St Johnstone v Aberdeen, Saturday 15th September

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Collum actually got all the big decisions right. 

The one that the Random Aberdeen hater guy is talking about was never a penalty in a million years. The guy jumped over Lewis and fell down. 

5 minutes before that the Saints player was lucky not to be yellow carded for a laughable wee dive.

Wasn't a penalty in the last minute either, the Saints player got the ball. 

What about Considine going through the back of Kennedy when already on a booking, and getting away with a wee word? 

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

It's a thing I've never said before and am likely never to again, I thought Tanser was Saints MOM.

I thought he was poor, so was Kennedy. Wright yet again vanished from the game after half time. Think Alston was the best for us. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, RandomGuy. said:

What about Considine going through the back of Kennedy when already on a booking, and getting away with a wee word? 

You could well be right. I also thought Lowe's tackle was one of those in-between a yellow and red, and given what happened with Devlin last week Aberdeen have a right to feel a bit aggrieved that Alston's cynical foul on GMS when he was about to run into the box was only a yellow.

I only meant the penalty decisions, I thought he got them all correct. 

Just now, Bob Mahelp said:

You could well be right. I also thought Lowe's tackle was one of those in-between a yellow and red, and given what happened with Devlin last week Aberdeen have a right to feel a bit aggrieved that Alston's cynical foul on GMS when he was about to run into the box was only a yellow.

I only meant the penalty decisions, I thought he got them all correct. 

Fair enough. 

I think e can all agree here that an exciting game was hindered by an incompetent ref who seems to guess most of his decisions. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fair enough. 

I think e can all agree here that an exciting game was hindered by an incompetent ref who seems to guess most of his decisions. 

He was better than Craig Thompson last week, so every cloud and all that....

Fairly open and entertaining game in terms of action and incidents.

First half Aberdeen dominated possession but didn't create anything, whilst Saints looked dangerous on the break.

Second half, losing Liam Craig's calming influence in the centre of the park brought Aberdeen right on top of us. Mackay-Steven came alive and got room to run at Tanser and gave him a tough time. First half Tanser was our best player, winning loads of headers and looking very assured in possession.  Callachan has obviously not played a lot this season, and it certainly showed.  Very difficult match to come into at half time though.

Aberdeen fans shouting for a penalty every single time simply because we had one defender in front and one behind McKenna at corners and long throws in the first half was some of the most clueless football spectating you would ever hope to come across.

Draw probably fair enough in the end.

I'm still not convinced by Shaughnessy.  He's too soft;  I would rather have had Anderson in there today. Jason Kerr is a great defender but he is going to have to watch as the number of times he wins the ball then tries to be too clever and gives it away cheaply could well cost us.  The whole team were a bit careless with the ball at times to be honest.

Aberdeen are a big physical side. Other than GMS they're like a more talented version of Hamilton Accies. I think they should be well clear of relegation trouble though, especially the way Dundee have started the season.

50 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

So could May, his dive in the first half was absolutely pathetic. McKenna at long throws in was equally hilarious, got one hand round Tansers neck and the other going behind him dragging Shaughnessys shorts, then goes sprinting to the ref expecting a penalty. 

That right there is the epitome of rose tinted spectacles. Twice, within the space of 5 minutes, McKenna was sandwiched between two defenders. The one in front was backing in so hard he was almost horizontal, the one behind had him in a sleeper hold both times. I suppose it's a back-handed compliment to 'Scotland's future' that teams have to do that to nullify him.

Utterly abominable refereeing yet again. Absolutely in no way was that related to the firm and righteous statement the club made earlier this week...

That said, we can't complain about the result, we were utterly dominant for most of the match, had plenty of chances, and failed to put them away. But for a bit of brilliance we'd be lamenting a severly unjust defeat. We have the basis of an exceptional team, but we desperately need a creative spark. All the pennies in the piggy bank need to come out for Christie in January.

I took my tenant to the game, a young lad from Slovakia with no prior knowledge of Scottish football (apart from the Devlin red card I showed him), and paraphrasing; 'the referee was awful for both teams, but more awful for Aberdeen'. This is supposedly Scotland's best referee...

Guest Bob Mahelp
13 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Aberdeen are a big physical side. Other than GMS they're like a more talented version of Hamilton Accies. I think they should be well clear of relegation trouble though, especially the way Dundee have started the season.

I think we know what you wanted to say there, but you just tripped yourself up in your eagerness to be all clever and funny.

Go on, try again. 

