St Johnstone v Aberdeen, Saturday 15th September

Pretty much in agreement with @Broon_100 in all the points he's made. The next four league games will give us a real gauge of this team. Results won't be the be-all but certainly against Aberdeen and Hearts, we need to be looking to compete; we didn't really lay a glove on either team last season.

Also concur about the new challenges now facing the manager, not just in man-management but picking the right team for the right game. He can't fall into the trap of overthinking things. Having options off the bench shouldn't prove too much of a headache for a good manager but then a really good manager shouldn't be relying on them too regularly.

Looking forward to the game.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, subtleapple said:

First game in pretty much a year on Saturday, been swayed to give 23 pounds to watch Danny Swanson play association football once again. Fucking brutal that there isn't a student price for match day tickets at McDiarmid. Just turned 20 and I'm not a dwarf however I'll be practicing my pre-pubic voice all of Saturday in an attempt to save a tenner.
Last game I went to was last October I think but we were that shite that I have genuinely forgotten all about it. On paper Saints have a team that should genuinely excite the support this year.
My dad has been raving about Tony watt and I am very excited to watch him in an actual match.

20 year old and moaning about not getting a discount into a football match unless you're disabled or unemployed is the real 'brutal' part of this.

20 year old and moaning about not getting a discount into a football match unless you're disabled or unemployed is the real 'brutal' part of this.
I don't particularly get what's weird to expect a student price for admission. Fans complain about clubs not doing enough in certain areas to attract a bigger crowd, this is a blatantly obvious flaw to me. Student discounts are commonplace in a good percentage of modern services and events. I find it completely backwards that there's not a category for 19-21 year olds or something similar. This is partly shite from saints but obviously ticket pricing is an issue all around Britain. Not going to get into that as I'm sure it's been discussed in great detail on this forum.

Just now, The Marly said:
14 minutes ago, tree house tam said:
Work a few more nights in a bar instead of coming on here spouting about getting money off.

c***s.

You usually get much angrier than this when students air their sense of entitlement re admission prices. You feeling ok mate?

I'm chilled atm. Had a glorious time touring Scotland, give me a few days when I'm back.

54 minutes ago, subtleapple said:

I don't particularly get what's weird to expect a student price for admission. Fans complain about clubs not doing enough in certain areas to attract a bigger crowd, this is a blatantly obvious flaw to me. Student discounts are commonplace in a good percentage of modern services and events. I find it completely backwards that there's not a category for 19-21 year olds or something similar. This is partly shite from saints but obviously ticket pricing is an issue all around Britain. Not going to get into that as I'm sure it's been discussed in great detail on this forum.

Saints offered season ticket prices for 18-21. Which was VVVV cheap.

Purely in business terms if we offered a student ticket fare type price I'd be fairly confident in saying we'd lose money. It wouldn't attract the number of fans required to justify the discount. 

Seen your other comments about calling it fucking brutal? - get yourself tae f**k. Expectant of discount just because you're a student. I'm afraid football is a privilege. If you can't afford it while you're a student then tough... While I was a student I didn't go basically for 3 years. 

Quick question. Usually in car and on the bypass when going to McDiarmid but going by train this weekend with my 9 year old.

Is walking from the station to ground realistic (I get in at 1:15)

Or if I’m taking him for a bite to eat is a taxi to the wee retail park with KFC etc and walking from there more sense ?

Also, train back is 6:15, what bus number is best back into the city after the game to get to station.

Cheers folks.

35 minutes ago, G-MAN said:

Quick question. Usually in car and on the bypass when going to McDiarmid but going by train this weekend with my 9 year old.

Or if I’m taking him for a bite to eat is a taxi to the wee retail park with KFC etc and walking from there more sense ?

Also, train back is 6:15, what bus number is best back into the city after the game to get to station.

Cheers folks.

It can be walked easily in that time, but that's a pretty big hike for a 9 year old, and a not particularly interesting route.  I'd definitely go  for the food and taxi option. Either KFC area which also has a frankie and bennies, or sandemans pub in town do burgers and pub food, and have a big seated area through in a different bit, well away from the bar. It has big screens and is huge so never has a busy pub feel. It's also about 50 yards walk to the main taxi rank outside the cinema.  There are plenty of decent places to eat in town as well.

I can't remember which bus no.  into town, but I think they're all headed in that direction anyway. You'll be fine for a 6:15 train.

It can be walked easily in that time, but that's a pretty big hike for a 9 year old, and a not particularly interesting route.  I'd definitely go  for the food and taxi option. Either KFC area which also has a frankie and bennies, or sandemans pub in town do burgers and pub food, and have a big seated area through in a different bit, well away from the bar. It has big screens and is huge so never has a busy pub feel. It's also about 50 yards walk to the main taxi rank outside the cinema.  There are plenty of decent places to eat in town as well.
I can't remember which bus no.  into town, but I think they're all headed in that direction anyway. You'll be fine for a 6:15 train.

Nice one. Cheers mate [emoji106]

Cheers folks.

I wouldn't get a taxi to the KFC retail park then walk to the ground, it's only about a 10 minute walk from the station to there but leaves about a 30-40 minute walk to the ground, especially with a 9 year-old. If going there I would get a taxi for the second part.
Sandeman option is a good shout.

15 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I see others have given most information you need but for the bus. 

If you're at KFC there's a bus stop outside the police station 2 mins from KFC. Number 2 from there will get you right up to the ground - right outside the gate by the Nissan garage. 

If you're in a pub near Mill Street like Sandman the guys have mentioned all the buses leave from Mill Street. Number 2 starts there too. 

On the way back down its probably easier getting on the number 2 again outside the ground. It'll take you through a bit of Perth but stops opposite the library in town which is the close to the train station and 5 min walk. 

I think everyone will be in agreement going into this game that it really doesn't matter who Aberdeen pick, or what formation they play on Saturday.  The outcome of this game boils down to the simple matter of whether the Perth galacticos can gel as a team.  

If not, the Dons could sneak a draw or narrow victory, but if so, then there can only be one winner..

Archived