you then account for stations appealing to different ages it becomes more starkly stratified and more justified for Radio Scotland to aim their show at Tam and Stuart's demographic. 

If Radio Scotland do anything it should be to make their live football coverage more professional and clean out the whole Open All Mics team. They seem to think they can do Soccer Saturday banter without actually offering the level the football content you get on Soccer Saturday. People only put up with Nicholas and co on SS because they know will get quick accurate info. Richard Gordon is not up to the Selling role. 

Edited by Detournement

37 minutes ago, Detournement said:

There are obviously different ways of listening but people who listen live still have to be the priority for radio stations. Anyone who moans that the podcast they download every week is rubbish can be ignored.

That's a fair point, although I'd maybe ask what is the point in creating a toxic show if it means no new listeners come on stream whether that is live or catch up.

Over 50s listen to significantly more radio than under 50s (going by Offcom over 65s listen to 80% more than u35s). When you then account for stations appealing to different ages it becomes more starkly stratified and more justified for Radio Scotland to aim their show at Tam and Stuart's demographic. 

Got to say I absolutely disagree with that. Try that argument with something far more emotive, like the Black and White Minstrel Show. Clearly not the same, but going by your premise the BBC should have continued to broadcast it because it appealed to a demographic.

If Radio Scotland do anything it should be to make their live football coverage more professional and clean out the whole Open All Mics team. They seem to think they can do Soccer Saturday banter without actually offering the level the football content you get on Soccer Saturday. People only put up with Nicholas and co on SS because they know will get quick accurate info. Richard Gordon is not up to the Selling role. 

There is lots RS could do, but that isn't what this thread is about. Personally I like the idea of OAM, but the execution is way too loose and it results in a very uneven show. Got to say the very little I've ever listened to SS it's been as much a car crash as you'd expect from an independent radio station.

Edited by Ric

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Cowan opening the show with some sycophantic pish. Slurp slurp.

There's so much to discuss but he says that the leagues should be played to a finish in August so that Celtic and Sevco fans can't argue about it.

What a snivelling creep.

I am  more concerned about Tam challenging Leitch on the limits of the new easing of lockdown restrictions.  That’s bonkers he said.
He is falling into the give them an inch and they will take a mile crowd.  Can we take a bucket to pee in a friends garden.  Just go home Tam. 

7 minutes ago, ropy said:

I am  more concerned about Tam challenging Leitch on the limits of the new easing of lockdown restrictions.  That’s bonkers he said.
He is falling into the give them an inch and they will take a mile crowd.  Can we take a bucket to pee in a friends garden.  Just go home Tam. 

He's an idiot who thinks in tabloid terms.

He's just gushed over Ann Budge.

On 19/04/2020 at 09:55, Buddie Holly said:

i like off the ball but there’s one thing that puts me off.why does cosgrove try to finish off peoples sentences?its annoying and rude.

cosgrove.jpg.45c248fa76e43330bd30d19e36b1f1d1.jpg

Tam Cowan once again genuinely astonished that folk don't share his absolutely shite taste in music and TV shows.

He seems to legitimately be incredulous that a current footballer didn't/doesn't watch the same brutally pish TV sitcoms that he did/does.

Edited by DA Baracus