Dumbarton -vs- Montrose. Double Header

That was a bit mental at the end. Montrose heads exploding AOTS.

As soon as we equalised we looked a different team. We started attacking the game a bit more, played at a better tempo and probably deserved the victory.

Now we need to build on it. Prove that it isn't a fluke and start putting together a strong run of form. There was a bit more of a desire today that I haven't seen all season - so that was a massive positive.

Ross Forbes is a brilliant player.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Bolo is a clown, I said to my mate after 5 minutes he looked like an absolute mouth piece and would be lucky to last the 90.

A very, very welcome 3 points. Was it deserved? I'm not so sure. Montrose looked to be strolling it, without ever looking all that great, before we equalised from a corner, once that goal went in we looked like we started giving a f**k and Montrose seemed to lose the plot a bit.

I thought overall we were terrible up until the last 20 mins or so, and about 10 of that was spent mostly time wasting. I can't help but feel that result is papering over the cracks of what was a very poor team performance but we'll see what happens over the next few weeks. My worry is that we just don't look like scoring unless it's from a penalty or corner.

That Bolo is a clown, I said to my mate after 5 minutes he looked like an absolute mouth piece and would be lucky to last the 90.

A very, very welcome 3 points. Was it deserved? I'm not so sure. Montrose looked to be strolling it, without ever looking all that great, before we equalised from a corner, once that goal went in we looked like we started giving a f**k and Montrose seemed to lose the plot a bit.

I thought overall we were terrible up until the last 20 mins or so, and about 10 of that was spent mostly time wasting. I can't help but feel that result is papering over the cracks of what was a very poor team performance but we'll see what happens over the next few weeks. My worry is that we just don't look like scoring unless it's from a penalty or corner.

Agreed, Montrose's indiscipline played a huge part and we looked like we are having a kick about in a local park for large parts of the game. I suspect bolo might have just given Aitken a stay of execution.

27 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’m not saying we were amazing but I never thought at any point that Montrose were strolling it.

We played some alright stuff in the first half and think we were slightly the better side but obviously Montrose got the goal so that’s all that mattered. 

Second half we kept going. After the first goal it did feel like there was a hugh sigh of relief. Then thought we battled well to the end . Although hate the time wasting at the end. We should have kept playing, that’s just me. I know others will say it’s running down the clock but it’s not for me.

I’m not saying we were amazing but I never thought at any point that Montrose were strolling it.
We played some alright stuff in the first half and think we were slightly the better side but obviously Montrose got the goal so that’s all that mattered. 
Second half we kept going. After the first goal it did feel like there was a hugh sigh of relief. Then thought we battled well to the end . Although hate the time wasting at the end. We should have kept playing, that’s just me. I know others will say it’s running down the clock but it’s not for me.
Montrose were 1-0 up without having to get out of 2nd gear and never at any point looked threatened. That for me is strolling it, without playing well as I highlighted in my initial post.

It's most definitely a welcome 3 points but IMO we were very poor. In particular Dyer, Dowie, Barr, Spencer and Hutton were rotten. The latter two were sending every 2nd pass to the feet of a Montrose player and I can't help but feel the result is simply papering over the cracks.

I'd love to be proven wrong, the next 4 games will make or break our season IMO.

9 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

Although hate the time wasting at the end. We should have kept playing, that’s just me. I know others will say it’s running down the clock but it’s not for me.

It's a difficult one. I remember Hamilton at home in the 2012/13 season. At 3-1 up we tried to time waste, which went horribly wrong and we conceded twice very late to draw 3-3. On the other hand, had we run it into the corner against Alloa in the play-off final, we'd very likely still be in the Championship.

1 hour ago, Ross Forbes said:

Remember when people hammered Forbes because he doesn't run about. 

To be fair that the most he has moved about since his return by absolute miles. We started well and all looked well up for it. Fell away and faded after we lost the goal. 2nd was much better and Montrose lost it in the end - deserved the win though.

Forbes the last 2 weeks has been very good.

A very welcome win. No matter how it came.

Same issues remain largely, we never ask enough of our opponents and the same is true of today, but a win is a win so credit is where it's due.

To come from behind and win shows character which has been lacking in recent weeks.

I really, really hope that's us turning a corner but I do fear it's papering over the cracks. It's three points though so this Saturday night is good!

I thought we were better than in recent games. Playing with only one of Carswell/Hutton helped.

Montrose played a high pressing game and took their goal really well. It was almost an identical chance to the one we'd just passed up...a swinging cross from the full back. The difference was Chris Johnston was brave and creative with his low diving header whereas Rory Loy don't have the instinct (or confidence) to throw himself at it.

Given our two first half substitutions due to injury, it looked like the same old hard luck story. However we dug in and were impressive as Montrose imploded.

Given the way we threw the game away when 2-0 up away to Brechin it's understandable we played it into the corner to run the clock down.

A strange but good feeling tonight!

Archived