Queen of the South v Crusaders

BIGdavieT

That result reminded me of the Airdrie vs Ballymena United game in the Texaco Cup in the 1970, Scottish Team vs Irish Team, exactly the same result, exactly the same scoring pattern, we were 4-0 up at half time and it was 4-3 at full time - weird

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure Queens thought it was game over when they came out second half. I'm sure Naysmith said keep it going same again. The problem was Crusaders up the pace and closed down quicker, played further up the field and forced two quick mistakes at start of second half that gave them confidence. At half time they had nothing to lose and almost didn't lose. First half would have been different if Martin hadn't had that double save in second min.

Thought Queens were looking to make a change first half, was that an injury to Dobbie mentioned above. I didn't see anything. What happened to manager in second half that he was sent to stand. He didn't half seem to be arguing back at the decision

There was a key minute at one point that probably went a long way towards determining the outcome of this, given how close it ended up.

At 1-0, they hit the inside of the post and it came out back across the front of the goal.  Moments later, a big deflection took Dykes' shot past the goalkeeper.  

Two large slices of luck that both went our way to make it 2-0, when it might easily have been 1-1. 

A brilliant spell of play in first half led to 4 great goals although Crusaders could have had 2 goals themselves. Some of our link up play was outstanding and was a continuation from past two weeks.

Must say that it was very disappointing to see us make a complete botch of the second half. That said it highlights how matches can turn and when you lose the momentum it is very difficult to get it back. Hopefully we have learned a lesson.

Credit to Crusaders for a terrific fight back - after that first half mauling I didn't think we would be needing our players to run the ball into the corner to waste time but that is exactly how matters unfolded.

There was a key minute at one point that probably went a long way towards determining the outcome of this, given how close it ended up.
At 1-0, they hit the inside of the post and it came out back across the front of the goal.  Moments later, a big deflection took Dykes' shot past the goalkeeper.  
Two large slices of luck that both went our way to make it 2-0, when it might easily have been 1-1. 

Yeah that was a big moment in the game. After we got that second every attack looked like ending up in the net. It was then roles reversed in the second half. When they got their second I feared the worst for the ten minutes or so they were on top. We managed to ride the storm though, and our visitors looked to have run out of ideas until Mercer’s gift. They then missed a free header, and blazed a half chance over the bar.

Our second half was summed up by some terrible decision making by our two new signings. After some brilliant work by Frizzell to keep the ball in the corner and eventually win the free kick, we inexplicably played the free kick to no-one instead of continuing to keep it in the corner. At that point I was certain we were going to complete our collapse and face the prospect of extra-time.

11 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Yeah that was a big moment in the game. After we got that second every attack looked like ending up in the net. It was then roles reversed in the second half. When they got their second I feared the worst for the ten minutes or so they were on top. We managed to ride the storm though, and our visitors looked to have run out of ideas until Mercer’s gift. They then missed a free header, and blazed a half chance over the bar.

Our second half was summed up by some terrible decision making by our two new signings. After some brilliant work by Frizzell to keep the ball in the corner and eventually win the free kick, we inexplicably played the free kick to no-one instead of continuing to keep it in the corner. At that point I was certain we were going to complete our collapse and face the prospect of extra-time.

Straight to pens I think, no extra-time.  Two of our best penalty takers were off by then as well. 

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Sounds like I need to see it again.

Honestly though, I thought 'penalty' even before it was given.  The guys with me saw it the same way.  We were actually having a laugh over Doyle's protests.

Never a pen Doyle's arm never moved  the ball was hit from very close amazing decision from the ref.

Bizarre game, could have ended any score. Thought we were going to blow it after a second half performance that was even more abject than the first half capitulation against Dundee United. And this hot on the heels of a scintillating first half of attacking football, where our front 4 were almost unplayable for the third game in a row. 

We could have been one down after no time, when Jacobs, not for the first time this season, or the last time in this game, got dispossessed in a dangerous area and Martin had to pull off a smart double save. Maybe it’s just me, as I hear Queens fans raving about Jacobs all the time, but whenever I see him he’s often disappointing. Crusaders looked ok going forward, but then the Dobbie, Harkins, Dykes and Stirling show took over again, and after half an hour it was a case of how many do we want. I didn’t think Crusaders looked all that bad (they were much better than the abject Falkirk side we thrashed a couple of weeks ago), so it was a testament to some excellent attacking play.

