Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Whatever Cosgroves faults I'll never regret getting my tattoo of him after he absolutely man handled Speirs and his " league of Wales" shite when talking about Scotland without the OF.

Yes, that was good.

He dug out figures there and then that exposed what Spiers was saying as absolute nonsense.

I usually don't mind Spiers either, but he needed put right that day and Cosgrove did it very effectively. That was a few years ago though and I'm not convinced it would happen now.  The programme has lost any challenging edge it once had.

4 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Whatever Cosgroves faults I'll never regret getting my tattoo of him after he absolutely man handled Speirs and his " league of Wales" shite when talking about Scotland without the OF.

You've got a Cosgrove tattoo?

Words fail me.

Macpherson has been saying for years that attendances are falling.
He usually has a cry about Rangers being 'demoted' and Hibs and Hearts getting relegated.
He's an old buffoon with zero relevance to Scottish football today and has absolutely nothing of value to say on the topic. He really has no idea and continually states lies as facts.
Sounds like many posters on P&B. Which one is he?

League of Wales ffs.

Yep, If Rangers and Celtic weren't around, Aberdeen/Hibs/Hearts crowds would drop from 15-18000 to 600 per game, Graham. 

OTB was famous for its OF piss-taking back in the day.  Did anyone notice when they started pandering to them?  Was it around the time Rangers died and re-formed?  Were they told to toe the BBC line of 'It's all about Rangers and Celtic, we need Rangers back in the top flight' and it kind of grew from there?  

I noticed a few weeks ago Cowan was basically licking Rangers' anus.

On 4/26/2019 at 13:45, AndyM said:

He was from the era where football  journalists were roaring alkies, cigar smoke used to belch out of the centre stands at games, there was deference to the Old Firm.  And Scotland used to win international matches..

A very different world.

Sanderson used to pronouce "Scottish football" as "Scoddish foodball". I can also remember him slating callers to Radio Clyde for not being at the game under discussion :lol:

That generation of journos- Ian Archer, Hugh McIlvanney, Sanderson himself, are all gone. Only Keevins and McNee are left. McNee was a ghastly Jim Traynor type in his day who had nothing but contempt for football beyond the Old Firm. I believe Keevins is the only one left "working".

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 11:21, DA Baracus said:

They, or at least Cosgrove, used to be quite knowledgeable about Scottish football in general and seemed to have a real interest in it, which came across really well and helped build the popularity of the show, as fans of smaller teams knew that the show was as much for them as it was for Premier League teams.

That's long gone. Their knowledge of Scottish football is really poor, with Cosgrove regularly making things up and getting things wildly wrong.

They tongue Celtic and Sevco's arses loads now, whereas there was a time when they were proudly against such stuff.

I gave up after one cringeworthy show a few years back when they admitted they had no idea how the play-offs worked in Scotland, and then basically laughed at the SFL for creating something so complicated that no-one understands.

If guys who are paid to talk about Scottish football cant be arsed doing any research or even looking up the most basic of things, then I decided I couldn't be arsed listening to their pish any longer.

9 hours ago, TheScarf said:

OTB was famous for its OF piss-taking back in the day.  Did anyone notice when they started pandering to them?  Was it around the time Rangers died and re-formed?  Were they told to toe the BBC line of 'It's all about Rangers and Celtic, we need Rangers back in the top flight' and it kind of grew from there?  

I noticed a few weeks ago Cowan was basically licking Rangers' anus.

It's hard to identify a cut off point, not least because I stopped listening to whole shows several years ago, partly in response to what you identify.

Cowan was always the more guilty of them when it comes to sucking up.  Around the time of Rangers going under, Cosgrove was actually quite impressive though, praising the "forensic" approach taken by Clyde to the SFA's   and then SPL's utterly dishonest propaganda about Armageddon.

The sense that they were on our side has however, really shrivelled and died since.

Cosgrove has just become a silly old blether. while Cowan has become an OF apologist silly old blether.

7 hours ago, Shotts56 said:

I gave up after one cringeworthy show a few years back when they admitted they had no idea how the play-offs worked in Scotland, and then basically laughed at the SFL for creating something so complicated that no-one understands.

If guys who are paid to talk about Scottish football cant be arsed doing any research or even looking up the most basic of things, then I decided I couldn't be arsed listening to their pish any longer.

Well they claim to be ill informed so I don't have a problem with that myself. If a football  journalist came out with pish like that then I would be annoyed.

I think it has really dropped in quality in recent seasons.

In my opinion, the quality is diluted by being on air for two shows instead of one every Saturday, and the calibre of guests are usually pish. I swear its Hugh MacDonald (who I don't mind), Mixu, John Hughes every two weeks.

But I also think I'm just expecting a higher standard of content after discovering the Terrace and such, and OTB just can't compete.

I think it's time to bring back Your Call but with a good presenter. 

Love it part of the footballing weekend for me since a young boy especially loved it when I texted in the day Albion beat Motherwell in the Cup certainly shut Cowan up and have met Cosgrove a few times seems like a decent guy even if I’m fed up about hearing about the Detroit music scene or Scottish independence from him.

11 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

This Morton fan that's on the now has a bit of an attitude - hoping he gets huckled, tbh. 

Started well by calling Cosgrove out for comments about Morton flirting with relegation, mind. 

Certainly passionate about what he's trying to do.  Comes accross as a bit of a walloper.  

Hope they do well.  Scotland needs a strong Morton.