Buffs v Beith Scottish Cup clash 50+ years ago

Blackie Gold

January 29th 1966 and Buffs and Beith go head to to head at Abbey Park in the Scottish Cup. 5,000  attend the match breaking the Abbey Park attendance record. Unfortunately for the "Buffs" Beith ran out 5-1 winners. Back in the day when footy was footy.

0ddfe12d-47c3-48ab-8bf8-f3eb18ef1483.png

14 hours ago, buffy1899 said:

5,000,must have been crammed in.most I've seen is an estimated 3,000 at a Scottish tie,bout 20 yrs ago against Camelon I think.

Talbot's record is 10,000 v Meadow, Abbey Park might have had a different lay out at that time.

16 hours ago, Blackie Gold said:

January 29th 1966 and Buffs and Beith go head to to head at Abbey Park in the Scottish Cup. 5,000  attend the match breaking the Abbey Park attendance record. Unfortunately for the "Buffs" Beith ran out 5-1 winners. Back in the day when footy was footy.

0ddfe12d-47c3-48ab-8bf8-f3eb18ef1483.png

Was at the three games in this article between shettleston v neilston ,town won 1-0 at Renfrew  beat ardeer got beat in semi with Whitburn crowds then were unbelievable.

Guest Moomintroll
Talbot's record is 10,000 v Meadow, Abbey Park might have had a different lay out at that time.
Before my time but if the guide hall was there in the 60s then would have been pretty much the same layout as the Camelon game. Was busy that day but was still space around the old social club area iirc.

1 hour ago, lonewolfie said:

Was Pouter Crawford in that Beith team, or was he from an earlier time?

Just found out the game was moved to the 22nd of January so not to clash with other big games nearby. The JohnstoneBurgh v Greenock match was a 10,000 all ticket sell out the following week. As for your question their was a Crawford playing for Beith. I have put up the teams for you.

237b4918-c7e5-47c6-9001-9d9a0e743170.png

Before my time but if the guide hall was there in the 60s then would have been pretty much the same layout as the Camelon game. Was busy that day but was still space around the old social club area iirc.

Aye it was busy ,but room 2 move.Think the Buffs won,but the game will probably b more remembered 4 the trouble after it!!

Guest Moomintroll

Aye it was busy ,but room 2 move.Think the Buffs won,but the game will probably b more remembered 4 the trouble after it!!
Struggling to remember if that was the game the Buffs drew before losing the replay after Camelon were down to 9 men at one point.

Guest Moomintroll

I'm the same ,as we always seem 2 draw them or arthurlie in the Scottish years ago.
I spent far too long pronouncing it as Kammelon rather than Kame lun.

Just like now beith v buffs in Scottish for third time in recent years it’s 1 all in who went through as semi was a win a piece
I'm sure Buffs beat Beith 1-0 at Bellsdale the season before that as well in the Scottish, second or third round. I think it was Chris Strain's first season as manager.

5 hours ago, energyzone said:
11 hours ago, classof2010 said:

Just like now beith v buffs in Scottish for third time in recent years it’s 1 all in who went through as semi was a win a piece

I'm sure Buffs beat Beith 1-0 at Bellsdale the season before that as well in the Scottish, second or third round. I think it was Chris Strain's first season as manager.

Yeah youre correct it will be three games played as classof2010  said in his own wee way  , the game you mentioned which was beith 0 kilwinning 1 ; then the semi first leg which was beith 3 kilwinning 0 ( reid, christie and sheridan) , and the second leg kilwinning 1 ( stewart ) beith 0. 

Three games played with both teams progressing once each.

Archived