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I think we know what you wanted to say there, but you just tripped yourself up in your eagerness to be all clever and funny.

Go on, try again. 

I feel it's fairly self-explanatory.

Happy to help out if you're struggling though Bob, which part don't you understand? 

This was my first look at the new-look Saints team. It's clearly still a work-in-progress, but we already look significantly better than last season. Tony Watt still caused a couple of problems despite having something of an off-day. David McMillan scored again and looks like a good option to have. Blair Alston might actually be a genuine candidate for a regular central midfield berth. Drey Wright really impressed me in the first half. Jason Kerr and Scott Tanser were stand-outs at the back, combining solid defensive work with surprising technical ability at times. In terms of the other new recruits, Kennedy will do well for us but might be one of those players who regularly floats in and out of games. It's too premature to judge Callachan at this stage. It's pleasing to see him getting into good attacking positions, but I highly doubt he'll solve our most pressing issues in central midfield. Interesting to note that he's currently above Tristan Nydam in the pecking order.

It looked like a penalty to me, but a draw was probably a fair result overall. Neither team could really get a hold of the game for an extended period of time. Willie Collum was desperate to make the match as stop-start as possible. As is regularly the case, he seemed keen to be the centre of attention.

Aberdeen look a shadow of their former selves. This St. Johnstone team could quite fathomably finish in the top six. Looking forward to seeing how we develop over the course of this season.

23 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

That right there is the epitome of rose tinted spectacles....

were utterly dominant for most of the match, had plenty of chances... 

Indeed... 

Aberdeen are all huff and no puff, Cosgrove header apart Clark didn't have to make a save. Very Dundee to claim passing the ball sideways in midfield is "dominating" though. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Indeed... 

Aberdeen are all huff and no puff, Cosgrove header apart Clark didn't have to make a save. Very Dundee to claim passing the ball sideways in midfield is "dominating" though. 

Feel free to check the statistics I posted previously.

10 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

This was my first look at the new-look Saints team. It's clearly still a work-in-progress, but we already look significantly better than last season. Tony Watt still caused a couple of problems despite having something of an off-day. David McMillan scored again and looks like a good option to have. Blair Alston might actually be a genuine candidate for a regular central midfield berth. Drey Wright really impressed me in the first half. Jason Kerr and Scott Tanser were stand-outs at the back, combining solid defensive work with surprising technical ability at times. In terms of the other new recruits, Kennedy will do well for us but might be one of those players who regularly floats in and out of games. It's too premature to judge Callachan at this stage. It's pleasing to see him getting into good attacking positions, but I highly doubt he'll solve our most pressing issues in central midfield. Interesting to note that he's currently above Tristan Nydam in the pecking order.

It looked like a penalty to me, but a draw was probably a fair result overall. Neither team could really get a hold of the game for an extended period of time. Willie Collum was desperate to make the match as stop-start as possible. As is regularly the case, he seemed keen to be the centre of attention.

Aberdeen look a shadow of their former selves. This St. Johnstone team could quite fathomably finish in the top six. Looking forward to seeing how we develop over the course of this season.

Nydham came on against Accies a fortnight ago.  He's just a slip of a lad.

Hes obviously got a lot of talent and potential but I cannot see him getting an awful lot of game time over the next few months. If he was a wide player, or striker, possibly. But centre midfield in our league is a bit of a battlefield and my worry is he would get bullied a bit.  Particularly the way we are set up just now, the two centre mids are not massively there to be creative, more to break play up and feed the front 4 and let them do their thing.  To be fair to Alston, he also had a couple of really well timed runs in behind today.

Time will tell with Nydham, he could well break into the team and be a star for us, but I'm just making my prediction based on about 20 minutes at Hamilton!

2 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

We're a shadow of our former selves...yet the statistics would suggest we're not so far away..

https://www.flashscores.co.uk/match/48NGHL2c/#match-statistics;0

Yuh

There's an old phrase about lies, damned lies and statistics that applies here I reckons

There's another old phrase about 'mid table mediocrity' that, unless AFC can find a spark among this group, will apply over the coming weeks & months too

Just now, Illgresi said:

We're a shadow of our former selves...yet the statistics would suggest we're not so far away..

https://www.flashscores.co.uk/match/48NGHL2c/#match-statistics;0

The most important statistic (the actual result) pales in comparison with Aberdeen's recent drubbings of St. Johnstone. Possession is all well and good, but the manner in which you maintained that possession was far less impressive than I'd have expected. There was a real lack of intensity at times.

Archived