Queen of the South v Crusaders

BIGdavieT

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leighfield in for Martin is likely.

Same back 4 of Mercer Doyle Semple and Marshall.

Frizzell in for stirling maybe. I think Harkins Todd and jacobs should all start. (Maybe bell in for jacobs but unsure)

Dobbie and dykes

I would argue not to much change for the team sheet. But bring subs on earlier. So if we find ourselves in a winning position give run outs to Norman jr, bell etc.

Nobody actually deserves to be dropped so its a good headache for the manager.

Think there should be some resting players. Even if we bring in bell, Murray and Norman. Then hopefully if we’re getting job done we can take couple more of later. Don’t think we can take chance of injuries, likes of Todd who gets knocks quite a lot maybe one of them to be protected.

I get the not changing a winning team but we can’t afford the injuries and at the moment were going well I’d rather make sure we had everyone fit for Ross county the week after.

Would be happy enough for Dobbie to be benched here. He'd likely do damage given the last 20 minutes anyway.

It's come at completely the wrong time for us given our patch of form. Would much rather be playing in the league.

Would like to win to knock out one of the foreign sides but if we get through without any injuries I'll be pleased regardless of the result.

Losing to St.Johnstone didn’t affect the “momentum” in the next 2 league games. So, I don’t see how playing a weakened team in this and losing would have any effect on league results. Up to the manager, but I’d rather not risk any key players and lose this than play them just to try to maintain some nebulous “momentum” theory that may or may not exist.
Last season, we beat Dumbarton at home followed by Falkirk away, then Berwick in the diddy cup, before drawing with Livi then losing at home to Morton. Beating Berwick for a third win in a row looks like it had zero impact on the subsequent league games.
There are reasons for and against resting players. But maintaining momentum isn’t one of them, imo.

There’s a difference between scraping past Dumbarton and beating the league leaders, undefeated Aye United at home 5-0, in one of the best attacking displays at Palmerston in a long, long time. I’ve been a fan for 12 years or so, and can’t recall seeing us look so good offensively at this level. Imagine winning 3-0, 5-0, and then comfortably against Crusaders (say 3-0?) that really sends a message out to the teams in this league.

Leighfield is more than capable and would be happy to see him get some game time, David Norman JR will need experience at this level, this is as good a game as any to throw him in to get some much needed experience. I’d also love to see Frizzell get a game, but none of the front 4 deserve to be dropped. Dobbie is unstoppable at the minute, if (like Linfield and TNS) Crusaders prove to be tricky to break down, Harkins is the player to do it. Lyndon is almost as important to the team as Dobbie, 4 assists and a win penalty speak for themselves, even McCall was singing his praises after the game. Andy Stirling is on the best run of form ever in a Queens shirt and dropping him could dent his confidence. If they’re as bad as people seem to be insinuating they are, we should be 3-0 up by HT and able to give some reserves a half of football.

I understand the reasons for wanting to win. My point is that “momentum” isn’t really a thing. If we field a weakened team against Crusaders and lose, it will make absolutely no difference to our league campaign. Similarly, beating Crusaders will have zero effect on the County game. There are any number of examples of losing in the Challenge Cup having no effect on league results. St.Mirren lost to Raith last season and it didn’t have any adverse effect on their “momentum”.

It would be good to win and get through, but if that comes at the expense of an injury to Dobbie, Harkins or any of the other key players then it wouldn’t be worth it, imo. Others might argue otherwise, and that is fine. All I am saying is that “momentum” isn’t a reason for not trying to protect players from injury. 

On 03/09/2018 at 15:42, SUPERSOUTH said:

Same starting 11 why change a team that's winning well. 

This!Said it before,saying it again,you play your best team that is not injured,otherwise it is cheating the fans.Who could be dropped after last weeks performance?What a kick in the teeth for that to happen to anyone!

Disrespecting the fans would be playing the under 12s, making a few changes to a side that has already played 10 games this season in order to preserve players for at least another 33 games is fairly standard squad management.

