Queen of the South v Crusaders

BIGdavieT

Only Dunfermline, Alloa and Ross County left from our Division, so hopefully in the draw we'll get somebody different in the next round ."Foreign" teams left are Sutton, Conan Quay, Bohemians, Sligo Rovers and Coleraine. (St Mirren U21's, Motherwell U21's,  Arbroath, East Fife, Montrose, Edinburgh City, and Queens Park are the others)

An overnight away trip to one of the “foreign” teams would me my first choice. Last season’s trip to Oswestry was most enjoyable and I’m sure that would be the view of the majority of 500 or so Queens fans who also made the trip.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Irn Bru Scottish Challenge Cup
Queen of the South 4-3 Crusaders
Palmerston Park, Dumfries
Admission £15, programme £1.50, food available
Attendance: 1204 (156 away)

The Irn Bru Challenge Cup is much derided these days, and as much as I despise the inclusion of Premiership clubs' U21 ('colts') teams, I have warmed to the fact that teams from elsewhere in the British Isles have been allowed to take part.
There were a number of Scottish v foreign clashes today, and I thought about Peterhead v Bohemians before settling on the shorter journey to one of my favourite Scottish League grounds.
Palmerston has classic floodlighting on high corner pylons and the biggest terrace left in Scotland, so it's always a ground I enjoy visiting. People who like to sit down are also well catered for, with old and new(er) stands on either side of the park.
I opted for the Portland Drive end, a deep covered terrace which offers a good view of the game, which for most of the first half was up the other end with home side Queens dominating.
Last week, they destroyed erstwhile Championship leaders with a five goal first half; this week Northern Irish champions Crusaders were blown away with four goals inside the first half hour.
At the centre of things was Stephen Dobbie, whose two well taken goals bumped his season's tally up to twenty already. He worked well with the tall Lyndon Dykes, who also helped himself to a goal. Pulling the midfield strings was Gary Harkins, another scorer, who I thought was starting to look past it in Morton colours last year, but who seems to have a new lease of life with the Doonhamers.
Crusaders forced Queens keeper Alan Martin into a fine early double save and also hit the bar, but they were outclassed in the first half, and were ultimately lucky that Queens missed a couple of other excellent goalscoring opportunities.
It looked like game over at the halfway stage, but two goals early in the second half - the second a penalty - gave the Belfast side hope and when they scored a third near the end, an unlikely comeback looked like a district possibility. Queens were pedestrian throughout the half and almost paid the price, but despite a couple of anxious moments very late on, they saw the game out to progress to Tuesday's third round draw. They look as good a bet as anyone to lift the trophy.
With the sun out for most of the game, Palmerston was the perfect spot in which to enjoy an exciting cup tie.
I was driving today so no opportunity to sample the bars of Dumfries town centre, but I did nip into the Queen of the South Arena adjacent to the ground for a look. This building was a supermarket for a while after Queens sold their car park, but they have acquired it back. It includes indoor training pitches and a cafe.
Programmes were on sale at £1.50, a thinner effort than is produced for league matches but not bad.
Food is on sale from a hatch at the back of the terracing when I stood as well as elsewhere in the ground; scotch pies were decent. Chips, macaroni pies, bridies and sausage rolls were also available but not sampled.

Any excuse not to talk about that woeful 2nd half but I see in today's papers that the Crusaders Manager was sent to the stands following an altercation with a Queens fan.  The Queens fan apparently used a derogatory term in addressing the Crusaders Manager who reacted to this which the linesman's reported to the Referee. Also,  according to an earlier post,   in a separate incident one of the so called young team referred to a Crusaders fan who had got in amongst our support as a H*- which resulted in a bit of minor trouble.  Obviously the Crusaders Manager was wrong to react as he did,  even though verbally abused,  and the rogue Crusaders fan shouldn't have been in amongst our fans,  but it highlights that Queens have their fair share of arsehole fans also who seem to think such behaviour is just "banter". 

