Next Permanent St Mirren Manager

Who will be St Mirren's next permanent manager?  

181 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The other thing that doesn't come across in the text is the smile in his eyes when he says it - he delivers the line knowing it's a strong/unrealistic ambition, but he's been asked what he 'wants', so he's answered. 

Nothing to see here, unless you're a worried fan of a rival bottom six club.

9 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

The other thing that doesn't come across in the text is the smile in his eyes when he says it - he delivers the line knowing it's a strong/unrealistic ambition, but he's been asked what he 'wants', so he's answered. 

Given the squad Stubbs has assembled, I doubt anyone will have much to worry about until at least next year to be fair. 

9 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I was more worried about him before he gave that interview, tbh. It doesn't bode well at all that he's already dropping soundnotes to get the more gullible fans behind him. 

I've lost count of the amount of managers who get hired, proclaim an unrealistic end goal, fans start lauding his "ambition" and how it "shows fearlessness", then six months later they're languishing about at the bottom of the table. 

You've still got a Championship quality squad, and now a manager who seems to think he'll struggle. 

12 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

As I was saying.

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Given the squad Stubbs has assembled, I doubt anyone will have much to worry about until at least next year to be fair. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I was more worried about him before he gave that interview, tbh. It doesn't bode well at all that he's already dropping soundnotes to get the more gullible fans behind him. 

I've lost count of the amount of managers who get hired, proclaim an unrealistic end goal, fans start lauding his "ambition" and how it "shows fearlessness", then six months later they're languishing about at the bottom of the table. 

You've still got a Championship quality squad, and now a manager who seems to think he'll struggle. 

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

As I was saying.

1   Hearts 4 8 12

2   Celtic 4 3 9
3   Kilmarnock 4 3 7

4   Livingston 4 1 7
5   St Johnstone 4 0 7
6   Hibernian 4 2 5
7   Rangers 4 1 5
8   Aberdeen 4 -1 5
9   Motherwell 4 -2 4
10   Hamilton 4 -4 3

11   St Mirren 4 -6 3

12   Dundee 4 -5

We're a top 6 club m8 ;) 

If there are any football managers who do not want to win their league they should be sacked immediately.

WANTING to win a league, and thinking you are GOING to win a league are two entirely different things.

All he said was that he wants to win the league. Good for him. Champions League here we come :thumsup2

If there are any football managers who do not want to win their league they should be sacked immediately.
WANTING to win a league, and thinking you are GOING to win a league are two entirely different things.
All he said was that he wants to win the league. Good for him. Champions League here we come :thumsup2

I agree with the sentiment absolutely and don’t have a problem with him going in with that ambition.

However, he’s probably been a little naive in that the media will spin it the way they want to and when it doesn’t happen or st mirren are in a relegation fight it’ll be used as a stick to beat him with.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

I agree with the sentiment absolutely and don’t have a problem with him going in with that ambition.

However, he’s probably been a little naive in that the media will spin it the way they want to and when it doesn’t happen or st mirren are in a relegation fight it’ll be used as a stick to beat him with.

Yip, he'll need to learn that negativity in Scottish Football is a rampant disease, which the mainstream media just love to keep spreading.

It won't be St.Mirren but I genuinely believe that a club from outside Glasgow is going to put in a sustained challenge for the title within the next 5 years. 

Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen should absolutely have that burning ambition and if they get the perfect storm of being lucky with injuries, getting their recruitment bang on, and the biggest two clubs not having their best season then why not?

I know Leicester still spent a relative fortune in winning their league but the scenario that unfolded that season was exactly that, a perfect storm. No reason why it can't happen here IMO.

Yip, he'll need to learn that negativity in Scottish Football is a rampant disease, which the mainstream media just love to keep spreading.
It won't be St.Mirren but I genuinely believe that a club from outside Glasgow is going to put in a sustained challenge for the title within the next 5 years. 
Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen should absolutely have that burning ambition and if they get the perfect storm of being lucky with injuries, getting their recruitment bang on, and the biggest two clubs not having their best season then why not?
I know Leicester still spent a relative fortune in winning their league but the scenario that unfolded that season was exactly that, a perfect storm. No reason why it can't happen here IMO.

We should you’re right but similarly it’s incredibly difficult.

The Ronny deila years were as close as I’ve ever seen it to Aberdeen actually doing something and in reality we didn’t even get that close in the end.

It absolutely has to be the perfect storm and we lost Rooney, Danny ward etc at bad times and you wonder what might have been had that not happened.

All ifs, buts and a bit pointless but if our team that finished 2nd in league, league cup and Scottish cup a couple of years ago had been in place when deila was around I do wonder if we would have actually had a real chance to push celtic all the way.