This!Said it before,saying it again,you play your best team that is not injured,otherwise it is cheating the fans.Who could be dropped after last weeks performance?What a kick in the teeth for that to happen to anyone!
I'm pretty sure any player dropped will know it's for their own good and not because they did anything wrong in the previous two games.

I'd be more than happy for Harkins and Dobbie to be rested for this and would see it more as a good move by Naysmith rather than him "cheating" us. It's going to be a long hard season and we need to rest our better/older players where we can. This Saturday's game is the least important game we'll play the rest of the season*.

* Unless we have to nothing to play for going into the last game or two.

Would rather start with our best team and make changes once we have a commanding lead rather than risk it by making too many changes in our starting 11.

I think we saw in the Stenhousemuir game what we can expect when our big hitters are rested.

Plus, with our great run of form hopefully the home fans will turn up in good numbers. They will be expecting a strong staring 11 coupled with a good performance and rightly so.

I would start with the same team as last week hopefully if the game is going well then we can bring subs on.

The Stenhousemuir game it was midweek so Naysmith was right to rest players .

Norman surely has to play a few games in the res. to be ready for the 1st team 

Cant remember where but I read somewhere that they're putting on an extra coach, and their website now says the buses are almost full. Could of course just be to save folk driving and getting the ferry themselves, or could be tiny buses!

6am departure, fair play to them. 11.30 arrival in Dumfries, the pubs will be happy!

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Any indication of the possible number of visiting fans expected? Do their fans even know this game is taking place?  There's zero interest being shown on here from them but maybe they don't know about P&B of course. 

Expecting circa 150 from Belfast.

Disrespecting the fans would be playing the under 12s, making a few changes to a side that has already played 10 games this season in order to preserve players for at least another 33 games is fairly standard squad management.

Some squad management would be good but I don’t think we need to field a bunch of eleven year olds, is that even allowed?!

A lot of split opinions on this but we can probably keep everyone happy by playing Leighfield, Forzell, Norman and perhaps the best performer of the young lads, would that be Bell?

Other than that field a strong side and if we are winning comfortably get Dobbie and those who need it most off the pitch by 60 minutes.

4 hours ago, BIGdavieT said:

Some squad management would be good but I don’t think we need to field a bunch of eleven year olds, is that even allowed?!

A lot of split opinions on this but we can probably keep everyone happy by playing Leighfield, Forzell, Norman and perhaps the best performer of the young lads, would that be Bell?

Other than that field a strong side and if we are winning comfortably get Dobbie and those who need it most off the pitch by 60 minutes.

Connor Murray may be worth a start,   Leighfield &  Bell also but I don't think any of the other "youngsters" should be thrown in to what will be a difficult,  possibly physical,  game.  

Edit to add: I don't know enough about Frizzell or Norman Jnr to say if they could be given a run out or maybe a place on the bench. 

We're looking forward to this game. We may take it a little more seriously than some Scotish fans. If nothing else, the introduction of "foreign" teams has made this cup a little more interesting. Last season we went quite far , both football wise and geographiclly. This season we have got off to a very slow start, and took a right thrashing on Monday night. Our best player signed for Oxford United in the close season, and is doing very well there. We haven't quite worked out how to play without him. We are not a full time team although some players train more often than most local teams. We have a  manager,  who is full time and has done a brilliant job in his time at the club. He has a very professional attitude, and this has worked its way right through our club, both on and off the park. He is living proof of the difference one man can make. A lot of other people work hard off the field. Mostly volunteers. Despite our nickname we are not a dirty side, although we can hold our own in a tussle. I expect Stephen to play a strong team. He will certainly treat this as a game to win. I look forward to adding Palmerstown to my list of Scotish grounds visited. I have been to Motherwell,Ayr,Morton.Sterling,Raith,Gretna (remember them),Falkirk(old ground),Hamilton, Hibs,Stranraer,Hampton,Aberdeen,Kilmarnock. I'm sure I've misseda few out. Guess my Scotish team. Sorry for rambling on. See you tomorrow. 

Archived