Dumbarton -vs- Montrose. Double Header

Montrose were 1-0 up without having to get out of 2nd gear and never at any point looked threatened. That for me is strolling it, without playing well as I highlighted in my initial post.

It's most definitely a welcome 3 points but IMO we were very poor. In particular Dyer, Dowie, Barr, Spencer and Hutton were rotten. The latter two were sending every 2nd pass to the feet of a Montrose player and I can't help but feel the result is simply papering over the cracks.

I'd love to be proven wrong, the next 4 games will make or break our season IMO.

I assume you are joking. Thought Dowie played well and the others mentioned played reasonably well. I thought we were the better team over the 90 minutes and hopefully this win will give everyone, players, managers and fans a much needed boost. I am sure there will be more scary games this season, but this is what you get when you support Dumbarton.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

To be fair that the most he has moved about since his return by absolute miles. We started well and all looked well up for it. Fell away and faded after we lost the goal. 2nd was much better and Montrose lost it in the end - deserved the win though.

Forbes the last 2 weeks has been very good.

Bearing in mind Forbes has only started seven games since early December, I think a return of three assists, two goals and a big part in Spencer's goal against Brechin and the SeaGal's against Queen's Park is a very credible return. I couldn't care less how much he runs about, if we get him on the ball he has the quality to kill teams in the Championship, never mind League One.

He'll continue to improve the more he plays, and Ballantyne looks like the perfect full-back to work with him.

I assume you are joking. Thought Dowie played well and the others mentioned played reasonably well. I thought we were the better team over the 90 minutes and hopefully this win will give everyone, players, managers and fans a much needed boost. I am sure there will be more scary games this season, but this is what you get when you support Dumbarton.
I'm not joking, no. Dowie looks miles off it, and Dyer was beyond woeful for the 90, and has nothing in his locker other than a lump up the park. Spencer spent most of his 90 minutes playing slack passes and/or charging into tackles (mostly caused by his passing), Hutton was much the same minus the charging into tackles. Bobby Barr should spend less time whining and moaning and more time using his obvious ability to influence games. If you thought all of the above played well then we clearly set different standards of what we deem to be good.

Loy, Forbes and Thomson are the only players to emerge with pass marks today IMO.

I thought we were better than in recent games. Playing with only one of Carswell/Hutton helped.

Montrose played a high pressing game and took their goal really well. It was almost an identical chance to the one we'd just passed up...a swinging cross from the full back. The difference was Chris Johnston was brave and creative with his low diving header whereas Rory Loy don't have the instinct (or confidence) to throw himself at it.

Given our two first half substitutions due to injury, it looked like the same old hard luck story. However we dug in and were impressive as Montrose imploded.

Given the way we threw the game away when 2-0 up away to Brechin it's understandable we played it into the corner to run the clock down.

A strange but good feeling tonight!
Some effort from Chris Johnston to head that in from Edinburgh

Chatting to a couple of lads at the game one of whom works at C&G Systems with our guys. He said that they worked on the nightshift 4 nights a week and he suggested that could be a factor in why some of the players look tired/sluggish at times.
The players work nightshift Monday to Thursday and are allowed to start late on a Tuesday and Thursday to allow them to attend training. They also finish at a reasonable time - 3/4am I am informed, bar Dowie who works in the office until 7am as well as juggling his coaching duties with Edusport.

I wouldn't expect them to be burned out working those sort of shifts and if they are then the partnership with C&G is proving to be counter productive in terms of giving players jobs (not in terms of their general sponsorship).

It is a slight worry that someone from C&G is saying that mind you. You can only assume from that the players have been saying it is affecting them around the workplace.

10 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Pleased for the points but reading the comments on here plus the twitter feed it doesnt appear we played well at all.IT IS papering over the cracks IMO and yes the next 4 games will be crucial.

I thought we looked a lot better after the goal went in. Sure it wasn't wonderful, but there was effort and desire which has been lacking quite a bit this season.

It sounds horribly John Hughes, but seeing guys looking like they want the win as much as the fans means a lot. The performance wasn't perfect, not by a long stretch, but there were a few good showings, and we looked more like a team.

Forbes was obviously the standout, and thoroughly deserved his Man of the Match award. The Ginger Action Man Ryan Thomson was good again, and seems like exactly the sort of guy we need in League One. He's played all over the shop thus far, thunders into challenges, puts himself about and works himself into the ground. He's deceptively skilful too. I thought Rory Loy was good as well - he badly needs a goal, but he was clever in winning the penalty, worked hard and linked play nicely. 

Ballantyne makes us a far, far better team and Allardice looked considerably more solid than he did against Stenhousemuir.

There's still a lot of work to be done, and losing Carsy and Aitchison to injury is something we really didn't need, but we needed to start somewhere - and today will have given the squad a massive boost. 

As an aside, Ross Forbes was the first player to score a league penalty for us since Christian Nade at Easter Road on March 15 2017, and our last three in all competitions (excluding shootouts) were all saved or missed (Tom Walsh, Kevin Nisbet, Calum Gallagher).

1 hour ago, sonsanorak said:

Cheerio then!

I pay my money pal, and if I'm not enjoying something I am within my rights to call it a day. A bit like watching a bad film @ the cinema. If it's shit I'll leave, you're  happy watching turgid crap football the best part of the past 2 years, wire in my friend.  :)

I'm not joking, no. Dowie looks miles off it, and Dyer was beyond woeful for the 90, and has nothing in his locker other than a lump up the park. Spencer spent most of his 90 minutes playing slack passes and/or charging into tackles (mostly caused by his passing), Hutton was much the same minus the charging into tackles. Bobby Barr should spend less time whining and moaning and more time using his obvious ability to influence games. If you thought all of the above played well then we clearly set different standards of what we deem to be good.

Loy, Forbes and Thomson are the only players to emerge with pass marks today IMO.

I totally agree. Dowie has been a shadow of his last-season self. Whether not having Mango beside him regularly is affecting him or not, who knows. But he's certainly been poor in the first part of this season.

That said, not many haven't been so he's far from alone in that respect.

Pleased for the points but reading the comments on here plus the twitter feed it doesnt appear we played well at all.IT IS papering over the cracks IMO and yes the next 4 games will be crucial.

Yeah we didn't play well but for me, winning and not playing well is a good sign. The important thing is to start picking up points, the performances may come.

I do agree that today might well be papering over the cracks, but any improvement (in getting a result) is welcome. The next four games are huge. And we don't have the luxury of saying that they're difficult and affording ourselves any leniency, because of the shambolic start we've had to the season.

1 hour ago, lorenzo71 said:

I thought we deserved our win. With the exception of the last 20 mins of the 1st half I thought we were better than Montrose. But we didn't even have to be that good to be better than them...

49 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

I thought we deserved our win. With the exception of the last 20 mins of the 1st half I thought we were better than Montrose. But we didn't even have to be that good to be better than them...

The proof will be in the airdrie-stranraer-raith-arbroath pudding.I sincerely hope it is a turning point but i suspect it isnt from what ive seen so far.

I thought overall we were better than Montrose and deserved the break of getting a couple of goals. Not world beaters but better and that’s a start.

i thought Montrose committed petty fouls when needed and got away with it till bolochecky eventually got caught

i thought he done Aitchison and got away with it??

hopefully today a start

Archived