Next Permanent St Mirren Manager

Who will be St Mirren's next permanent manager?  

181 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Colkitto said:

Can he make any difference to the squad that Stubbs left him?  

That's the killer question, really. As others have pointed out, him simply not being Alan Stubbs will give the players an instant lift. At this stage, with the window clsoed, it's more about man management and motivation than transfers and contacts, so hopefully any perceived weakness he may have in that area won't be exposed.

Beyond that, he's definitely got a job on. Our next run of fixtures is tough (can't wait til weekend 12 onwards when we start to play all the easy teams :P ) so there'll need to be some patience.

I'd still like to think we might find a team prepared to send us a left winger. I wonder if Brendan would be prepared to help his fellow countryman to settle in the area. I'd hate to see Lewis Morgan kicking his heels in the reserves this season.

14 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I'll be honest, I'm quite excited for Kearney coming in.

The player testimonials at his current club are rather glowing in terms of his man management and adaptability but for me, the most important attribute for a modern football manager is intelligence, which he appears to have plenty of.

I'm excited to see what he will bring to the table in terms of both tactics and how he goes about dealing with  and motivating players who are on a low at present. 

Spot on.

At this precise point in time, what you describe is undoubtedly the most critical attribute to get right in the new man.

Not his recruitment, or even his tactical awareness. We need someone who can connect with the players, lift them out of the Stubbs-induced malaise, and inject some spirit and confidence into the squad.

The rest will come in time, but the critical foundations must be in place. In all honesty, I think we have enough ability in our squad to keep us in touch with the other teams near the foot until January. Then, OK will have the opportunity to stamp a bit more of his identity on things.

We need to be patient, however. OK has a tough job ahead of him, but it is a great job for the right man. Let's hope OK is that man. I have a good feeling about this that I never had with Stubbs from day one.

You've got to wonder why he didn't get the job in the summer over the utter shambles that is Alan Stubbs if he interviewed so well? Not a dig just a curiosity.

I always like appointments that are totally new to our game. This is most certainly a gamble (never worked in full time football before either playing or in coaching and probably won't know our leagues that well) but I think it's one worth taking for St Mirren. He'll have a line of communication with all the best talent in Northern Ireland which could throw up some gems too.

I'd certainly say there's a better chance you'll stay up now than there was this time last week.

You've got to wonder why he didn't get the job in the summer over the utter shambles that is Alan Stubbs if he interviewed so well? Not a dig just a curiosity.
I always like appointments that are totally new to our game. This is most certainly a gamble (never worked in full time football before either playing or in coaching and probably won't know our leagues that well) but I think it's one worth taking for St Mirren. He'll have a line of communication with all the best talent in Northern Ireland which could throw up some gems too.
I'd certainly say there's a better chance you'll stay up now than there was this time last week.
I think the board shat it and thought Stubbs was the safer option. I also reckon the board were sweet talked with regards to his contacts at Everton ect. Should have went with their gut instinct. Hopefully the damage isn't already done, i think we have some decent players to get us through to January.

Genuinely happy with this appointment.

48 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

That's the killer question, really. As others have pointed out, him simply not being Alan Stubbs will give the players an instant lift. At this stage, with the window clsoed, it's more about man management and motivation than transfers and contacts, so hopefully any perceived weakness he may have in that area won't be exposed.

Beyond that, he's definitely got a job on. Our next run of fixtures is tough (can't wait til weekend 12 onwards when we start to play all the easy teams :P ) so there'll need to be some patience.

I'd still like to think we might find a team prepared to send us a left winger. I wonder if Brendan would be prepared to help his fellow countryman to settle in the area. I'd hate to see Lewis Morgan kicking his heels in the reserves this season.

Bit frustrating with no real room for manoeuvre on the playing squad so early into the season. I've not seen St Mirren this season so not sure how good, bad or indifferent they are.

If you're still in the pack by January  you would imagine the manager will know the areas  to strengthen and what players are required to save your season.

It's an interesting appointment and he certainly deserves his chance at full time football.  I'm quite excited by it having read what he has done at Coleraine.  I'd imagine having been a teacher working with and developing young players will be something he is good at so hopefully he can help continue our conveyor belt of talent. 

In some ways this is a tougher job than Jack Ross had when he took over.  Ross inherited a squad with some utterly dreadful players in it but also had Morgan, Mallan who were two of the best players in the division, also MacKenzie and Sutton who were good players at that level, the likes of Irvine and Baird who were 'do you a job' type players, and some exciting youngsters like Magennis and McAllister who were ready to start playing in the Championship.

Now in the Premiership I don't think we could say that any of our players are among the best in the division. We have a few players who can do well in this league and some young guys who will hopefully continue to improve like they have been, then we have the players Stubbs signed who so far (Willock aside) have looked miles away from the standard in this division.

I don't say this to be negative or doom and gloom but more because I think the guy will need time. He's personally got to adjust to moving and turning full time whilst also getting the team playing well.

Archived