R*ng*rs vs. Dees, Saturday 15th Sept

The ‘local club’ thing is a tired jibe by people who think they hold some sort of moral high ground for supporting the club closest to where they live/come from, irrespective of size or success. It makes for a more ‘authentic fan experience’ don’t cha think? Most people just get on with it. It’s only the tedious bores that complain about fans opting for a club 50 miles away.
I’ve a pal in Belfast who travels over to watch Leeds United home and away EVERY week. The connection might come from when they had a decent side in the 60’s/70’s but does it mark him out as a glory hunter over 40 years later, rather than following his local club Crusaders? Mental.

^^^^ doesn’t support his local club

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Nah, absolute pish.

A bigger percentage of diddy fans go to support their teams than is the case for the OF clubs.

It's a source of national shame that so many identify as OF supporters.

I don’t care about people who ‘identify with OF’ . I am talking about supporters. 

It is entirely up to QoS to attract their supporters to go to the games. 

QoS could fill their ground if their supporters supported them. 

Not Rangers fault your clubs supporters choose not to attend games 

I don’t care about people who ‘identify with OF’ . I am talking about supporters. 
It is entirely up to QoS to attract their supporters to go to the games. 
QoS could fill their ground if their supporters supported them. 
Not Rangers fault your clubs supporters choose not to attend games 

[emoji1]

3 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

The ‘local club’ thing is a tired jibe by people who think they hold some sort of moral high ground for supporting the club closest to where they live/come from, irrespective of size or success. It makes for a more ‘authentic fan experience’ don’t cha think? Most people just get on with it. It’s only the tedious bores that complain about fans opting for a club 50 miles away.
I’ve a pal in Belfast who travels over to watch Leeds United home and away EVERY week. The connection might come from when they had a decent side in the 60’s/70’s but does it mark him out as a glory hunter over 40 years later, rather than following his local club Crusaders? Mental.

"Decent side" Leeds won the League twice, were runners up on 5 occasions, won two major cups and reached the CL final in that period so yes, I think the phrase 'glory hunter' is appropriate here but I'm not surprised a Sevco fan has a loose understanding of what the term means.

"Decent side" Leeds won the League twice, were runners up on 5 occasions, won two major cups and reached the CL final in that period so yes, I think the phrase 'glory hunter' is appropriate here but I'm not surprised a Sevco fan has a loose understanding of what the term means.

So the hordes of fans who travel over from Ireland/Norn Iron every week to watch Liverpool & Manchester United are all glory hunters too eh.?

You would think the interest of a glory hunting Leeds fan might have waned after their fall from grace in the early 80’s and then further indignation to the 3rd tier only a few years ago?

He goes over every week? Every single game he goes to ?

And plans their summer holidays around when/wherever Leeds are on their pre-season tour. Still Married too surprisingly!
I’m sure there must be an occasional game missed, LC tie perhaps or midweek league fixture through work, but aye he’s on the plane over every weekend.

10 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

So the hordes of fans who travel over from Ireland/Norn Iron every week to watch Liverpool & Manchester United are all glory hunters too eh.?

Yes.

Wow you handed that one to me on a platter

You would think the interest of a glory hunting Leeds fan might have waned after their fall from grace in the early 80’s and then further indignation to the 3rd tier only a few years ago?

Yes, a thousand times yes.

It’s basically the definition of the term.

And plans their summer holidays around when/wherever Leeds are on their pre-season tour. Still Married too surprisingly!
I’m sure there must be an occasional game missed, LC tie perhaps or midweek league fixture through work, but aye he’s on the plane over every weekend.
if thats true ill stop complaining about the cost of a pie and bovril!

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I won't necessarily judge people for who they support, after all, football is just a sport and we're all prone to supporting certain teams/people in sport who we have no connection too. 

It's the rattlers who, for instance, have lived in Perth their entire life, yet spend more of their time mocking Saints fans for "supporting a shite club"/"having no fans" than they do actually supporting the clubs they claim to "love", that I'd happily slate. 

Surprised that the Green n Grey's haven't been all over this.

Yes, a thousand times yes.

It’s basically the definition of the term.

I honestly don’t think it is, these are football fans who want to see their live sporting entertainment at a level where they can enjoy watching the best players and the best managers pitted against each other in the biggest stadiums with the biggest crowds and the best atmosphere. The spend a fortune and travel miles in pursuit of this.

It seems perfectly natural to me, and the same with any other sporting occasion . Local sport’s great but it comes a distant second to following the big live events that draw the real interest.

If you want to follow Patrick or Peterhead fine, but it’s a weak and petty argument to label everyone else a glory hunter, just because you personally don’t follow a ‘big team’.

It’s a strange logic that your entertainment must be home grown, imagine only following comedians or bands that came from Aberdeen? Wow

A glory hunter to me would perhaps be someone who followed a particular team enjoying a purple patch winning promotion, titles, cups etc then ditched them when the club hit a lean spell, only to start supporting a different team in the ascendancy.

The club/community issue is a different argument I think, and fair play to those clubs and supporters who truly manage to achieve this sort of partnership.

3 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

I honestly don’t think it is, these are football fans who want to see their live sporting entertainment at a level where they can enjoy watching the best players and the best managers pitted against each other in the biggest stadiums with the biggest crowds and the best atmosphere. The spend a fortune and travel miles in pursuit of this...

It’s a strange logic that your entertainment must be home grown, imagine only following comedians or bands that came from Aberdeen? Wow

Wow indeed.

You don't actually get bands that perform on a national stage, yet have half their gigs in Aberdeen.  In fact, you don't get bands called Aberdeen either.

Football clubs are designed to represent a community in ways that other vehicles in the entertainment industry simply are not.  

If I want to watch the best players and best managers, then fortunately I possess a telly.  If I want the football in which I invest time, money and emotion to have meaning for me, I'll follow the team local to where I'm from.

1 hour ago, RedRob72 said:

I honestly don’t think it is, these are football fans who want to see their live sporting entertainment at a level where they can enjoy watching the best players and the best managers pitted against each other in the biggest stadiums with the biggest crowds and the best atmosphere. The spend a fortune and travel miles in pursuit of this.

It seems perfectly natural to me, and the same with any other sporting occasion . Local sport’s great but it comes a distant second to following the big live events that draw the real interest.

If you want to follow Patrick or Peterhead fine, but it’s a weak and petty argument to label everyone else a glory hunter, just because you personally don’t follow a ‘big team’.

A glory hunter to me would perhaps be someone who followed a particular team enjoying a purple patch winning promotion, titles, cups etc then ditched them when the club hit a lean spell, only to start supporting a different team in the ascendancy.

The club/community issue is a different argument I think, and fair play to those clubs and supporters who truly manage to achieve this sort of partnership.

So if Rangers were a shitty 1st division team when you were growing up and Partick Thistle were winning all the titles and cups, you would still be a Rangers fan aye? 

54 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

No because his father had him singing about the Boyne before going to school. 

It's a fair assumption that Rab is aged at least 45 so if his auld man liked 'Boyne songs' he could easily have supported Hearts, Dundee, Airdrie, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Clyde or Cowdenbeath - all of whom featured in Scotland's top flight in the 70s and many of whose fans liked a wee nod to King William and The Boyne now and then.

Your statement really doesn't narrow things down much.

Archived