Dumbarton -vs- Montrose. Double Header

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Worrying attendance stats with Clyde and Stirling A both exceeding our crowd by some way yesterday.

Can’t say I’m massively surprised by that. Elgin have also been getting bigger crowds than us on a regular basis. Unless we start consistently winning games, I don’t see it changing.

I couldn’t make the game yesterday so I’m clearly the jinx. Interesting comment from the Montrose manager that “Dumbarton worked hard for their victory. Those players gave their all for Steve Aitken”. This might have been a way of explaining his team’s defeat with a bit of managers’ trade unionism thrown in but interesting comment nonetheless. We’re two points off third and one point off the bottom. It’s a hard fought league. Worrying attendance stats with Clyde and Stirling A both exceeding our crowd by some way yesterday.
The home end was noticeably more sparse yesterday, I know several people who decided to give it a break and it's down to the brand and mentality of the football on display and Lionel W's story makes even more worrying reading. The best remedy is to put together a run of wins. Over to you, DFC management team.

55 minutes ago, albundy said:
1 hour ago, Howlin said:
I couldn’t make the game yesterday so I’m clearly the jinx. Interesting comment from the Montrose manager that “Dumbarton worked hard for their victory. Those players gave their all for Steve Aitken”. This might have been a way of explaining his team’s defeat with a bit of managers’ trade unionism thrown in but interesting comment nonetheless. We’re two points off third and one point off the bottom. It’s a hard fought league. Worrying attendance stats with Clyde and Stirling A both exceeding our crowd by some way yesterday.

The home end was noticeably more sparse yesterday, I know several people who decided to give it a break and it's down to the brand and mentality of the football on display and Lionel W's story makes even more worrying reading. The best remedy is to put together a run of wins. Over to you, DFC management team.

Surely being a supporter means you do exactly that? Support your team, through good and bad?

Staying away because of ‘brand of football’ in Scottish league one reality is truly mind boggling. 

Surely being a supporter means you do exactly that? Support your team, through good and bad?
Staying away because of ‘brand of football’ in Scottish league one reality is truly mind boggling. 
In an ideal world everyone will attend regardless of performances/results but the reality is that most teams at every level with see lower attendances during poor spells. We've been fairly rank rotten for a while now, playing some fairly turgid stuff at times and the attendances have most definitely suffered. Personally I attend regardless of form or results but not everyone is the same. We also have to face the reality of a huge decrease in away crowds and less 'glamour' ties which normally attracted a few fair weather fans through.

I'd be surprised if the main core of regular supporters is down a great deal on previous seasons.

2 hours ago, Homer Sandoval said:

That arguement is valid of course.But football is also part of entertainment.If it ceases to be so for a considerable length of time  it is healthy to take av step back for a while IMO.

The definition of a supporter is: "A person who is actively interested in and wishes success for a particular sports team."

Being pedantic, there's nothing in there about good and bad nor having to attend every game.

14 minutes ago, Homer Sandoval said:

Does it? Evidence?

How many games have you attended this season, out of interest?

Well yes, it does. Just look at how many fans we’ve had in the home end in recent seasons. Numbers have clearly dwindled. We’ve been neither winning or entertaining under Aitken. While you may not think winning or entertainment is important (and if you go every week regardless, I doff my hat to you) it’s clearly a factor for the floating voters.

I haven’t attended any games yet this season.

Well yes, it does. Just look at how many fans we’ve had in the home end in recent seasons. Numbers have clearly dwindled. We’ve been neither winning or entertaining under Aitken. While you may not think winning or entertainment is important (and if you go every week regardless, I doff my hat to you) it’s clearly a factor for the floating voters.
I haven’t attended any games yet this season.

You haven't attended any games yet you are the main cheerleader for getting rid of the manager? Strikes at your credibility somewhat does it not?

15 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

You haven't attended any games yet you are the main cheerleader for getting rid of the manager? Strikes at your credibility somewhat does it not?

I thought we were discussing whether dwindling crowds were related to the quality of football on the park? Which it clearly is, whether you like it or not.

However, I’ll play along and see if I can restore some of my credibility. Buckle in boys.

Yes, I am an advocate of sacking Aitken, despite not attending any games this season (it’s a 720 mile round trip for me, so you might have to let me off the hook for that). 

Firstly, Aitken hasn’t just been in charge for six league matches this season. As I recall, he was in charge of quite a few games last season that I did manage to attend. Those games were absolutely woeful. 

His tactics and decision making got us relegated. The decision to scapegoat Froxylias (who I know some have differing opinions on) for the Cup final defeat was at best baffling and at worst disgraceful. His approach to the play-offs was absolutely mad and frankly cowardly. Shitebag tactics, picking shitebags like Danny Handling left him very little goodwill coming into this season, but I was willing to give him a chance. It is very clear nothing has changed and he is not the man for the job.

Also, thanks for the wonderful folks who run Sons TV, the club Twitter, and the opinions of those I know attending every single game (which I hold in the highest of regard) I’m able to form a fair and balanced opinion. That’s not to mention even just observing results, like any individual can do. I’m sure there are plenty of times we’ve seen other clubs in dire need of a managerial change, based on results; does that mean we can have no opinion because we don’t attend their games?

