Dumbarton -vs- Montrose. Double Header

If, as some think, the players have downed tools then there is only one very predictable outcome.

Absolutely. And it's an outcome I'm supportive of now to be honest. Whether they have 'downed tools' is always going to be open to debate, but it certainly appears that there's not a lot of 'playing for the manager' going on. And if and when that's the case, rightly or wrongly, the manager will carry the can.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

That was an interesting read. Always nice to see someone else's point of view, particularly an unbiased one.

Unfortunately you used the term 'catastrophic defending' there and nobody can have any argument with that description. It's however alarming that last season we were solid as the rock we play beneath, but this season at a lower level, we're all at sea. We have to ask why is that?

And you mention "if Dumbarton had shown the same urgency throughout that they showed in the last ten minutes that the result could have been different".

Again, no argument from me on that score. But sadly we've shown little urgency in any competitive game situation at all this season, which is very alarming to see.

I think the main thing we had last season was a much more settled back 4. In our best run last season we had a settled back 4 of Wardrop, Dowie, Barr and McLaughlin. Even a settled 2 at centre back would really help. At the moment I can't see us settling until we see either one of Barr or Perry (preferably the former) return to the team.

I'll go against the grain here and say I am looking forward to it. It's rare for teams to be turned over by the same opposition two weeks in a row at this level and hopefully with Aitchison being available and everyone being 1 week fitter we can get the much needed 3 points. Need someone to start putting the ball in the net though, our lack of goals is fairly shocking when you look at the players we have.

I know you think that the present lot are playing poorly but if I could just take you back to 8th of April 1989 when our heroes were playing in the second  division which was then the lowest league. They played at home that day to Berwick Rangers who were to finish second bottom of the league. The team that day was Strachan McQuade Wharton Dickie Cairney Spence Elliot Robertson Quinn Duncan McQuade. Our heroes were thrashed 4-0 by an extremely poor side in what was probably the worst exhibition of football in the history of Dumbarton football club. I know for a fact that Old Scrotum has been in therapy ever since.

So if you think things are bad now we have still a long way to go before we plumb  the levels of that day. 

14 minutes ago, Scottylintonstowel said:

I know you think that the present lot are playing poorly but if I could just take you back to 8th of April 1989 when our heroes were playing in the second  division which was then the lowest league. They played at home that day to Berwick Rangers who were to finish second bottom of the league. The team that day was Strachan McQuade Wharton Dickie Cairney Spence Elliot Robertson Quinn Duncan McQuade. Our heroes were thrashed 4-0 by an extremely poor side in what was probably the worst exhibition of football in the history of Dumbarton football club. I know for a fact that Old Scrotum has been in therapy ever since.

So if you think things are bad now we have still a long way to go before we plumb  the levels of that day. 

Potentially that could be us next season...and aye I'm old enough to remember it well.

1 hour ago, Scottylintonstowel said:

To be fair, you don’t even have to go that far back. Just over a decade ago we were kicking about the bottom of the Third Division getting well beaten on a regular basis, by some awful sides, with some real diddies playing for us. 

We’ve had some real halcyon days ever since, which I’ll always be grateful for.

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Info for any Montrose fans coming through, again you will have access to the home end bar on Saturday and we'll have live music on in the shape of local band Red Hearted Vibrations. Music will kick off from around 2pm.

Some might choose not to come but there will be plenty of Mo fans there again this Saturday. See you all again in that great big bar of yours.

At least we only have to come there 3 times (or 4 if we get you in the big Cup) - you lot have to come to Angus at least 8 times - aren't you the lucky ones!

I'm confident about winning tomorrow for the first time in ages. I thought we were a bit unlucky to lose last week and that could motivate the players to reverse that result.

*I reserve the right to change my mind when the match preview reveals we have 8 players out injured!

I'm confident about winning tomorrow for the first time in ages. I thought we were a bit unlucky to lose last week and that could motivate the players to reverse that result.

*I reserve the right to change my mind when the match preview reveals we have 8 players out injured!

Bit early to be drinking is it not ?

Craig Barr out for 3-4 months minimum. Paton still out for 3 weeks at least. Andy Little and Ross Perry both injured for tomorrow. Aitchison and Allardice back.

That's a fucking howler for Barr and we better hope Allardice gets up to speed quickly. Was hoping Paton would be closer to returning than that.

Don't care who plays tomorrow, just fucking win please Dumbarton.

Archived