St Johnstone v Aberdeen, Saturday 15th September

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poor first half from Dons and probably deserved to be behind. Created little and when we did create something our lone striker did not look like scoring. Think we might have accept that we have bought a dud in May. Other big disappointment was Forrester. Looks like he is totally out of his depth. Much better in second half with McGinn getting into the game and Saints struggling to cope with Cosgroves physical presence. Cosgrove definitely unsettled Saints defence more than May but looked just as unlikely to score. He should have scored from header. 

Ref was piss poor as he always is. Every game I see him in both sets of fans usually end up screaming at him. 

They way the Saints fans on here were going on pregame I was expecting them to be a lot better than they were and while they are better than last season they are still at best mid table pish. Much like we will be this season unless we sort things sharpish. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

The most important statistic (the actual result) pales in comparison with Aberdeen's recent drubbings of St. Johnstone. Possession is all well and good, but the manner in which you maintained that possession was far less impressive than I'd have expected. There was a real lack of intensity at times.

Then you're simply ignoring what has been posted here over the last 2 months (which I doubt, since I get the impression that most Saints fans are for some reason obsessed with Aberdeen.

We have no goalscorers. And very few attacking midfielders. 

And yet, this super, new, improved St Johnstone struggled to create any chances and didn't come close to deserving 3 points. I think that's what hurts you the most.....you can't get better, and we can't get worse, and yet you're still struggling against us.

Enjoy. 

I don’t think Saints can realistically expect to finish much higher than midtable given the size of the clubs above us last year. The fact we’ve added players who’ll make us more exciting to watch and give us more  of an attacking threat is just fine by me. 

Last season Aberdeen beat us by 3 goals in each of the meetings between the sides. A 1-1 draw is definitely progress. 

Wasn't a bad wee game that might have been better had Collum not been involved, though at least he got all the 'penalty' claims right.
I really can't remember Aberdeen having the 17 shots or whatever the stats claim. A few trundlers that a baby could have saved maybe.
Nice header for our goal and looked a great free kick for theirs.
Aberdeen fans are really, really funny. Screaming for penalties because people have the audacity to stand beside their precious wee cherubs in the box.

What Aberdeen will be like when injuries clear up I don’t know. On today’s showing, as their own fans have said, fifth or sixth might be their level.
Saints are definitely improved and with half a team of new players to settle I’d expect sixth or seventh to be a reasonable target.
Not far behind Aberdeen, if that’s the case.

Guest Bob Mahelp
5 minutes ago, andrewh said:

What Aberdeen will be like when injuries clear up I don’t know. On today’s showing, as their own fans have said, fifth or sixth might be their level.
Saints are definitely improved and with half a team of new players to settle I’d expect sixth or seventh to be a reasonable target.
Not far behind Aberdeen, if that’s the case.

If that's the way you gauge your 'progress', no wonder you have such low ambitions. 

I thought st j looked the most like a football team i've seen from them today. They had decent midfielders causing us probems (and liam craig) and TWatt was a handfull. Tanser even looked ok. 

I thought we looked like we were starting to gel. Subs actually nade sense and improved things. 

Lowe looks good going forward but a liability at the back. Neither Gleeson nor Forrester look like starters but are decent for the squad. 

Thought May's pen claim was stonewall. Gms's no chance; good tackle. Kennedy (?) and  Watt; ridiculously outrageous dives and should be embarrasssaed.

decent point bug should do better

8 hours ago, Widge said:

We were alright today without being at our best. We fell out the game when Craig went off for whatever reason, as Callachan doesn’t quite have the same composure, he’s too similar to Alston. He should have had a penalty though, no doubt that whilst Lewis didn’t make massive contact he had to jump 5 feet in the air to avoid him and thus impeded. Can call the GMS one or Aberdeen wrong side of the ground. As for the McKenna ones he’s instigating it all the time, there’s no way a referee can give a penalty for it. What I will say is that Collin was lenient with Aberdeen today for sure. Logan and McKenna should both have been booked for the exact same tackle Swanson got a card for. Considine could easily have walked on another day. Bar an excellent save from both keepers, it was two petty evenly matched teams despite what Aberdeen fans may think. There was no domination at all, possession yes, but they were not dominant.

