Trapdoorwatch 2018-19

Even if top flight clubs bought into the argument that having Colt teams would be advantageous to them anyway, which of Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs would accept being shunted into a second rank status anyway (obviously the zombie outfit would get a free pass into the setup because this is Scottish football we’re dealing with)?

If Colt teams were of any value then five teams into four spots is a non-starter; if no one is kicking up a fuss about it then that confirms how little an effect they would have on the performance of biggest clubs.

Get them in the sea then.

Even if top flight clubs bought into the argument that having Colt teams would be advantageous to them anyway, which of Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs would accept being shunted into a second rank status anyway (obviously the zombie outfit would get a free pass into the setup because this is Scottish football we’re dealing with)?

If Colt teams were of any value then five teams into four spots is a non-starter; if no one is kicking up a fuss about it then that confirms how little an effect they would have on the performance of biggest clubs.

Get them in the sea then.

Rangers and Celtic want colt teams - Motherwell have a decent colt team thus they are interested. Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts might have a wait and see attitude. There aren't a lot of Premier clubs 100% set on this and they aren't competing to be involved - but are interested to see if such an experiment works

Rangers and Celtic want colt teams - Motherwell have a decent colt team thus they are interested. Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts might have a wait and see attitude. There aren't a lot of Premier clubs 100% set on this and they aren't competing to be involved - but are interested to see if such an experiment works
"might" doesn't exactly lead a massive charge on a big interest though does it? Throwing hopes on clubs as financially risky as Motherwell and Rangers shows this is going nowhere for now.

If they don’t have a ‘wait and see’ attitude then there aren’t enough spaces. And if they do then it’s clear that the benefits aren’t anywhere near as compelling as its fluffers like to claim.

So tear up the league structure to enable a shan project with no demonstrable prospect of working effectively? Nope.

If they don’t have a ‘wait and see’ attitude then there aren’t enough spaces. And if they do then it’s clear that the benefits aren’t anywhere near as compelling as its fluffers like to claim.

So tear up the league structure to enable a shan project with no demonstrable prospect of working effectively? Nope.

I have said the clubs that seem to be keen on it, some are interested, some wait and see, some don't want the spend - once it is trialled views might change and if benefits are apparent then they would doubtless seek to have the arrangement revised/extended. The benefits would have to be proven first to attract others to follow suit

So there aren’t precisely four clubs interested now, while the ‘success’ of this gubbins idea would entail yet another round of reconstruction as Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs (potentially Dundee United and Dundee in time) staked their claims to the benefits enjoyed by a provincial diddy outfit like Motherwell from the beginning of the scheme. Cue endless rounds of restructuring then.

And of course it isn’t in fact a mere ‘trial’. You can’t set up an entire new level of the pyramid - above dozens of more deserving clubs - and then wrap it up after a few years if Premiership clubs don’t want to play any more. It will be a near-permanent, pointless attachment to the already bloated structure of Scottish football.

But apart from those two minor flaws, a solid 0/10 argument there.

17 hours ago, virginton said:

So there aren’t precisely four clubs interested now, while the ‘success’ of this gubbins idea would entail yet another round of reconstruction as Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs (potentially Dundee United and Dundee in time) staked their claims to the benefits enjoyed by a provincial diddy outfit like Motherwell from the beginning of the scheme. Cue endless rounds of restructuring then.

And of course it isn’t in fact a mere ‘trial’. You can’t set up an entire new level of the pyramid - above dozens of more deserving clubs - and then wrap it up after a few years if Premiership clubs don’t want to play any more. It will be a near-permanent, pointless attachment to the already bloated structure of Scottish football.

But apart from those two minor flaws, a solid 0/10 argument there.

Neither of these are Brexit like in their complexity - restructuring can be feasible as we all know by now.  You don't need to wrap it up if Colts drop out, options could include amalgamate with League 2 or bring in more clubs from Lowland/Highland Leagues.  Nothing bloated if its part of a Pyramid

There's not many things I get overly passionate about in the grand scheme of things.

Obviously have a keen interest in the political goings on in the country but I've learned to live and let live a bit and realise everyone has different opinions.

Really struggling to do that here though, I love my Saturdays at the football the lower leagues and the clubs in the lower leagues.

Every club is unique, each match day whether at home or away is different and gives me that wee buzz.

The thought of a Saturday, where my team was playing Rangers youth team, a team that is using that and my match day to develop their players, is a totally depressing one.

It should be and seems to be rightly getting panned by nearly every lower league fan, with each passing CC post I bang my head off of the closest wall.

I just do not understand how anyone could stick up for this.

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

There's not many things I get overly passionate about in the grand scheme of things.

Obviously have a keen interest in the political goings on in the country but I've learned to live and let live a bit and realise everyone has different opinions.

Really struggling to do that here though, I love my Saturdays at the football the lower leagues and the clubs in the lower leagues.

Every club is unique, each match day whether at home or away is different and gives me that wee buzz.

The thought of a Saturday, where my team was playing Rangers youth team, a team that is using that and my match day to develop their players, is a totally depressing one.

It should be and seems to be rightly getting panned by nearly every lower league fan, with each passing CC post I bang my head off of the closest wall.

I just do not understand how anyone could stick up for this.

Well I am not sticking up for this - so I have no idea why you are banging your head unless to knock some sense into it.  You see suggesting how it might be positively presented, what arguments could be used to persuade clubs to accept it, how it could operate, what advantages could accrue, etc is a response designed to promote some real thinking if you want to counter it.  Because get it in the sea and Old Firm hatred won't really be the nub of the debate when clubs look at this. 

I've looked at what you've been saying and I do think you're sticking up for it, some of your responses to the points made earlier on seemed bizarre to me tbh.

The bit about players being inconvenienced with travelling or whatever to play for loan clubs, come on now. We had a player on loan from Dumbarton a few year ago and I remembered being told by someone at the club he had commuted from Lochgilphead one day to sit on the bench for a midweek game.

Commuting/travelling etc can't be a reason these are supposed to be professional players it's part of the job. Surely putting them through that travelling is part of their learning curve and what makes them as people too.

Getting driven about in big coaches with their pals etc boys day out is hardly going to bring out any character or drive in themselves. That was just one wee thing I noticed amongst many more that really annoyed me because there are so many players at PT level who do real travelling and real journeys for their love of playing. We have had Ricky Little for 6 years now and he commutes from Stevenson. We have a young guy who lives and works in Montrose he's been on loan to Albion Rovers commuting down there twice a week for training.

Surely the best way to develop young players is to put them under that pressure. You hear it all the time, young guys going into dressing rooms with PT players playing contract to contract where it really means something for them.

This whole cooshty roll up together and turn up to lower league grounds in your big coach to play PT guys as part of your development when there's absolutely no pressure on the outcome at all who is that helping??? What is there to gain from it?