Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

906 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Cowan needs to learn to STFU , his constant interrupting of Cosgrove and guests is turning a fast-nosediving show into unlistenable ear-assault.

To be honest the emboldened part would have sufficed in general, his 'humour' stems from the era of The Benny Hill show and Bernard Manning, Frank Carson etc being cutting edge, popular comedy, the type of balloon who thinks Mrs Brown's Boys is hilarious and award worthy, and don't even start me on that fucking scum newspaper he writes for. 

17 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

To be honest the emboldened part would have sufficed in general, his 'humour' stems from the era of The Benny Hill show and Bernard Manning, Frank Carson etc being cutting edge, popular comedy, the type of balloon who thinks Mrs Brown's Boys is hilarious and award worthy, and don't even start me on that fucking scum newspaper he writes for. 

He could, if he tried, learn to STFU, but he has no intention of doing so.  He's getting along quite nicely with his 70's nostalgia act and, presumably, some people like it. 

Been tuning into OTB more often recently and can rarely last more than 10 minutes.  The evening show I've completely abandoned since they started that stupid music feature. 

Takes some talent to make you cringe even when you're listening alone.  

23 hours ago, LeeVanTeeth said:

Did Stuart Cosgrove interrupt Chick Charnley when Chick began talking about his wife's miscarriage? Guy at work said so  but seems unbelievably rude.

He did, aye. I nearly crashed the car with embarrassment when I heard it. Cosgrove is terrible for interrupting people and finishing guest’s sentences for them.

Cowan never offers any real thoughts on fitba. The occassional gloat if Celtic or Sevco are humped is as far as it goes.  He is in the old world of shite refs and incompetent decisions being good for scottish football as it makes it exciting. Why change it blah blah.

That and the old boy network that follows on Sportsound, where no one deserves a red, isn't that kind of player and so on; used to listen to it all.  Never do now.

On 10/02/2019 at 09:39, rainbowrising said:

Cowan never offers any real thoughts on fitba. 

I have the same thought. He is more interested in talking about restaurants, chip shops or hotels so he can plug his column. It's so tedious and boring. Any excuse and he will bring it up and run with it for the whole show. 

Cosgrove actually has more to talk about regarding football, but he always seems so eager to get the next question or point he has thought of out that he doesn't seem to listen and then talks over them. 

Who would you rather was taking a couple of weeks off?  I have to say I prefer when Cowan is off then there is least no crap music and his review column being mentioned constantly.

It astonishes me that Tam Cowan is only 49 years old.  His popular culture tastes and references are those of a man about 35 years older than that.
He has consciously decided that yer da is his target audience. That way the lazy b*****d doesnt have to learn, develop and move with the times.

How many times in the last 20 years has football as a sport shifted in the way its played? Its a constantly evolving sport, but lazy arse can just stick with "I can mind when it wiz a mans gemme" and other generic shite spouted by auld duffers, and he knows hel strike a chord.

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 11:33, Highland Capital said:

Cowan says himself he knows nothing about tactics and formations etc.  I do find that odd considering he's being going to football for years - he must've had noticed something about what he's watching.

Tam Cowan has zero interest in or knowledge of football as a sport....indeed he has zero interest in or knowledge of any sport...He seems to wear as some sort of badge of honour his total indifference to European or international matches that don't have a Scottish connection, preferring to concentrate solely on the turgid tedium that is the Celtic ritual group phase hounding . Yet still he claims to be a 'fitba fan' … Like claiming to be a 60s pop music but having no time for the Beatles because they weren't from Wishaw.

It astonishes me that Tam Cowan is only 49 years old.  His popular culture tastes and references are those of a man about 35 years older than that.
I'm pushing 60. I find him simultaneously crass, dull, sexist and stuck in the kind of 1970s vibe I found - you've guessed it - crass, dull and sexist then.
He's a genuine fan. I get this. The show was lively and refreshing 20 years ago. You know, before other genuine fans got mikes with the rise of the podcast. Many of them are refreshing, erudite and illuminative.
In his best moments, Cosgrove continues to offer insight; Cowan never has. And the format is as fresh and cutting edge as, well,
"Offside". What happened to it, and the hilariously named football mascot "Jock the Cock"?

yeah could be. I am usually at the fitba but the odd time I tune in I have thought it was ok.

Tbf, it’s not rotten. Tam and Stuart can get annoying but whenever I’ve listened it’s been fine, not what it used to be but fine. Definitely room for improvement but it’s lasted the rest of time if nothing else.