"had to jump 5 ft in the air"

holy f**k. 

it was the second worst dive of the game.

If any of the penalty claims in the game had been awarded against Saints I'd be pissed off. 

Forget the McKenna ones, they are just plain silly.

May - nope. 

GMS - nope.

Kennedy - nope.

Callachan - nope.

Whilst Callachan did have to jump to avoid Lewis it was still not a penalty in my view. Lewis has every right to go for it and so does Callachan. Sometimes a common sense decision is made by refs and despite Collum being so random with his calls he got that one right too.

As said before, a fairly decent, relatively even game that produced a couple of good goals, a fine save from both keepers and a deserved point each.

12 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I agree with your first three paragraphs.  But I’m not so sure that Logan, Lowe, Gleeson, Shinnie, McGinn, Mckay-Steven, May, Forrester from our starting eleven, would agree that we’re a big physical side. (I’m presuming that you’re actually having a laugh with that comment.)

Fair enough on the size issue, it was from yesterday the only time I had the fear was from set plays as it seemed like Aberdeen were giants compared to us. We are quite a small side nowadays though, and now you mention it you have a mix of smaller players as well.

I definitely think Aberdeen are a physical side though, and I don't see why that's seen as a negative.  Over the last few years we've had a few eye bleeding matches with yourselves as they were just battles. We played a more physical style as well; we weren't great on the ball yesterday, but we're definitely trying to play a more atractive  style.

The Dons have a lot of decent players, and a much stronger squad than us. But under McInnes would you not agree that the identity of the team has been very hard working, and well organised, rather than playing particularly attractive football?  That's certainly my impression, but you see them a lot more than I do.

It's seen as a negative by some Aberdeen fans as they have this vision that they are a total footballing outfit that outpasses, outshoots and outscores all and sundry.
The reality is that they score a shed load of goals from set pieces because they have a few good players who can deliver a decent ball and a few big guys (and nominally have the last few years) who win their share of ball in both boxes.

13 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m fairly certain paulo is at most 18 years old.

The blend of obsessing over attendances, the temper tantrums when hearts are shit and the over excitement when they win a few games can only point to someone who’s balls have only recently dropped.

0FltS8d.jpg

12 hours ago, Menzel said:

He's got a weird thing with Aberdeen which other Hearts fans don't seem to have. I guess that's what happens when you say things like 

or

and then have to disappear for several months.

0FltS8d.jpg

12 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Enjoy your false dawn.

0FltS8d.jpg

17 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

It's seen as a negative by some Aberdeen fans as they have this vision that they are a total footballing outfit that outpasses, outshoots and outscores all and sundry.
The reality is that they score a shed load of goals from set pieces because they have a few good players who can deliver a decent ball and a few big guys (and nominally have the last few years) who win their share of ball in both boxes.

This. I don't mind Aberdeen, McInnes or some of their fans, but there's definitely a percentage who still see themselves as the all conquering European team who can pump teams like Saints by four or five every time. 

A silky footballing outfit doesn't have absolutely carthorses like Considine and Cosgrove in it. 

Fwiw I don't think they looked any weaker, or stronger, than Hibs this season. Their battle with Celtic, Rangers, Hibs and Hearts at the top should be tighter than the media are making out. Only issue they have is up front, May has never been a lone striker, and Cosgrove is genuinely Fallon-esque. I'd be screaming for McGinn and GMS either side of Anderson and May, you'd be open as f**k but youd run over half the teams in the league through sheer movement up front. McInnes is too "safe" to do that, though. 

1 hour ago, Menzel said:

When are you next planning your disappearing act, Paolo?

Probably when the Hertz have wrapped the title up and I'm lying in a gutter up the town somewhere in an alcohol-induced coma. h83zAKO.png

Archived