St Johnstone v Aberdeen, Saturday 15th September

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Feel free to check the statistics I posted previously.

I watched the game m8, please delve further into how having a couple of trundlers the keeper can stop with one hand "on target" shows your dominance, though. 

7 minutes ago, Jambo: First Blood said:

Have Aberdeen released a statement crying about the referees yet?

Their time is over the future is maroon.

The number of hearts fans crawling out of the P&B woodwork is quite impressive. The absolute disdain they had for Budge and Levein less than 6 months ago was quite something, to the point where only a handful were left on the forum.  This was also reflected in their attendances last season (the actual attendances, not the makey up figure they put out).

36 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

That right there is the epitome of rose tinted spectacles. Twice, within the space of 5 minutes, McKenna was sandwiched between two defenders. The one in front was backing in so hard he was almost horizontal, the one behind had him in a sleeper hold both times. I suppose it's a back-handed compliment to 'Scotland's future' that teams have to do that to nullify him.

Utterly abominable refereeing yet again. Absolutely in no way was that related to the firm and righteous statement the club made earlier this week...

That said, we can't complain about the result, we were utterly dominant for most of the match, had plenty of chances, and failed to put them away. But for a bit of brilliance we'd be lamenting a severly unjust defeat. We have the basis of an exceptional team, but we desperately need a creative spark. All the pennies in the piggy bank need to come out for Christie in January.

I took my tenant to the game, a young lad from Slovakia with no prior knowledge of Scottish football (apart from the Devlin red card I showed him), and paraphrasing; 'the referee was awful for both teams, but more awful for Aberdeen'. This is supposedly Scotland's best referee...

That right there is the epitomy of irony 

We're a shadow of our former selves...yet the statistics would suggest we're not so far away..

https://www.flashscores.co.uk/match/48NGHL2c/#match-statistics;0

For all of those goal attempts though there was very little that fell into the serious chances category, barring maybe Cosgrove’s header that was well saved by Clark. Up the other end Lewis made a brilliant save from Alston who was more or less clean through and possibly the closest thing beyond that in the whole game was a bizarre diving header clearance that went inches wide in the first half.

Aberdeen, for all the possession in the first half, didn’t really carve out anything of note. Was no surprise that Forrester and Gleeson we’re hooked relatively early because they made next to no impression on the game. May isn’t close to the same player who left us in 2014 but I don’t think he was particularly well deployed. Needs to form a partnership with someone but not sure that someone is Cosgrove.

The second half was a different story and Aberdeen did pile on the pressure. As far as the goal goes I pretty much fancied McGinn to score that as soon as he placed it. Alston should have wiped out GMS 15 yards further up the park when he had the chance and maybe things would have been different.

At the time I thought Lewis’s challenge on Callachan was a stick on penalty and thought Collum had awarded it given the way he was pointing but I’m a long way from the incident and if there was no contact then fair enough. Also felt the Saints player won the ball with GMS at the end - and that one was right in front of me. Funny to see him lose the plot though.

Collum was, as always, infuriatingly inconsistent. For example, booked Swanson for a cynical trip in Aberdeen’s half - but five minutes earlier failed to book (I think) McKenna for an identically cynical trip in the same area. Giving a foul against Alston on the edge of Aberdeen’s box at the end was an incredible call given he must have been playing advantage for the two or three clear fouls in the seconds before Alston collided with the defenders - but there was pretty blatantly no advantage there! He also exhibited his lack of understanding of the game when he gave us a free kick on the edge of our own box and claimed there was no advantage in playing on - pointing out the four Aberdeen players that were back as Swanson went to drive at them with support turning to counter attack as the ball was turned over. The net result was Aberdeen were allowed to get everyone behind the ball for us taking a free kick on the edge of our box. It wasn’t much of an incident in the scheme of things - but it was a wee insight into his lack of insight into the game.

As far as Saints went Alston showed a lot more discipline in that central role than I thought he was capable of. Craig going off made it difficult for us - not sure if that was tactical given he was booked or an injury - and Kennedy had a pretty quiet game. Wright had a good first half but faded as we were pressed back. Watt is just such a good outball for us, even when he’s not posing a goal threat he gets us up the park and takes the pressure off. Kerr continues to impress and grow in confidence - though maybe needs to watch himself in terms of overplaying the ball sometimes.

Good point and puts us in a great position going into this tough run. Worst case scenario is we’re on eight points from eight games after the Rangers/Hearts/Celtic games having played all of last year’s top six. Pretty decent.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I watched the game m8, please delve further into how having a couple of trundlers the keeper can stop with one hand "on target" shows your dominance, though. 

As did I m89,  and your quip about sideways passing would stand true in the face of purely being 'dominant' in posession. However, given we created more than four times the goal scoring opportunities than you, I think your comment lacks merit. As I'm sure you're well aware, I've already stated that we're not far away but require a creative spark.

