Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Turned it off after 5 minutes when they came on at half 5. Apparently the Dunfermline fan they had on who does Capital radio is a ‘podcasting legend’ and Chick Young started talking about how much money they were getting for standing in today. 

The fatal flaw in using Young plus anyone as stand ins is that, whilst appreciating the subjectivity, Cosgrove and Cowan are/have been mainly likeable at times of their careers, an essential factor for the host in the format working. However Young is an obnoxious little shit despised by most so the programme's on to a loser from the start.

5 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I thought Chick Young retired a few seasons back.

That shite impression Jonathan Watson does of him on Only An Excuse is the only thing that occasionally keeps the wee nyaff in the public eye. 

14 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I thought Chick Young retired a few seasons back.

He did.

Several people though have trouble telling the difference between being on staff and being a freelancer.

On 06/04/2019 at 12:51, DG.Roma said:

My god, Cat Shearer & Chick Young make for absolutely woeful listening. Tin Pot Radio.

Today would have been an ideal opportunity to get the Terrace boys in to see how they get on. I wonder though if maybe there's a fear that Cosgrove and Cowan would be shown up. Instead, they put on Cat & Chick to make Stuart and Tam seem like the golden boys of radio 

This 100%. 

CGT and Fowler were on it on 16th Feb before the show was coming out. Maybe its just because I'm a huge fan of the Terrace, but any slight piece of praise given during that whole show had them making sly wee digs and saying "what they should be doing". At least twice Tam started bringing up "Offside" like some godfather of broadcasting, with him and Cosgrove flashing back to "the gid auld days".

Don't get me wrong, I like both Tam and Cosgrove and still tune into OTB, but the fear emanating from their voices with every sentence was beyond obvious. They knew both the other guys would be better at their jobs. 

4 hours ago, drs said:

He did.

Several people though have trouble telling the difference between being on staff and being a freelancer.

Retiring  means stopping work. It doesn't mean changing your employment status from in-house to self-employed, presumably for tax reasons through a company.  If I recall correctly, Chick Dung's (non-)retirement was marked by a dismal series on Scotland's qualification campaigns which gave him a chance to try to be a much stupider, higher-pitched and cliche-riddled version of Hugh McIlvanney, and was also a convenient excuse for one last licence-fee funded jolly, to France.  The bold Chick then showed up polluting the airwaves as usual at the start of the following season, and got some ribbing for it from the excellent Richard Gordon and others.  I remember thinking at the time that far from being friendly, it sounded like they were surprised that he was back (and not pleased about it). 

Chick is by far the worst pundit on Sportsound, and that's obviously saying something. He has no redeeming features, insights or broadcasting skills which you wouldn't get from any random person walking down the street (most of whom would be much better than him, even if they didn't follow football).

The whole retirement thing reminded me of George Costanza in Seinfeld when he quit in haste then crawled back to his office as though it hadn't happened....

32 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Retiring  means stopping work. It doesn't mean changing your employment status from in-house to self-employed, presumably for tax reasons through a company.  

His "retirement" will be less about tax and more that he can now only take gigs that he fancies so the BBC can't send him to Aberdeen on a wednesday night

The semantic  squabbling over quite what "Retirement" means is missing the point.

Nobody really wanted Chick Young to "retire".

What we wanted was for him to "piss right off"

Listening to Off the Ball is part of my Saturday routine. I listen faithfully before leaving the house and whilst driving to games (including Home games in my case). Tam and Stuart have their faults (especially Tam constantly talking over everyone and living in the 1950's) but generally it is a good show. For the first time ever I had to switch it off on Saturday due the bumbling, boring, repetitive, inane laughing Chick Young. The guy cannot string one sentence together never mind a paragraph. He shoots off at more tangents than a mathematician and lives in the past. We have all heard the same stories  every time he is on air.  No intelligent insight and cheap innuendo that he was a player in his day. Get this guy out to pasture. Glad I do not pay a license fee to pay for his wages.

9 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Listening to Off the Ball is part of my Saturday routine. I listen faithfully before leaving the house and whilst driving to games (including Home games in my case). Tam and Stuart have their faults (especially Tam constantly talking over everyone and living in the 1950's) but generally it is a good show. For the first time ever I had to switch it off on Saturday due the bumbling, boring, repetitive, inane laughing Chick Young. The guy cannot string one sentence together never mind a paragraph. He shoots off at more tangents than a mathematician and lives in the past. We have all heard the same stories  every time he is on air.  No intelligent insight and cheap innuendo that he was a player in his day. Get this guy out to pasture. Glad I do not pay a license fee to pay for his wages.

Did he tell his "I'm not a Rangers fan, I was once the only reporter on a Celtic trip and Billy McNeill let me go on the bus as long as I sang the Celtic song hahahahahahahah" story?

We have all heard the same stories  every time he is on air.  No intelligent insight and cheap innuendo that he was a player in his day.

Let me guess. He will have referred to:
Dukla Pumpherston;
His “Gentleman’s Club”;
The fact that Ayr United are a big club and have a great old ground;
Gaming and other sports are preventing development of young footballers;
Need to get back to playing in the streets.

I was going to listen to the podcast but glad I read recent posts in this thread before I bothered.

For what it’s worth I still like Stuart and Tam but the quality of the show can vary hugely depending on the guests.

The Off The Ball drinking game - 

• Everytime Cosgrove finishes someone's sentence.
  • Everytime Cowan mentions Offside.
  • Everytime Cowan tells the story about the woman getting scalded at Brechin.
  • Everytime Cosgrove mentions Channel 4.
  • Everytime Cowan pronounces the word 'vegan' wrong.
  • Everytime Cowan says that all you need to do is give the 4th official an iPad.
  • Everytime Cowan mentions some tall ginger Motherwell centre-back who only used to play against the Old Firm.
  • Everytime they have Chick Young on and he refers to Jock Stein as 'Mr Stein'.

Feel free to add you own.

Edited by Highland Capital