Queen of the South v Crusaders

BIGdavieT

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, BIGdavieT said:

I presume this isn’t being shown live on some obscure NI channel?!

No. Anyone wanting to watch the match needs to get along to Palmerston on Saturday afternoon, remember it's a 2.30pm k/o.

35 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

No. Anyone wanting to watch the match needs to get along to Palmerston on Saturday afternoon, remember it's a 2.30pm k/o.

Might be a bit much to expect him to come across from Dubai for a Challenge Cup 2nd round tie!

It's come at a bad time for us this one, I'd much prefer a league match this weekend to keep the momentum going.  Still it's a good opportunity to get into the next round of a cup competition which is what it's all about at the end of the day.  I'd still make a raft of changes to the team though.  Hopefully starts for Leighfield, Norman, Bell, Murray, Frizzell and Tremble.

1 minute ago, palmy_cammy said:

Might be a bit much to expect him to come across from Dubai for a Challenge Cup 2nd round tie!

It's come at a bad time for us this one, I'd much prefer a league match this weekend to keep the momentum going.  Still it's a good opportunity to get into the next round of a cup competition which is what it's all about at the end of the day.  I'd still make a raft of changes to the team though.  Hopefully starts for Leighfield, Norman, Bell, Murray, Frizzell and Tremble.

A win in this game would keep the momentum going too. After the last two games I wouldnt make any major changes, maybe play the two new loan signings to see what they're like

6 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

8 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Same starting 11 why change a team that's winning well. 

20 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

• So they don't get tired
  • To protect them from potential injuries
  • To give young lads experience which may be needed later
  • To see what the loans have to offer
  • So loan players get the game time they've come here for
  • To reward the team which won in the last round.

Not saying we should or should not make changes, but there are plenty of good reasons for doing so.

21 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Because the vast majority of the team that is winning well will have played virtually every minute of every game.  We have a small squad and inevitably the youngsters will be required at some point in the season.  This joke competition is a perfect time to give them some experience.  It is also a good opportunity to see what the loan players are like.

We probably won't make as many changes as I am suggesting but I will be very surprised if we don't see a few.

6 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Not saying we should or should not make changes, but there are plenty of good reasons for doing so.

Its a Saturday game with no midweek games either side, in September. Im not sure anyone should be getting tired.

Protection from injuries is obviously the biggest reason. Imagine the kick in the stones if Dobbie were to be crocked on Saturday.

However, that could happen anytime, or even in training, I'd rather see us stick with largely the same team and build up a winning run and some momentum.

7 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Its a Saturday game with no midweek games either side, in September. Im not sure anyone should be getting tired.

Protection from injuries is obviously the biggest reason. Imagine the kick in the stones if Dobbie were to be crocked on Saturday.

However, that could happen anytime, or even in training, I'd rather see us stick with largely the same team and build up a winning run and some momentum.

Fatigue can build up over a season though. This is, according to the manager, the reason Dobbs has been released from training on a regular basis when the rest of the squad have trained.

1 hour ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

No way Capt Dobbie or the other 10 players that have started the last 2 games will want rested. Keep the current first choice 11 playing together for a 3rd game in a row as we prepare to entertain league leaders Ross County the following week.

Losing to St.Johnstone didn’t affect the “momentum” in the next 2 league games. So, I don’t see how playing a weakened team in this and losing would have any effect on league results. Up to the manager, but I’d rather not risk any key players and lose this than play them just to try to maintain some nebulous “momentum” theory that may or may not exist.

Last season, we beat Dumbarton at home followed by Falkirk away, then Berwick in the diddy cup, before drawing with Livi then losing at home to Morton. Beating Berwick for a third win in a row looks like it had zero impact on the subsequent league games.

There are reasons for and against resting players. But maintaining momentum isn’t one of them, imo.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Losing to St.Johnstone didn’t affect the “momentum” in the next 2 league games. So, I don’t see how playing a weakened team in this and losing would have any effect on league results. Up to the manager, but I’d rather not risk any key players and lose this than play them just to try to maintain some nebulous “momentum” theory that may or may not exist.

Last season, we beat Dumbarton at home followed by Falkirk away, then Berwick in the diddy cup, before drawing with Livi then losing at home to Morton. Beating Berwick for a third win in a row looks like it had zero impact on the subsequent league games.

There are reasons for and against resting players. But maintaining momentum isn’t one of them, imo.

I think the "momentum" comments are more about the performances than the results.  Despite the defeat the St Johnstone game is arguably when this run of good form started.  We could change the team for Saturday and win, but still lose momentum because the partnerships being built up between Semple and Doyle, Todd and Jacobs and the front 4 have been split up.  I'm not saying they will play like a bunch of strangers, but teams and players go through purple patches and I can see why people would be keen to do everything possible to keep it going.

I'm still inclined to look at the bigger picture and blood a few of the squad and give those who are perhaps carrying minor knocks a rest.  Even if we do have to bring on the likes of Dobbie and Harkins as we did in the round before to get through.

It's a tough call for the manager, but one he is ultimately paid to make.  He's got most things right this season so we shall wait and see.

Archived