Not sure whether the exceptionally high bar we've set for ourselves is affecting peoples opinion, but we've lost Hayes, Rooney, Jack (albeit he was fairly limited) and McLean in recent years. Yet we're still coming up against 'the new and improved St Johnstone' at McDiarmid Park, and powering over them (in every way bar the scoreline).

1 minute ago, Illgresi said:

As did I m89,  and your quip about sideways passing would stand true in the face of purely being 'dominant' in posession. However, given we created more than four times the goal scoring opportunities than you, I think your acomment lacks merit. As I'm sure you're well aware, I've already stated that we're not far away but require a creative spark.

Not sure whether the exceptionally high bar we've set for ourselves is affecting peoples opinion, but we've lost Hayes, Rooney, Jack (albeit he was fairly limited) and McLean in recent years. Yet we're still coming up against 'the new and improved St Johnstone' at McDiarmid Park, and powering over them (in every way bar the scoreline).

I genuinely hope this is trolling. Either that or you're the boy who was walking about with the Aberdeen backpack, wig and glasses on pre match. 

Frustrating afternoon.

I thought first half both teams were pretty shite with saints edging it. We just failed to defend a set piece and found ourselves behind.

Second half I thought we were actually very good in spells and could/should have won the game. Well worthy of a point and possibly more.

Collum once again outdid himself in having both sets of fans hating him. Some of his decision making is truly baffling. Considines booking, he gave the foul, wasn’t going to act any further, watt rolled around a bit and he then decided to pull out the yellow, an utter coward of a referee.

Saints looked like st Johnstone normally do, solid, decent team, hard to beat but don’t see the significant improvement their early season results suggest. Should challenge for top 6 but I suspect may fall short.

Slow start to the season but early days and I think there are plenty reasons to be positive about the dons.

COYR

8 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

The number of hearts fans crawling out of the P&B woodwork is quite impressive. The absolute disdain they had for Budge and Levein less than 6 months ago was quite something, to the point where only a handful were left on the forum.  This was also reflected in their attendances last season (the actual attendances, not the makey up figure they put out).

Don't worry.  They get a new team every season. Levein had to get lucky at some point ,but these huddies will soon be found out - or whenever Naismith  pulls a hamstring.  

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I genuinely hope this is trolling. Either that or you're the boy who was walking about with the Aberdeen backpack, wig and glasses on pre match. 

Feel free to bookmark this; Aberdeen will finish closer to Celtic than St Johnstone will to Aberdeen.

Just now, Illgresi said:

Feel free to bookmark this; Aberdeen will finish closer to Celtic than St Johnstone will to Aberdeen.

I think it says a lot about Aberdeen fans that they'd celebrate that, tbh. 

2 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

As did I m89,  and your quip about sideways passing would stand true in the face of purely being 'dominant' in posession. However, given we created more than four times the goal scoring opportunities than you, I think your comment lacks merit. As I'm sure you're well aware, I've already stated that we're not far away but require a creative spark.

We've lost our top scorer in each of the past 5 seasons, and Chris Millar our best central midfielder, and various defenders/ GK that were the backbone of our team.  Its just part of football unless you're one of the very top clubs unfortunately, so don't think this is unique to Aberdeen.

In terms of new and improved, we're a long way from the finished article.. centre midfield in particular is a questionable area of our team. We just look a far bigger threat in attack than last season.

As for powering over us in every way, you should get in touch with Del, as he reckoned St Johnstone were worth the half time lead, and a draw overall about right.  I would say that was a fairly accurate assessment of the game.

May, unfortunately, isn't going to work out. Cosgrove played quite well when he came on, but doesn't offer a goal threat. Four goals in five games is a big concern, especially as only one has come from a striker from open play. If Wilson doesn't get fully fit and play well, our options up-front look pretty grim. 

40 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Frustrating afternoon.

I thought first half both teams were pretty shite with saints edging it. We just failed to defend a set piece and found ourselves behind.

Second half I thought we were actually very good in spells and could/should have won the game. Well worthy of a point and possibly more.

Collum once again outdid himself in having both sets of fans hating him. Some of his decision making is truly baffling. Considines booking, he gave the foul, wasn’t going to act any further, watt rolled around a bit and he then decided to pull out the yellow, an utter coward of a referee.

Saints looked like st Johnstone normally do, solid, decent team, hard to beat but don’t see the significant improvement their early season results suggest. Should challenge for top 6 but I suspect may fall short.

Slow start to the season but early days and I think there are plenty reasons to be positive about the dons.

COYR

Check out this fanny..:lol: Mr rent are cliche 

4 minutes ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

I think you mean serialism

I'm assuming you meant surrealism. It's an easy mistake to make, although given the number of fingers your average Aucteretarder has, you'd probably be quite accomplished at the twelve-tone technique.

Archived