Oh, and I am a season ticket holder, trust member and sponsor of a player, and have been watching Dumbarton regularly for the last 23 years. Hopefully that restores some of my credibility :)

The number of games someone attends doesn't make them more or less of a supporter. It also doesn't affect their ability to form an opinion about the team/manager/tactics etc. Lots of people have many different reasons for not being able to attend games. I for one work 75% of Saturday's. I was off on Saturday there but made the decision not to attend as I didn't want to watch the dross that has been served up so far this season. That's my choice. Does it make me less of a fan or less able to form an opinion about the manager?

7 hours ago, Stevie Aitken said:

I thought we were discussing whether dwindling crowds were related to the quality of football on the park? Which it clearly is, whether you like it or not.

However, I’ll play along and see if I can restore some of my credibility. Buckle in boys.

Yes, I am an advocate of sacking Aitken, despite not attending any games this season (it’s a 720 mile round trip for me, so you might have to let me off the hook for that). 

Firstly, Aitken hasn’t just been in charge for six league matches this season. As I recall, he was in charge of quite a few games last season that I did manage to attend. Those games were absolutely woeful. 

His tactics and decision making got us relegated. The decision to scapegoat Froxylias (who I know some have differing opinions on) for the Cup final defeat was at best baffling and at worst disgraceful. His approach to the play-offs was absolutely mad and frankly cowardly. Shitebag tactics, picking shitebags like Danny Handling left him very little goodwill coming into this season, but I was willing to give him a chance. It is very clear nothing has changed and he is not the man for the job.

Also, thanks for the wonderful folks who run Sons TV, the club Twitter, and the opinions of those I know attending every single game (which I hold in the highest of regard) I’m able to form a fair and balanced opinion. That’s not to mention even just observing results, like any individual can do. I’m sure there are plenty of times we’ve seen other clubs in dire need of a managerial change, based on results; does that mean we can have no opinion because we don’t attend their games?

Oh, and I am a season ticket holder, trust member and sponsor of a player, and have been watching Dumbarton regularly for the last 23 years. Hopefully that restores some of my credibility :)

1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:

The number of games someone attends doesn't make them more or less of a supporter. It also doesn't affect their ability to form an opinion about the team/manager/tactics etc. Lots of people have many different reasons for not being able to attend games. I for one work 75% of Saturday's. I was off on Saturday there but made the decision not to attend as I didn't want to watch the dross that has been served up so far this season. That's my choice. Does it make me less of a fan or less able to form an opinion about the manager?

^^^Not real fans^^^

;)

I am consoling myself with the thought that at this stage last season, I was convinced that Dougie Hill and Mango were our best centre back partnership and that Dowie was a serious downgrade on Darren Barr. I was completely wrong and he deservedly won POTY. I'm banking on him just being a slow starter!
I never, ever leave a Sons game early. Into my 52nd season and the only game I remember leaving early was away to Airdrie in 1996, and even then it was not my choice to do so. However, the thought crossed my mind at half-time today. I've been on the fence about the manager until now (having some sympathy for him about the crazy injury situation, which I thought was bad enough last season, let alone what's going on this season), but despite staying and watching the win, today was the day that finally tipped the balance.

Lionel, you will, I suspect, be one of the more respected posters on here with your (ahem!) seniority and fitba' knowledge. I do share some of your misgivings about Aitken but I must ask about your post here. You mean to say that you never considered leaving the 5-0 home defeat by Montrose in the early part of the century? What about the home defeat to Bonnyrigg? Or Huntly?
And yet you consider leaving a match which was, by the evidence of the second half to come, winnable?
There is an apparently still growing antipathy amongst the support towards the manager which casts a pall of negative energy at games. It is palpable. Unlike the latter days of Paul Martin, a guy who most definitely HAD lost the dressing room, from what I gather, Aitken does enjoy the support of the players despite much stuff on here to the contrary.
Is he perfect? Far from it and there are easy points of reference to show where he has made mistakes. This though is true of any manager we’ve had. I may be in a minority in saying we should “hang fire” but that is my view.
He hasn’t lost the dressing room but it seems he’s lost the stand. If he does turn it round it’ll have been a tough job. It’s our choice whether to put the obstacle of the fans' voice in his way or not.

16 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

There is an apparently still growing antipathy amongst the support towards the manager which casts a pall of negative energy at games. It is palpable. Unlike the latter days of Paul Martin, a guy who most definitely HAD lost the dressing room, from what I gather, Aitken does enjoy the support of the players despite much stuff on here to the contrary.
Is he perfect? Far from it and there are easy points of reference to show where he has made mistakes. This though is true of any manager we’ve had. I may be in a minority in saying we should “hang fire” but that is my view.
He hasn’t lost the dressing room but it seems he’s lost the stand. If he does turn it round it’ll have been a tough job. It’s our choice whether to put the obstacle of the fans' voice in his way or not.

From the source I heard from, he doesn't even have the backing of 100% of the backroom staff, far less the players.

3 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

From the source I heard from, he doesn't even have the backing of 100% of the backroom staff, far less the players.

Given that he loves a wave and Durrant doesn't I'm not at all surprised to hear that.

You simply cannot have a healthy relationship with such different views on such an important matter.

Archived