Trapdoorwatch 2018-19

I've said before that I, in theory, aren't opposed to B teams in the league pyramid with a few caveats (mainly they'd need to be ran as an entirely separate organisation but with the same owners so no dropping/ lifting players between clubs outside transfer windows for instance) but any attempt to do so would just be a total stitch up by a handful of clubs for their own benefit rather than any supposed arguments about how it would be good for the national team or whatever.

But if they were ever allowed into the pyramid why the f**k do they get to jump ahead of other clubs? Why would Blackburn or Bonnyton Thistle, who've made a lot of effort to get into the pyramid, at no small expense, and are still trying to improve their lot suddenly be keen on letting Killie U-21s jump ahead of them? 

Oh dear god, not this again! Sadly it seems like its only a matter of time until one of these proposals is accepted, not because anyone really wants outside of the premier league teams who presumably benefit from it,  but just to shut up the people who keep coming up with the same idea packaged a different way! Fans mainly don't want their teams playing colts team, i presume players don't really want to play them either.

Again we are back to this nonsense.

Seems like they are just going to keep trying to force the issue on Colt teams getting into our league set up, suppose the thinking is; keep trying eventually we will crumble or just get fed up and ignore one of the many attempts.  

Just never ceases to amaze that the views of the lower league fans (and 95% of the actual member clubs)  are treated with contempt just so the minority get their own selfish way. Have said on every occasion so far, I would be finished if a Colt team were introduced to a league the my team were in, also completely boycott any of the cup matches were they are involved in.  

And just to add: because of the colt teams in the Dutch 2nd tier (and lower), fewer players are now being loaned out or let go to smaller clubs. That results in smaller clubs struggling more to fill their squads and their standards going down.

25 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

This is how 'our' (Dutch) second tier looked last season, with Jong meaning as much as Colts. Having these reserve sides in your pyramid just isn't worth it;

Untitled.png

That is some mental caper. Tenth place (out of 20) goes into the promotion play offs?

ETA: Dordrecht in 13th got into the play offs as well? Did they win a raffle or something?

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

1 minute ago, peternapper said:

Seems an odd set up, why does 2nd 4th & 7th  place get promoted yet 3rd & 6th go into 2nd round of play-offs

I think 4th and 7th got promoted via the play offs

Also the league is split into four "periods" of nine. If you win the league in one of those quarters yer guarantees a play off place no matter where you finish.

I would much rather be relegated into the Lowland league than this abomination they are suggesting.

With the junior teams now on board it should be a fairly decent league within the next few years. Rather than league 3 where 8 out of 11 away games would be either up in the Highlands or against a Colt side.

29 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Also the league is split into four "periods" of nine. If you win the league in one of those quarters yer guarantees a play off place no matter where you finish.

Sounds like a good European method, is the rule book under 500 pages long :P

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Correct on both indeed. It seems a pretty bizarre setup yes. With 8 clubs in the promotion play-offs in what is effectively a 16 team league (as colt teams are not eligible for promotion), that means that at the end of the season half of the teams are in the play-offs. And the champions (or best eligible team get promoted automatically on top of that.

As mentioned would hope this never gets off the ground but has there been any mention on how the 4 colts teams would be picked, there are the two obvious ones but how would two be decided out of the other ten premier league sides would it depend on league placing or just on who made the most noise. If it lasted more than one season it would be possible to have entirely different teams in the SPL top four so would teams be changed like for like or would more LL/HFL teams be discarded from the new league, the whole thing would be a shambles & as usual the SPL teams would soon tire of it  & leave a sorry mess behind. Let them try & make their own reserve league a place for full time youngsters to learn their trade & let the rest of the leagues develop fairly. 

Everything about this proposal is a joke. It is no exaggeration to say this will destroy lower league football. I would be very disappointed if my club was to support this no matter how many £s they offer as blackmail.

Here are just a few of the questions that need answered.

How would the 4 colt sides be chosen?

How can it be considered fair or appropriate to parachute them in above all the sides who have joined the pyramid?

If this is deemed a success and more teams want a colt side what happens then?

Can these colt sides gain promotion and if so how far up the leagues can they progress?

What is the aim of introducing colt sides at tier 5? Do we seriously expect this to develop Scottish premier league standard (or better) players?

As I've said before, if the Colt teams are placed into the SPFL set up then I will not be attending a Scottish game again. Doubt it will happen though far too many clubs are not going to risk losing their support to keep 2 of the scummiest organisations on this planet happy.