St Mirren v Sellick

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say St Mirren were the better team first half, certainly created the most clear cut chances.  Second half, Celtic improved, wouldn't have been hard mind, whereas St Mirren appeared to become more negative the longer the game went on.  Absolutely no idea what the f**k Ntcham was thinking.

Fair play to the Saints.

1 hour ago, ancientnoise said:

In the second half, Saints showed their versatility in switching through 10-0-0 to a 7-3-0 and sometimes a 6-4-0. Let's hope that doesn't continue.

4 straight defeats and a couple of games over by HT kind of breeds that kind of reaction by any team. Watching us against Livi and Hearts we were bloody awful so a point at home to Celtic hopefully gives them a bit of confidence.  

Plus having seen my team throw away a cup final to 9 men, we’ll take our point :P

Shat it is unfair. If Celtic were handicapped to play the whole season with 10 players they would still end up in the top 3 or 4

They wouldn’t with 10 men - if teams set up properly with a man advantage for the majority of the game they should dominate proceedings. Sitting deep is the worst thing you can do - you completely negate the advantage by doing this.

I'd say St Mirren were the better team first half, certainly created the most clear cut chances.  Second half, Celtic improved, wouldn't have been hard mind, whereas St Mirren appeared to become more negative the longer the game went on.  Absolutely no idea what the f**k Ntcham was thinking.
Fair play to the Saints.
Fair assessment. I'd have liked to have seen Saints take more of a gamble 2nd half but we could easily have been punished as Celtic always carry a threat so I can understand why we sat in. Team spirit was fantastic tonight. Its amazing the difference from the last few weeks. Would have bitten your hand off for a point beforehand

8 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Oh dear, saddened to see Brendan has humiliated himself by regurgitating the old Celtic paranoia / victimisation / conspiracy-theorist bollocks about those two yellow cards for N'tcham tonight.

Why not just accept that the referee was right and N'tcham let down the hoops ?

He should have been sent off before that if the referee booked for the jersey pull earlier which was clear

Think the ref was pretty shit aside from that, but there were no real major calls he got wrong and we weren't robbed

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

They wouldn’t with 10 men - if teams set up properly with a man advantage for the majority of the game they should dominate proceedings. Sitting deep is the worst thing you can do - you completely negate the advantage by doing this.

if teams knew they were up against 10 men, then i'd imagine most would win or draw using their best players at retaining the ball.

In the second half, Saints showed their versatility in switching through 10-0-0 to a 7-3-0 and sometimes a 6-4-0. Let's hope that doesn't continue.
Fair point but if you had watched us against livi or Aberdeen you'd understand why

5 hours ago, ancientnoise said:

You weren't one of the sides who benefitted from just how shambolic we were under Stubbs. Ask a Hearts, Livi or Aberdeen fans and you'll understand why we are so happy to see so many behind the ball and actual, proper organisation. 

Also, we've been left woefully imbalanced up front with only Danny Mullen in the squad last night who is an actual centre forward. I'd have liked an alternative for the last 20 to allow us to hit on the break but I can only imagine all other striking options weren't fit enough to merit a place on the bench. I was desperate for a win but when it became obvious after an hour that Edwards, Mullen and Smith were all knackered, it then was a case of dig in for a point. 

Make no mistake, that game would have been dead after half an hour under Stubbs. 

Most managers go down the deflection route when it suits them, OF managers doubly so - but to pick an occasion when it's a simple case of "young player on yellow card makes an arse of it" wasn't a good move.  Even the press, who have been nauseatingly sycophantic to Brendan so far haven't had the nerve to try to paint this any other way than a standard sending off.

Even if Ntcham wasnt stupid I doubt we would have scored. We didnt deserve to win and St.Mirren deserved the draw. With how compact St.Mirren were I dont know why Sinclair didnt come on as his movement off the ball would have helped break their lines a bit. Agree with Sutton regarding some terrible officiating but again had no bearing really on the game. 

10 hours ago, kingjoey said:

We’ve waited a long time, a long long time, to find out how Brendan would react when things don’t go quite his way. We’re now finding out.

You witnesses it at Liverpool. Any genuine pressure on him and he absolutely crumbles. He's been lucky his early Celtic years coincided with Rangers, Hearts, Hibs all be weakened, meaning it was only perennial shitebags Aberdeen and McInnes who could realistically challenge them. 

Strongest top flight in a while and he's starting to crack. 

N

7 hours ago, TheCelt67 said:

Fair play to the Saints.

Think we were concerned about getting caught on the break so we're happy to sit back. 

Quite a lot made of "Dropped points," and "playing for a draw,." in some quarters (JS). Let me just say that Celtic went out second half to play a safety first keep posession game. They kept posession by playing it between the back three and taking next to no risk going forward. Rodgers set out his team to do this after going to ten men and having a horror show in the first half. I think Celtic were as guilty of accepting a point as we  were, maybe more so.  They showed almost no ambition going forward and did nothing with their posession .

Having said that, if Griffiths had been on side, we'd be hearing about a Rodger tactical master class.

When St Mirren did get the ball, they pushed forward and tried to attack. When not on the ball they defended strongly.

Great point. Sutton is just mad that we did not go for it, leave ourselves exposed and lose to a sucker punch

Archived