Dumbarton -vs- Montrose. Double Header

That is a disaster for Mango. Last year he went a full season without any injuries and you hoped he could put all the troubles behind him in that respect but now this...

I don't expect the defence will be any different tomorrow to last week. Hopefully we see Aitchison come in (he looks a lot more likely to score than most of our team - even in his limited time with us). Not sure what else I would change. I'd say maybe Callum and him up front together would be good but doubt we will see that. Loy will no doubt start beside him.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I said I don't care who plays, but I'm bored, so here's the team I'd play tomorrow:

McGowan

Ballantyne -- Dowie -- Allardice -- Dyer

Forbes -- Carswell -- Thomson -- B. Barr

Aitchison -- Gallagher

I reckon Adam and Loy will both start in place of McGowan and Gallagher, but hopefully the rest will be the same.

On 12/09/2018 at 20:46, Scottylintonstowel said:

Our heroes were thrashed 4-0 by an extremely poor side in what was probably the worst exhibition of football in the history of Dumbarton football club. I know for a fact that Old Scrotum has been in therapy ever since.

Oh, there has been worse - much worse.

Mind is a bit iffy on the detail, but Falkirk came to Boghead on January 2nd 1974 and took five off us. I think it was their first win of the season.

3-0 up against Dundee after first-leg of LC 1/4 only to lose 4-0 at Dens.

Horsings and long trips back from Aberdeen.

Then there was the legendary game at Gayfield when Dumbarton were so bad Beenzie decided he'd had enough and set off to walk home. (Pubs weren't open all-day then.) The bus caught up with him half-way to Carnoustie.

(Edited to add: for the youngsters among you Beenzie was a Dumbarton-supporting legend who made me look like a 2 half-pints of shandy man. His real claim to fame (and he has many such claims) is that he got sent-off while being a ball-boy at Boghead for hitting referee 'Tiny' Wharton in the face with a pie.)

Absolutely gutting about Mango. Shame Perry is out too; the reviews of Allardice haven’t sounded great, need to hope he improves quickly.

Honestly don’t expect us to take anything tomorrow, which is a sad state of affairs. Saying it’s a ‘must-win’ seems a bit redundant at this point, but hopefully I’m proven wrong.

6 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Any idea how long Mango is out for? Not good news at all for yourselves, considering how strong a defender he is. If it's a long term one he's had then that's 3 in 4 seasons which is a shame as he's a class act.

3-4 months according to the preview, but that'll just be to recover from the injury. I reckon it'll be February at the earliest.

Him being out has played a role in Dowie looking out of sorts imo. Dowie needs a guy beside him who'll smash into everything and everyone, allowing him to sit a bit deeper, read the game and sweep.

Maybe Allardice will be that guy. I thought he looked very nervous against Stenny - but then again so did Daniel Harvie on his debut, and he turned out to be alright...

3 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

Allardice reviews, where?

I thought he was ok at stenny; you can tell he’s coming from academy football but I’m confident we’ll knock the football out of him and playing the percentages soon.

My Dad said he looked poor against Stenny and IIRC @1320Lichtie said he didn’t rate Allardice at all when we signed him (presumably based on seeing him for EF last season).

Again, hopefully he improves.

Allardyce's positional sense was shaky and he didnt really look like he knew when he should close down and when he should back off. His distribution of the ball was terrible too.

Only judging him on the Stenny game though. On the plus side if he made the right decision then his tackling was ok and his heading was good. I'm putting it down to inexperience and the pressure of moving to a new team. It'll take a few games for him to settle.

I can't comment on Allardice as I never saw him at Stenny but I'd expect Dowie to help him settle down a bit and talk him through the game.

Unfortunately I'm not sure Dowie has shown that he is that type of guy in his time with us. He seems more intent on berating folk when they make a mistake despite him looking fairly honking himself at times. I was fairly surprised to hear he was coaching youngsters at Edu Sport in his spare time.

Quite an interesting wee selection dilemma for Stevie in central-midfield. I'm keen to see Thomson given a chance in there, but I also think Brad Spencer's looked very handy in his trio of appearances. Not sure what I'd do if I was in his shoes to be honest.

McGowan

Ballantyne Dowie Allardice Dyer

Forbes Thomson/Spencer Carswell B.Barr

Loy Aitchison 

Would suit me. Obviously there's not a hope in hell of Jamie McGowan starting though, which is bad news for any Sons fans with weak hearts.

I don't want to put a downer on anyone's Friday but didn't Stevie say that Hutton was benched last week because he had an injury. If that's cleared up then it'll almost certainly be him and Carswell in midfield tomorrow.

He needs a Hip operation apparently but we’re holding off because of current injuries

On 9/12/2018 at 21:46, Scottylintonstowel said:

I know you think that the present lot are playing poorly but if I could just take you back to 8th of April 1989 when our heroes were playing in the second  division which was then the lowest league. They played at home that day to Berwick Rangers who were to finish second bottom of the league. The team that day was Strachan McQuade Wharton Dickie Cairney Spence Elliot Robertson Quinn Duncan McQuade. Our heroes were thrashed 4-0 by an extremely poor side in what was probably the worst exhibition of football in the history of Dumbarton football club. I know for a fact that Old Scrotum has been in therapy ever since.

So if you think things are bad now we have still a long way to go before we plumb  the levels of that day. 

Oddly enough i remember that game well.Scorching sunny day too but that was THE worst performance i have ever seen from us. Berwick under J im Jeffries at the time had a guy called Brian Thorpe who ran thru us at will.Dont think we managed a shot on goal all game.Next saturday we then beat Brechin who were 2nd top.Go figure...

5 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

3-4 months according to the preview, but that'll just be to recover from the injury. I reckon it'll be February at the earliest.

Him being out has played a role in Dowie looking out of sorts imo. Dowie needs a guy beside him who'll smash into everything and everyone, allowing him to sit a bit deeper, read the game and sweep.

Maybe Allardice will be that guy. I thought he looked very nervous against Stenny - but then again so did Daniel Harvie on his debut, and he turned out to be alright...

If RP returns soon i would be ok wwith him in central defence as he did well there preseason.It is worrying though that we seem to have an injury hit squad so early doors.

13 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'd be expecting Allerdice to come straight in at centre half for Thomson.

Allardice had a nightmare in the first half vs Stenny and in the 2nd he was marginally better but the whole team got tragically worse. But I guess it wouldn't be bad to have Thomson as an option further up the park...

Archived