Trapdoorwatch 2018-19

16 minutes ago, Iain said:

I live in hope that an island team will make their way into League 2 one day. Who's the most likely?

Orkney are the only island team in the set up at the moment, playing in the North Caledonian league, but, because of road access and a decent sized population maybe a team from Skye would be a better bet. Otherwise Isle of Arran FC have are now playing in the Ayrshire Sunday league they even made the BBC sport website. Rothesay Brandane from Bute have been in the amateur leagues for years. If a West of Scotland league opens up in the pyramid I can imagine both showing interest at entering at the lower levels but it's a long way to League 2 from what would be the 8th or 9th tier. The Northern/Western Isles will have less leagues to go through and a lower quality of team to go up against. The only other places that could conceivable make it would be Lewis and Harris or Shetland but travel costs/weather would rule them out ye'd imagine.

The Western Isles, Shetland and Orkney all have teams that play in the Island Games, which are held every two years, and most the islands have their own amateur leagues so the players and grounds are there. I think representative teams enter the 1st round of the Scottish Cup is a more likely prospect but you need to be licensed for that and need to commit to the pyramid to get a license. Once the juniors are fully integrated into the pyramid licensing might open up to non-pyramid teams again.

Guess this will be as popular as an eggy fart on the oche?
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/draft-proposal-to-create-fifth-tier-league-three/
TLDR?
League 3: 4 Lowland; 4 Highland; 4 Colts. Under SPFL control.

How many times do they need told that colt teams can GTF. As soon as any proposal includes that as part of the package then get it in the sea.

It’s also misleading to suggest 4 highland and lowland teams are ‘moving up’. They would remain at exactly the same level (tier 5) and everyone else is getting kicked down a tier.

Then there is the implications of just chucking another 12 teams under the SPFL banner, which probably means an even more pitiful share of the finance for current league one and league two clubs.

So basically... SPFL2 clubs would have to agree to 1 automatic relegation place + 1 playoff place over 2 rounds, instead of the current 1 playoff place over 1 round?

If relegated they'd drop into a nationwide tier 5 where up to 37% of games would be against 'B' teams? If or when relegated their places in tier 4 could be getting taken by 'B' teams?

Every non-league club... except a lucky 8... would be demoted a tier? Simultaneously a quartet of 'B' teams would parachute straight in at tier 5?

Those lucky 8 would tread water, but would have to start playing nationwide with up to 37% of games being against 'B' teams? They'd have to compete with those 'B' teams for promotion?

How many times do they need told that colt teams can GTF. As soon as any proposal includes that as part of the package then get it in the sea. 

It’s also misleading to suggest 4 highland and lowland teams are ‘moving up’. They would remain at exactly the same level (tier 5) and everyone else is getting kicked down a tier.

Then there is the implications of just chucking another 12 teams under the SPFL banner, which probably means an even more pitiful share of the finance for current league one and league two clubs.

Random thoughts

It surely wouldn't reduce the monies for League 1 and 2 teams as why would they vote to accept it then? It would have some attraction to SPFL clubs as a safety net if the clubs in this remained part of SPFL and played in all SPFL competitions plus received some suitable level of fees from SPFL still.

That is then an inducement to admit colt teams as a quid pro quo.

Travelling for Central Belt clubs to 4 Highland grounds would not be attractive - albeit for Tayside SPFL clubs might be better than dropping into Highland League

The SPFL has the right to increase its membership and thus effectively have another tier above LL and HL I would think - the SPFL can have any League structure it wishes - eg 2 leagues, 5 leagues

4 Highland and 4 Lowland League clubs would effectively move up in status if they became members of the SPFL with the benefits that accrue from that

An 18 team league 2 might be better as a competition and maybe take a bit of pressure of current SPFL teams who face relegation. But bigger clubs won't back it without Colts no doubt and thus financially it wouldn't work.

Lowland League/Central Belt would still be quite strong as juniors come in but Highland League will be very weak

No surprise to see Cowdenbeath Cowboy trying to see the positives in another shite idea. Anything to prevent Cowdenbeath being relegated to the Lowland league!

No surprise that you are talking drivel. Maybe if you tried having any original thought you might gain insight into the motivators that would come into play in such a proposal. Didn't mention any positives or negatives that I saw just made quick observations. Cowden have done fine in preventing said relegation without any tampering to the Leagues.

12 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

No surprise to see Cowdenbeath Cowboy trying to see the positives in another shite idea. Anything to prevent Cowdenbeath being relegated to the Lowland league!

Poor comment, and boring.

