Dumbarton -vs- Montrose. Double Header

47 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

I totally agree. Dowie has been a shadow of his last-season self. Whether not having Mango beside him regularly is affecting him or not, who knows. But he's certainly been poor in the first part of this season.

That said, not many haven't been so he's far from alone in that respect.

I am consoling myself with the thought that at this stage last season, I was convinced that Dougie Hill and Mango were our best centre back partnership and that Dowie was a serious downgrade on Darren Barr. I was completely wrong and he deservedly won POTY. I'm banking on him just being a slow starter!

I never, ever leave a Sons game early. Into my 52nd season and the only game I remember leaving early was away to Airdrie in 1996, and even then it was not my choice to do so. However, the thought crossed my mind at half-time today. I've been on the fence about the manager until now (having some sympathy for him about the crazy injury situation, which I thought was bad enough last season, let alone what's going on this season), but despite staying and watching the win, today was the day that finally tipped the balance.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The players work nightshift Monday to Thursday and are allowed to start late on a Tuesday and Thursday to allow them to attend training. They also finish at a reasonable time - 3/4am I am informed, bar Dowie who works in the office until 7am as well as juggling his coaching duties with Edusport.

I wouldn't expect them to be burned out working those sort of shifts and if they are then the partnership with C&G is proving to be counter productive in terms of giving players jobs (not in terms of their general sponsorship).

It is a slight worry that someone from C&G is saying that mind you. You can only assume from that the players have been saying it is affecting them around the workplace.

I wouldn’t hang my hat on that. Injuries, positional issues and poor form aren’t caused by players being tired - I wouldn’t add ‘players working during the week’ to the list of reasons for bad results. We did well today, we should be looking at the positives (Dowie and Forbes scoring.......obviously they can’t be that tired). If they weren’t working on the railway, they would be working somewhere else 4 or 5 days a week.

I wouldn’t hang my hat on that. Injuries, positional issues and poor form aren’t caused by players being tired - I wouldn’t add ‘players working during the week’ to the list of reasons for bad results. We did well today, we should be looking at the positives (Dowie and Forbes scoring.......obviously they can’t be that tired). If they weren’t working on the railway, they would be working somewhere else 4 or 5 days a week.
I didn't say the players were tired. I was saying I'd be fairly surprised if they were, based on what I've heard about their deal with C&G.

They aren't just 'players working during the week' though, they are working nightshifts, which is a totally different ball game than working 9-5. I don't imagine it's an easy thing to adjust to. Not that it should remotely be used as excuse for our dreadful recent form, and if it is causing issues we should probably rethink offering players jobs with our sponsor.

Not many mentioned (If any) how bad the officials were at times today... clueless and point blank terrible. Some of the decisions just didn't make any sense whatsoever.

Also thought Bolochoweckyj got away with the one on Aitcheson. There is no reason why that isn't a foul, his arm should never have swung up and caught him in the way it happened. Plus, he is a big diddy and a thug so more reason to back up that he knew what he was doing.

I actually thought the referee did alright given he's pretty new to the top grade. He wasn't perfect, and the standside linesman got near enough every offside call wrong in the first-half, but I thought the ref was fine. He looked to get most of the big calls right - Dillon's barge is absolutely crazy given he's probably the most experienced player in the Division.

22 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

Martin Allen i  think his name was.Charlie Gibson also got his ankle shattered by Brad Kerr.Not a good night....think it was a replay as well.

T'was. Midweek. 1st round, if I remember correctly.

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, Old Scrotum said:

I I'm correct, over the two games Montrose scored twice (I'm fairly sure on that point)  but otherwise Adam didn't  have a serious save to make.

One hanging cross yesterday and, of course, he had a flappy punch at it.

Like Barney the Dinosaur on speed 

5155F823-B2BE-407B-AAB4-0E529B6A043B.gif

He did very well to recover. It was some shocking defending from Dowie in the build up.

Absolutely, I think his confidence is growing each week. I’d like to see the comb-over keeper get a shot between the sticks for at least half a game. I fear though the prevailing south westerly wind will reek havoc with that barnet.

What actually happened in the sending off incident?

He stuck the nut in Thomson. Not exactly a nose breaker or anything likely to cause harm but for an experienced player to do that is absolute madness.

FWIW I thought the ref was fine yesterday and I didn't think the linesman was that bad either. The amount of abuse the officials take at our place, even when making the clearly correct call, never fails to amuse me. Unless a free kick/throw in/offside decision goes our way our fans are up in arms about it.

24 minutes ago, albundy said:
4 hours ago, cameron2000 said:
Stevie a few seconds into the interview “You know we’ve had a lot of injuries, but we’ve never made an excuse on it”emoji23.png

Bit of a brass neck there.

"It's ok, Durranty. I mentioned injuries but I think I got away with it."

I couldn’t make the game yesterday so I’m clearly the jinx. Interesting comment from the Montrose manager that “Dumbarton worked hard for their victory. Those players gave their all for Steve Aitken”. This might have been a way of explaining his team’s defeat with a bit of managers’ trade unionism thrown in but interesting comment nonetheless. We’re two points off third and one point off the bottom. It’s a hard fought league. Worrying attendance stats with Clyde and Stirling A both exceeding our crowd by some way yesterday.

Archived