Alas it’s maybe as close as well ever come.

8 minutes ago, Div said:

I would love that to be the case, but the evidence simply doesn't support it. It's possible of course, but the time was ripe when Rangers weren't in the league. As it is they have the financial muscle to push to challenge Celtic; Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, etc do not. Now we are back to the duopoly hoovering up all the money from tv/sponsorship/europe the chances of another team challenging have reduced considerably.

You would have to restructure the league; both in teams and number of games played, in order to create an opportunity for a team outside the OF to challenge. Seeing as it would require at least 11 clubs to agree to that restructuring and that nominally only 10 teams would - and out of those 10 it's unlikely all would - we will remain stuck in the duopoly.

Edit: Another way would be to restructure our league to ensure a better European competition results; such as running a summer season. It wouldn't help teams like Celtic or Rangers who intend on getting pretty deep into the competition, but for clubs like Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen getting past the qualifying stages would immediately bring in far more money than they are getting now, thus allowing them to at least provide a greater challenge by affording better players/wages.

Always a bit sceptical about how any of the media report things particularly if they report something like "X wants to win the league" without any attention to context.

As far as I can see he said it took him several years to win anything with Coleraine and expects the same with St. Mirren. I imagine the likes of Hearts; Hibs and Aberdeen and even the rangers  all harbour the dream of winning the league one day; why should that be so unbelievable for St. Mirren given the right management; financial backing and a hefty slice of luck in say season 2020/21?

By all accounts Leicester City had no chance of winning against so many super-rich clubs but, as we all know, footballs a funny old game.

The big problem with making a statement like this, even totally out of context, is that every tuppenny hack is going to drag it up every time St. Mirren fail to get maximum points from a game. I expect the buddies to get thoroughly sick of this before the season's out.

6 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I would love that to be the case, but the evidence simply doesn't support it. It's possible of course, but the time was ripe when Rangers weren't in the league. As it is they have the financial muscle to push to challenge Celtic; Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, etc do not. Now we are back to the duopoly hoovering up all the money from tv/sponsorship/europe the chances of another team challenging have reduced considerably.

You would have to restructure the league; both in teams and number of games played, in order to create an opportunity for a team outside the OF to challenge. Seeing as it would require at least 11 clubs to agree to that restructuring and that nominally only 10 teams would - and out of those 10 it's unlikely all would - we will remain stuck in the duopoly.

Possibly. As Dons_1988 has alluded too, perhaps the storm was the time when Rangers were out of the way and Deila was in charge of a pretty average Celtic side, but I still think it could happen.

I think both Rangers and Celtic having at least 6 Europa League ties each before the end of this year for example opens up the possibility of points being lost domestically. Those games will take a big toll on them, physically and mentally and it's reasonable that they might stretch their squads as a result.

If a team could get a wee gap ahead of the big two clubs by the end of the year, and get some momentum going, then it's possible we'll have a proper title challenge.

I don't actually think Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen have enough about them to do it this season but I hope one of them does!

The perfect storm really would have to be as perfect as it gets. Celtic would have to hire a completely hopeless manager, lose a bulk of players and not have any quality at all replace them, as well as said challengers being able to bring in actual quality, have a better manager than they do now, and have zero injury worries.

Leicester was more than just a fluky perfect storm. They could do it because their lesser resourses were still able to afford actual quality that could hurt any club. That played a massive part in their success, and without it, a club like them wouldn't stand a chance.

This is why I simply don't see it happening here while that gap of resourses at the top gets wider.

4 minutes ago, Div said:

I think both Rangers and Celtic having at least 6 Europa League ties each before the end of this year for example opens up the possibility of points being lost domestically. Those games will take a big toll on them, physically and mentally and it's reasonable that they might stretch their squads as a result.

Sure, although the flip side is that with that European competition comes money, money allows them to buy a deep squad, thus the toll is considerably lessened than if, say, Aberdeen got through the qualifying rounds.

No, for me, it's all (sadly) money and the Scottish game is perfect for a duopoly. That's it's "natural state" and that won't change until you either change the league to make it easier for non-OF clubs to get deeper in European competition (and thus more money) - so like changing to a summer season - or changing the league so that teams only play each other once; home and away.

Of course the governing bodies could actually negotiate a sponsorship deal that is representative of our league, rather than failing miserably as they have done on a regular basis. Again, money. While more money for non-OF means more money for the OF, it's the a law of decreasing returns, thus giving an already rich club (ie: Celtic) a million pounds extra will not really change them much. Give a club like St Mirren for example a million and (if they don't hire Stubbs) then the opportunity for them to improve is much greater simply due to the low starting point.

Archived