Trapdoorwatch 2018-19

We (ARFC) are safe now after a very good display today. I have been saying all season that in 45 years of attending that this is far and away the worst Berwick team I’ve ever seen. And yes I am aware we haven’t beaten them this season. Good luck to Berwick in the play offs it’s a lovely town and enjoy the train journey and day out but I’m not convinced they’ll do it

5 hours ago, JHS rip said:

We (ARFC) are safe now after a very good display today. I have been saying all season that in 45 years of attending that this is far and away the worst Berwick team I’ve ever seen. And yes I am aware we haven’t beaten them this season. Good luck to Berwick in the play offs it’s a lovely town and enjoy the train journey and day out but I’m not convinced they’ll do it

Rovers are not safe yet. Berwick not looking good at the moment I accept that but it ain't over yet.

7 hours ago, JHS rip said:

Careful now! Mr Harvey could pin this up on the dressing room wall next Saturday. Stranger things have happened, they did beat Peterhead after all.

1 hour ago, Owsley said:

Careful now! Mr Harvey could pin this up on the dressing room wall next Saturday. Stranger things have happened, they did beat Peterhead after all.

Only thing JH ever tries to pin is blame (on someone else), and he's never quite pulled it off.

Rovers are safe. We ended the season the way they started, while they have simply done better the past months than we did under Robbie Horn.

9 hours ago, JHS rip said:

I don't accept we are safe. Yesterday was great, and the overall improvement under Kevin is obvious. However, there have also been wobbles under Kevin (Queens Park, most notably) and the worry is that is what we get next week.

That said, I'd rather be in our position than Berwick's

17 minutes ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

I don't accept we are safe. Yesterday was great, and the overall improvement under Kevin is obvious. However, there have also been wobbles under Kevin (Queens Park, most notably) and the worry is that is what we get next week.

That said, I'd rather be in our position than Berwick's

I can fully understand and respect that position given Rovers' unfortunate predicament up until last month, but we are not beating you on the 27th - which makes the silly season shenanigans v. Elgin and Annan on the final day irrelevant. It's not been too long since City came to town and comprehensively battered us, whilst Rovers took three points off them yesterday.

1 minute ago, JHS rip said:

I simply don’t believe the current Berwick side are capable of winning two games in a row and going by the Berwick thread it seems like most of their supporters would agree with that .

If they could get to the 2nd leg of the play off on an even keel one win would do it.

1 minute ago, Chris_the_rover said:

What team is worse our team at start of season our berwick at end

Looking as  an outsider you would have to say Berwick who are taking far more heavy defeats than Rovers did at the start. 

13 hours ago, JHS rip said:

I simply don’t believe the current Berwick side are capable of winning two games in a row and going by the Berwick thread it seems like most of their supporters would agree with that .

Frankly I’m not sure they are capable of winning one game in a row! I’ve been watching football regularly since 1972 and at pro or semi-pro league level in the UK, I’m seriously struggling to recall a side (even Shire) that has taken so many thrashing’s home and away in a single season.

Whilst nothing is certain in football, you wouldn’t fancy Berwick to beat either Cove or Kilbride over 2 legs. I’ve not watched East Kilbride but saw Cove hammer Turriff 7-1 earlier this campaign in the Highland League Cup. Whilst accepting Turriff were no Barcelona, they looked no worse than The Borderers. 

However the season finishes, Berwick need a change of direction.  It’s no good talking about 1967 and living in the past this is 2019. The reality is the club needs to change what they are doing to achieve something better not do the same old things that have lead to consistent failure. Easier said than done of course but you can’t expect better results by simply plodding along when things are clearly not working. 

1 hour ago, Borderer said:

Frankly I’m not sure they are capable of winning one game in a row! I’ve been watching football regularly since 1972 and at pro or semi-pro league level in the UK, I’m seriously struggling to recall a side (even Shire) that has taken so many thrashing’s home and away in a single season.

Whilst nothing is certain in football, you wouldn’t fancy Berwick to beat either Cove or Kilbride over 2 legs. I’ve not watched East Kilbride but saw Cove hammer Turriff 7-1 earlier this campaign in the Highland League Cup. Whilst accepting Turriff were no Barcelona, they looked no worse than The Borderers. 

However the season finishes, Berwick need a change of direction.  It’s no good talking about 1967 and living in the past this is 2019. The reality is the club needs to change what they are doing to achieve something better not do the same old things that have lead to consistent failure. Easier said than done of course but you can’t expect better results by simply plodding along when things are clearly not working. 

Copy and paste?

On 21 April 2019 at 08:07, Owsley said:

Kevin Harper might counter that with comments from Harvey's meet the manager from a few weeks how he wasn't thinking about Lowland league football as Berwick were better than Rovers.

Ah well since the OP has abandoned this thread, don't know why since he's been over it like a rash in past seasons:lol:, time to tidy things up I suppose.

Berwick confirmed in bottom spot after 6 straight defeats and 26 out of 35 helping Albion Rovers fine comeback which just seen them have to turn up for the last 6 weeks of the season to get above Berwick.

Non league sides finally balanced going into their 2nd leg with Cove leading 2-1 and having home advantage.

Edited by cowdenbeath

1 hour ago, Vodka Vic said:

Personally the Rovers team at the start of the season is worse than the current Berwick team. 

Manager had came from the third level of the West Juniors and brought players with him. It was based on him reaching a Junior Cup semi final were he had beat such famous names as Forth Wanderers and Dundee Downfield after replays with a four months lay off in between because of bad weather. Wishaw then played 3 Scottish Cup ties in a fortnight to reach the semi final. That was his crowning glory on his CV to manage a Senior football club. Which must reflect on those running Albion Rovers. 

10 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Manager had came from the third level of the West Juniors and brought players with him. It was based on him reaching a Junior Cup semi final were he had beat such famous names as Forth Wanderers and Dundee Downfield after replays with a four months lay off in between because of bad weather. Wishaw then played 3 Scottish Cup ties in a fortnight to reach the semi final. That was his crowning glory on his CV to manage a Senior football club. Which must reflect on those running Albion Rovers. 

Did he not walk out before the semi as well? 

You're quite right though, he should never have been near the place. The Board also can't say that they didn't know what his recruirment plans were, as he made it clear he was going to bring in hidden gems from the Juniors, and they knew exactly what level of the Juniors he was familiar with.

Still, we got away with it! God bless Johnny Harvey!