Cowboy just gives a different perspective on things than many others on here have. 

Nothing wrong with understanding different angles on things, better than making half informed snap judgements surely?

9 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Random thoughts

It surely wouldn't reduce the monies for League 1 and 2 teams as why would they vote to accept it then? It would have some attraction to SPFL clubs as a safety net if the clubs in this remained part of SPFL and played in all SPFL competitions plus received some suitable level of fees from SPFL still.

That is then an inducement to admit colt teams as a quid pro quo.

The underlined bit is something that seems to have been overlooked. I've seen it said everyone would equally lose out for having additional members. Fact is if this is being pushed by the likes of Celtic and Rangers, they can say "Shave 1% or 2% off the 1st place in the Premiership prize money and everyone else stays at the current percentage share."

That 1% or 2% might be deemed an acceptable loss to future Premiership Champions in exchange for Colt teams, and would be a lot of money for HL/LL clubs.

The underlined bit is something that seems to have been overlooked. I've seen it said everyone would equally lose out for having additional members. Fact is if this is being pushed by the likes of Celtic and Rangers, they can say "Shave 1% or 2% off the 1st place in the Premiership prize money and everyone else stays at the current percentage share." That 1% or 2% might be deemed an acceptable loss to future Premiership Champions in exchange for Colt teams, and would be a lot of money for HL/LL clubs.

Bottom club in L2 gets presently around £43k. So you might give every club in this league say an average of £25k. That is £300k or £200k if you don't pay Colts. Doesn't require much sacrifice by the top teams in SPFL who will likely supply the 4 colts teams and could be part funded by growth in SPFL income which has been the annual trend. SPFL clubs also just got £400 grand or so each from UEFA.

Note for dumbos I am not advocating or supporting this just debating how it might be constructed. I said when Colts were first mooted that clubs would need incentivised to vote for it and despite ridicule on that point - that is the approach that has been taken

I am not in favour of Colts being in the SPFL (and I'm even less in favour of the term "Colts"). However, there has to be some discussion in Scottish football about which levels people think it is acceptable to have colts at. Nobody seems to moan about Stirling University or Stranraer running B teams at Tier 6, but it becomes an outrage when someone suggests that this should happen at Tier 5.

Fans of Linlithgow Rose and Threave Rovers have to watch their team playing against Colt sides in the league this season, what makes it OK for them but not for BSC Glasgow, Spartans, Cove Rangers etc?

Edited by craigkillie

And what about fans, who have made it crystal clear they don’t want to be playing against colt sides. Will clubs be happy to go against their own fan base for a few extra £s to ‘incentivise’ this bollocks.

Not for a few extra £s but that wouldn't be what could swing it - it would be lots of extra pounds, retention of SPFL status and places in Betfred and Irn Bru Cups, and at a tier below current 42 clubs not in LL or HL. Anyone with a brain could see the tactical moves here and that the colts proposal was never killed off - big clubs want it, they attract the money to Scottish game, the SFA wants it. Most part time SPFL clubs don't want to play colts teams but they also need cash and crucially wish to retain SPFL status. Some fans have made crystal clear their opposition - not all fans just those motivated by the subject. I would suspect many Full time clubs fans would not be so anti. - and say what's the problem and it will be good for Scottish football. Simply saying again and again 'Get it in the Sea' sounds like the no-deal Brexiteers. And please note I am expressing no support for this idea before you go there. If this deal or a variant doesn't get through don't think that's it over - they will keep chipping away

If my team finished bottom of league 2 I would rather drop into the lowland league, which is shaping up to be a cracking league over the next few years btw, than some bollocks cobbled together division containing colt sides.

We can also revisit the point that firing your colt side into tier 5 is not going to have your youngsters ready for first team action. The current system of sending them out on loan to play with and learn from seasoned players is a far better model.

6 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

If my team finished bottom of league 2 I would rather drop into the lowland league, which is shaping up to be a cracking league over the next few years btw, than some bollocks cobbled together division containing colt sides.

We can also revisit the point that firing your colt side into tier 5 is not going to have your youngsters ready for first team action. The current system of sending them out on loan to play with and learn from seasoned players is a far better model.

you've not been in that position.

my team has,twice and its an appalling prospect,you try and bring yourself round to the inevitability of it all-hey!lots of new places to visit-but in reality its fucking horrible

you've not been in that position.
my team has,twice and its an appalling prospect,you try and bring yourself round to the inevitability of it all-hey!lots of new places to visit-but in reality its fucking horrible

I’m sure dropping into a league to play against some youth sides with zero fans will be a much more attractive proposition.