Andy Robertson: Scotland Captain

accies1874

16 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

They were having this debate on sky sports last night, best left back in the premier , which I assume means the world they said it was Benjamin Mendy also mentioning Marcus Alonso .

Merson said they were better than Andy “Robinson”

Mendy is better than Robertson, but I'm not convinced Alonso is. That said, I'd guess that Mendy's development is further ahead than Robertson's due to the difference in coaching between Ligue 1 and Jackie McNamara/Steve Bruce/Mike Phelan. 

• 2 months later...

I was just watching a Twitch stream and an advert came up for Fifa Ultimate team and it was a guy going nuts because he got Andy Robertson in a player pack. 

Proof, if needed, that he has made it. 

The belief that we somehow need this permanent captain is anachronistic pish anyway.  It serves very little purpose, and I'm not sure any nations outside of the British Isles (or even just outside of us and England) put as much stock in it.  Just give it to the person in the starting eleven that seems to fit it best and get on with building a team that isn't looking to one specific player to lift them.

On 22.11.2018 at 12:28, forameus said:

The belief that we somehow need this permanent captain is anachronistic pish anyway.  It serves very little purpose, and I'm not sure any nations outside of the British Isles (or even just outside of us and England) put as much stock in it.  Just give it to the person in the starting eleven that seems to fit it best and get on with building a team that isn't looking to one specific player to lift them.

Germany put a fair bit of faith in it, primarily to maintain a constant focus point regardless of whether other players come and go.

Link is only available in German,  but the 3 columns to the left of "wichtige Spiele" show the number of games the last few captains have had in that role.

On 11/22/2018 at 14:28, forameus said:

England have been rotating the captaincy throughout qualifiers.  They only named one for the main tournament because they had to.  It's not as if it's a cricket captain, who manages the tactics, or rugby, where the captain is the direct person of contact with the officials.  It's really important in the eyes of the fans.

I haven't seen a replay of it but I think Robertson told the Scotland players not to kick the ball out when an Israeli player hit the ground theatrically and remained there. Scotland were in the ascendancy and I believe it was Robertson who made the tackle and won the ball - thus knowing the true extent of the "injury". 

If I have recalled correctly and didn't imagined this, then that's a good decision by the captain.

(as an aside I don't believe the ball should be kicked out by the opposition (or returned) for any injury in football). Up to the ref and even then applied so inconsistently. 

Just now, KingRocketman II said:

I haven't seen a replay of it but I think Robertson told the Scotland players not to kick the ball out when an Israeli player hit the ground theatrically and remained there. Scotland were in the ascendancy and I believe it was Robertson who made the tackle and won the ball - thus knowing the true extent of the "injury". 

If I have recalled correctly and didn't imagined this, then that's a good decision by the captain.

(as an aside I don't believe the ball should be kicked out by the opposition (or returned) for any injury in football). Up to the ref and even then applied so inconsistently. 

Pretty certain that was mentioned in Sportsound. Definitely the sign of a captain.

Not sure there are any other standout options at the moment. So few caps and little experience, Andy - despite his age - has far more experience than many others who’ve been around a lot longer.

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

That's exactly what happened, and it showed the influence that a captain can have on the team. It set the tone for everyone else, when the game was running the risk of getting a bit flat. It was similar to Scott Brown contesting a drop ball against Macedonia a few years back - it got the crowd and the players going and also rattled the opposition.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...