Trapdoorwatch 2018-19

Think the SPFL side get home tie last as part of the agreement when pyramid system was put in place. Just another obstacle put in the way of HL/LL side.

It's the same hurdle as L1 and L2 divisional play-offs where the team in the higher league gets home advantage in the second leg/s. Gets really steep in the Premiership play-offs for the fourth placed Championship side. But there's some sanity to it all. The teams that do get promoted know they've made it on merit. I guess the big picture is, over time, fourth tier becomes stronger.

Just looking at my tissue I did back in June before odds were published. Stirling Albion price at the time was based on a takeover and injection of 350k which collapsed. Underestimated Annan a little but it was clear 2 months before a ball was kicked who’d be battling to avoid the playoffs. 

Peterhead 2/1, Stirling Albion 3/1, Clyde 11/2, Edinburgh City8/1, Elgin 16/1, Queens Park 16/1, Annan 20/1, Cowdenbeath 25/1, Berwick 33/1 and Albion Rovers 50/1.

Edited by Disc Potato

19 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

There's automatic relegation (usually) for those who finish bottom of the Lowland League.

The only reason it isn't the same in the Highland League is that there isn't a league below in the pyramid.

So every other league isn’t the same and no overriding reason why leagues need to have same set up.  

On 28/03/2019 at 10:45, The Moonster said:
It's a pretty decent safety net to be fair and the trapdoor was introduced after a lot of crying about it.  It should be 1 up, 1 down and a play-off between 2nd/3rd/4th and 9th from SPFL2, just like every other league.

There isn't a "2nd/3rd/4th" to take part in these play-offs though. You'd need to have play-offs before the play-offs to decide all that, and that would mean both the LL and the HL finishing at least another week or so earlier.

I don't understand the obsession people have with uniformity across the play-offs. Each league should have a system that works for its own particular scenario. The 9-2-3-4 play-offs work for the Championship and League 1 because both leagues are the same size, play the same number of games and finish at the same time. It wouldn't work for the Premiership because they have 2 extra matches and thus finish later, and it doesn't work for League 2 because there are 2 different leagues below rather than 1.

The obvious solution which wouldn't require any changes to the schedule would be for 10th to go down, and the HL/LL play-off winners to come up, and then for the League 2 play-off to be between 9th in League 2 and the HL/LL play-off losers.

Edited by craigkillie

On 31/03/2019 at 18:07, Hampden Diehard said:
On 29/03/2019 at 11:40, Mick1867 said:
He still thinks Steaua Bucharest are the holders 

European football has been on a downward spiral since the demise of Eastern European teams sponsored by state police torturers.

And all the supporters got a flat rent free.

Haha, true. Well, we do know East Kilbride will be in it, and most likevel Cove Rangers as well (with Brora Rangers still having a matemathical chance). 

The big question is whether it will be Berwick Rangers or Albion Rovers that they meet in the final. 

It will definitely be Cove.

Haven't seen EK this season but in my opinion, Cove aren't really any great shakes. By the sounds of it EK are a better side from everything the LL people say.

It would maybe be good for the Highland League if Cove finally went up, but I can't see it happening this season.

Would agree with the above, Cove don't look brilliant this year and would expect EK to have too much pace up top for them. It would be good for the HL to get rid of Cove but I want to see them suffer again.

The choice of Cove or EK is a pretty grim one for an away fan point of view. Neither offer anything at all and the status quo would be a better option (but to see Harvey take Berwick down would be absolutely hilarious).  Brora on the other hand would be fun.

32 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Would agree with the above, Cove don't look brilliant this year and would expect EK to have too much pace up top for them. It would be good for the HL to get rid of Cove but I want to see them suffer again.

The choice of Cove or EK is a pretty grim one for an away fan point of view. Neither offer anything at all and the status quo would be a better option (but to see Harvey take Berwick down would be absolutely hilarious).  Brora on the other hand would be fun.

Four games per season (at least) between Cove and Cowdenbeath sounds attractive though... ;)

On 30/03/2019 at 23:46, craigkillie said:

The obvious solution which wouldn't require any changes to the schedule would be for 10th to go down, and the HL/LL play-off winners to come up, and then for the League 2 play-off to be between 9th in League 2 and the HL/LL play-off losers.

Relegation from League 2 is never going to be straight forward, as the leagues below need to be balanced out.  Whether one, or finally two teams, are relegated to the LL, re-jigging is going to be required in the LL tiers. with some teams not knowing where they will be playing until after the final play-off.