Any excuse not to talk about that woeful 2nd half but I see in today's papers that the Crusaders Manager was sent to the stands following an altercation with a Queens fan.  The Queens fan apparently used a derogatory term in addressing the Crusaders Manager who reacted to this which the linesman's reported to the Referee. Also,  according to an earlier post,   in a separate incident one of the so called young team referred to a Crusaders fan who had got in amongst our support as a H*- which resulted in a bit of minor trouble.  Obviously the Crusaders Manager was wrong to react as he did,  even though verbally abused,  and the rogue Crusaders fan shouldn't have been in amongst our fans,  but it highlights that Queens have their fair share of arsehole fans also who seem to think such behaviour is just "banter". 

Just a daft 16 year boy by all accounts. We were all young and daft. The incident wouldn’t of happened in the first place if that nut job hadn’t been in the wrong end

The atmosphere at Palmerston has been fantastic in recent months and we don’t won’t that to disappear like before. From what I witnessed yesterday it’s pretty much self policed by the more mature supporters among us.
Step out of line lads and you’re not welcome

Great highlights as usual.

Still think Jacobs is fouled in the lead up to the first. Soft but still think he's pushed. Glad QoSTV picked up the throw-in. I was absolutely fizzing with the linesman (think I heard myself in the highlights [emoji38]). I'm getting really fed up with linesmen giving throw-ins when the ball edges over the line. There's absolutely no chance he'd give a goal had that been on the goal-line, so why do linesmen fail to apply the same rules for throw-ins? The exact same thing happened against Ayr. And to compound the misery, as I thought at the time, that's an awful decision by the ref for the penalty. How the hell Doyle is supposed to move his hand (from a natural position!) away from the ball there completely baffles me. And I still have no clue what Mercer was doing. He needs to forget about it though and put in a good shift on Saturday.

13 passes before Dykes's goal. More good build up is great to see.

16 hours ago, sureiknow said:

He's a Christian. 

He turns the other cheek. 

As for that gurney wee b*****d Healy he deserves all the Red Cards he gets.

Your dislike of Healy is irrelevant, as is Baxter's religion.

Stanley has had numerous altercations and offers of square goes in his IL career as a manager.

Some observations.

Looks even less than a penalty in the highlights. It seemed to be a spinning ball from a short distance which glanced against a hand in a natural position.  If he hadn’t touched it, it wasn’t going anywhere.

First Crusaders goal, thought Semple should maybe have got there first,  he let the guy ahead of him.  Although two Crusaders defenders stood and watched Harkins casually side foot in his!

Complete mess up by Mercer for the third, but credit to the Crusader guy for a tidy finish, subtle dink over Martin.

Think I’ve just about recovered from the almost nervous breakdown in those last 5 minutes.....

2 minutes ago, QOSQOS said:

Some observations.

Looks even less than a penalty in the highlights. It seemed to be a spinning ball from a short distance which glanced against a hand in a natural position.  If he hadn’t touched it, it wasn’t going anywhere.

First Crusaders goal, thought Semple should maybe have got there first,  he let the guy ahead of him.  Although two Crusaders defenders stood and watched Harkins casually side foot in his!

Complete mess up by Mercer for the third, but credit to the Crusader guy for a tidy finish, subtle dink over Martin.

Think I’ve just about recovered from the almost nervous breakdown in those last 5 minutes.....

Incredibly slack defence by the NI Champions for the 1st half goals.

37 minutes ago, QOSQOS said:

Some observations.

Penalty very harsh for me. Ball spins up off his thigh and I dont see any hand to ball movement.

First one Jacobs gets all wrong then makes a good recovery tackle only to find it fall straight to an untracked runner. Doyle has the scorer marked but leaves him to step over to help and Semple who had gone into midfield to challenge for the original ball, doesnt get back in time to cover him. He is still 2 yds away when the guy scores. Its probably a bit simplistic to just blame a Jacobs error. There was more to it, but that is where it starts.

Archived