Off The Ball - Is it good?

Off The Ball  

895 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes it is tired, boring, cliche-ridden.

But the consensus seems to be that there's no better alternative. Which, given that this show will have five more seasons max, people should be starting to think of the credible alternatives and a new format.

OTB was born in the days of zoo radio and Danny Baker on 5Live. That just sounds really dated now. The utter ignorance of anything outside the central belt is really cringey, too.

I listen on the way to games but often just turn off when Sportsound finishes at 5.30 on the way back.

It’s not as good as it used to be, but I’d miss it if they scrapped it.

I miss ‘Your Call’ with Jim Traynor. It’s time slot was perfect as it attracted raging, drunken callers. Traynor being called a ‘fat, racist c**t’ live on air was a particular highlight.

Still hugely entertaining most weeks and, as others have suggested, probably better than what will eventually replace it. It's what brought my wife to fitba, and I'm okay with that.
Cowan.... Ho hum. Affable enough but his comedy is more Les Dawson than Stewart Lee, while his musical taste is as lazy as it is deliberately provocative.
Cosgrove is one complicated dude, though. In many respects, he is urbane, witty and VERY well informed - despite the claims in the show's blurb - and I value his opinion on BBC Scotland's news / media reviews. His OTB persona frustrates me at times, though, as he is either at it, or he just doesn't have the general knowledge or, for that matter, vocabulary ( he regularly gets close to the right word when he goes for it, but usually misses ) I'd expect from someone of his age and experience.
He does write well, though, and his musical journalism is insightful and, at times, revelatory.

26 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

It’s not as good as it used to be, but I’d miss it if they scrapped it.

I miss ‘Your Call’ with Jim Traynor. It’s time slot was perfect as it attracted raging, drunken callers. Traynor being called a ‘fat, racist c**t’ live on air was a particular highlight.

I don't miss your call. Dawn from Falkirk always calling up to tell all Falkirk fans to get behind Yogi and the boys was an annoyance. 

I would say I like it, but only when they stick to football chat. Sadly, the last few times I've listened they tend to veer off a lot and when they do that it becomes a load of boring, self indulgent shite. The best thing about it is that they don't obsess with the OF.

46 minutes ago, hoobahabba said:

I would say I like it, but only when they stick to football chat. Sadly, the last few times I've listened they tend to veer off a lot and when they do that it becomes a load of boring, self indulgent shite. The best thing about it is that they don't obsess with the OF.

They're getting increasingly more that way inclined, Cowan especially

17 minutes ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:
35 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Cowan wouldn't write a column for a rag, would he, where the general editorial line might be that all things Sevco and Sellik are good copy? Surely not?

Just a personal opinion this but, any credence Tam Cowan may like to think he has as a man of the people, working class background, representative of your average punter, down to earth guy he likes to portray himself as, and there is an element of merit in it although his humour can be a bit corny and dated at times, those positives are somewhat tarnished, negated even by the fact he writes for and takes a wage from the most disgusting, disgraceful publication masquerading as a fucking newspaper to ever exist in the UK.

A lying, gutter rag, anti working-class, anti trade union, misogynistic, hypocritical, racist, xenephobic,  lying filth laden fucking piece of shit that thinks nothing of smearing innocent people including the dead to promote its vile  thinly veiled right wing agenda.

No matter a person's good qualities, they are mostly nullified in my opinion by association with the vile S*n newspaper, how anyone with a semblance of a conscience or decency can write for and take a wage from that fucking rag is beyond me. 

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

Just a personal opinion this but, any credence Tam Cowan may like to think he has as a man of the people, working class background, representative of your average punter, down to earth guy he likes to portray himself as, and there is an element of merit in it although his humour can be a bit corny and dated at times, those positives are somewhat tarnished, negated even by the fact he writes for and takes a wage from the most disgusting, disgraceful publication masquerading as a fucking newspaper to ever exist in the UK.

A lying, gutter rag, anti working-class, anti trade union, misogynistic, hypocritical, racist, xenephobic,  lying filth laden fucking piece of shit that thinks nothing of smearing innocent people including the dead to promote its vile  thinly veiled right wing agenda.

No matter a person's good qualities, they are mostly nullified in my opinion by association with the vile S*n newspaper, how anyone with a semblance of a conscience or decency can write for and take a wage from that fucking rag is beyond me. 

And your mad because Celtic FC has the monopoly on that?

I stick it on most weeks, beats the old firm circle jerk that is Sportsound. Good listen before i head for a few scoops before watching the league leaders, or if im forced to go round a retail park with Mrs Raphael :P   

Edited by Raphael

Used to be a good listen back in the day but as time has moved on its less and less irreverent and more and more sycophantic and banal. 

Hasn't gone off the cliff as much as Only an Excuse did back in the day but has lost any edge and needs more listener interaction and some genuine new blood may be the way forward, imo.

I remember back in the day they asked for workmates nicknames and Frank McAvennie quipped, 'Broken Arrow' about someone he knew as they didn't work and couldn't be fired...

I only really listen now if not going to the football.