Dykes and Stirling are much improved this season (I thought Stirling was outstanding again today - tricky and pacy, a constant threat). Dobbie looks leaner and sharper than ever, and Harkins exudes quality. When those four hit form, as they look liable to do almost every time they take to the field, then they’ll destroy teams. A bit worried that we might not keep hold of Dykes at the next window, as his rampaging performances of late won’t have gone unnoticed. Up until this season he looked like an athlete who needed to develop into a footballer. Now he looks like a very good player.

However, for all the qualities of the attacking quartet, we still look very brittle at times, and if Crusaders had equalised before the end, it wouldn’t have been undeserved. Their second half display was as good as ours was bad. Maybe we just switched off mentally after going four up, and couldn’t switch back on, but Mercer and Jacobs (who gave the ball away again in a dangerous position in the second half, and got punished this time) weren’t alone in looking like weak links as the game progressed. 

If we carry that (second half) level of performance into the Ross County game, the Fantastic Four will have to create and score a barrowload just to keep us in the game. One thing we can rely upon, not just for next week, but for the rest of the season:

There will be goals. Lots of them.

Definition

A handball occurs if any player, other than the team’s goalkeeper within his own penalty area, *deliberately* handles the ball when in play. A ball can be handled with any part of the arm, from the tips of a player’s fingers right up to the shoulder.

My take on the handball appears to be similar to MT’s. I thought Doyle lifted his arm and made a purposeful attempt at blocking the ball. I’m sure our excellent highlights will clear it up.

As for Jacobs. He’s limited but very good at the things he can do. Passing and keeping possession aren’t his fortes though. He should be looking to move the ball onto one of our ball players (of which there are plenty now) as quickly as possible when he gets it. Not for the first time he dilly dallied today and we were punished.

Only Dunfermline, Alloa and Ross County left from our Division, so hopefully in the draw we'll get somebody different in the next round ."Foreign" teams left are Sutton, Conan Quay, Bohemians, Sligo Rovers and Coleraine. (St Mirren U21's, Motherwell U21's,  Arbroath, East Fife, Montrose, Edinburgh City, and Queens Park are the others)

10 hours ago, JessieField said:

Only Dunfermline, Alloa and Ross County left from our Division, so hopefully in the draw we'll get somebody different in the next round ."Foreign" teams left are Sutton, Conan Quay, Bohemians, Sligo Rovers and Coleraine. (St Mirren U21's, Motherwell U21's,  Arbroath, East Fife, Montrose, Edinburgh City, and Queens Park are the others)

Firstly, congrats to The Doonhammers. Say what you like about this tournament it definitely adds an edge for teams playing for their club and country. 

With that list you’ll fancy your chances of lifting the cup. I’d imagine Ross’ MD will be having a word about the priorities being the league. Enjoy the journey! 

Well I got that wrong. We put out a weakened team. You looked very impressive in the first half. Dobbie is sharp and Harkins still has something. I well remember him owning Firhill. You looked like you could score with every attack. Second half we regained some pride. Sorry about the rogue supporter. Like most clubs we have our share of p***ks. A lot of fans belittle this competition, but I seem to recall you enjoying your day out at Almondvale. Good luck.

Well I got that wrong. We put out a weakened team. You looked very impressive in the first half. Dobbie is sharp and Harkins still has something. I well remember him owning Firhill. You looked like you could score with every attack. Second half we regained some pride. Sorry about the rogue supporter. Like most clubs we have our share of p***ks. A lot of fans belittle this competition, but I seem to recall you enjoying your day out at Almondvale. Good luck.
Tbf to the rest of your support, when that clown was trying to dodge the stewards in among your supporters, a lot of your support were telling the eejit to beat it.

Tbf to the rest of your support, when that clown was trying to dodge the stewards in among your supporters, a lot of your support were telling the eejit to beat it.

After the event 2 stewards walked past me in the Portland Road end and I overheard them discussing how they try and find people smoking behind the terrace. Between that and confiscating soft drinks from school boys I’m glad they’ve got their priorities right [emoji35]
They go for the easy target all the time and when faced will real “stewarding” issues they bottle it. Last week we had a pissed up Ayr fan make it all the way to the 18 yard box before he tripped himself up and now we’ve had 2 away fans make it into the home end in recent years unchallenged and looking to cause bother.
Serious questions should be asked on G4’s performance and fines imposed if they can’t do their job correctly!!

Archived