Next Permanent St Mirren Manager

Who will be St Mirren's next permanent manager?  

181 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Colkitto said:

Looks like a decent appointment. Can he make any difference to the squad that Stubbs left him?  

Well, he's been left with Samson, McGinn, Magennis, Baird, Flynn, McShane, Smith, Eckersley and Mullen from the championship winning squad (plus Mackenzie when fit) as well as Coulson who has shown he has ability, Willock who looks like a player who can make a contribution at this level, and Brock-Madsen who has scored goals at a decent level as well. He's also got the experience of Hodson and Edwards to call on, and then we'll see what he can make of the likes of King, Cooke and Kpekawa. I think Heaton will come good as well - being given a chance will help, as soon as he's fit again.

If he can motivate these guys then he could at least make us competitive. If he can organise the defence and make us hard to beat, that would be a great start. I'm not expecting miracles, just a team with some fighting spirit and organisation to begin with.

3 hours ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

Pleased with the appointment, although I can’t help but think another 3 year deal is risky.

And Kenny Shiels is a great guy IMO.

Compensation is set in the contract, so we know what it would cost us to get rid. We need to give him time, regardless. He has a track record of developing players and working with youth, and it's important we allow him time to do what will be a very difficult job.

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

You've got to wonder why he didn't get the job in the summer over the utter shambles that is Alan Stubbs if he interviewed so well? Not a dig just a curiosity.

I always like appointments that are totally new to our game. This is most certainly a gamble (never worked in full time football before either playing or in coaching and probably won't know our leagues that well) but I think it's one worth taking for St Mirren. He'll have a line of communication with all the best talent in Northern Ireland which could throw up some gems too.

I'd certainly say there's a better chance you'll stay up now than there was this time last week.

I think perceived knowledge of Scottish football won out in the end - laughable as that seems considering the level of football he raided for players.

6 hours ago, Sittìng on the fence said:

Should have been appointed last time in hindsight , an up and coming manager who has done good things in the Irish League . Reading into him he likes being involved with the development of the youth as well and must be a good thing for the club.

Erm, so did Alan Stubbs apparently...…………..:angel

But Stubbs had certain qualities that gave him the edge in Fitzpatrick’s view.

“There was a really high calibre of applicant, and it just shows you how far St Mirren have come in the last few years,” he said.

“There were a few things that set Alan apart. The club has got a great philosophy from the boardroom to the stands in that there is a style of football that we like to see, and Alan plays an attractive style. His Hibs team was really exciting to watch, and that was a big plus.

“An even bigger plus was that he prioritises youth development and giving young players a chance, which fits in so well with our ethos. That was important.

Sure l read he was primarily a gym teacher?
Aye he's been a part time manager over that length of time [emoji23]. Still more managerial experience than Cathro had.

I see him more as a Jack Ross type, the fans of the club he has left are devastated, pretty much mirrored ourselves only a couple of months ago when JR left. Seems to be a motivator, good man manager, players will want to run through brick walls for him and actually want to sign for us, not be put off by a pair of clowns.

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I think perceived knowledge of Scottish football won out in the end - laughable as that seems considering the level of football he raided for players.

Do you really think Stubbs had a knowledge of English non-league football? Do you think he'd even heard of these players before he signed them?

3 hours ago, Insaintee said:

Do you really think Stubbs had a knowledge of English non-league football? Do you think he'd even heard of these players before he signed them?

He absolutely heard of both Heaton and Cooke as he's worked with them at the V9 academy only a few months prior.

He's also definitely heard of Jeff King as after we signed him, Stubbs said that he was one he'd pinpointed right from the get go to come to us.

The others? No idea.

Archived