Lowland Trapdoorwatch 2018-19

HibeeJibee

16 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Can you have both a first team and a reserve team in the EoS at the same time though? I suspect not as in the past the reserve team angle was always for the likes of Hibs and Berwick Rangers.

You have many 2nd teams playing in leagues all over Europe.  

• 4 weeks later...

Stirling University EOS could not participate in a playoff.

October is upon us so time for an update.

Whitehill find themself somewhat detached afoot LL although it's fairly tight above that and some unexpected clubs feature like 'Shire, Gretna and Stirling Uni.

Tight, and no real shocks in EOSL - arguably LTHV's dire start (they sit 10th) most notable.

Still a surprise bag topping SOSL.

Lowland League

10   East Stir.     P10  11pts,  +3
11   Edinburgh Uni  P10  11pts,  -3

12   Gretna         P10  11pts, -10

13   Stirling Uni   P10  10pts

~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

14   Dalbeattie     P10   8pts

===================================

15   Whitehill      P10   4pts

East of Scotland League – Conference A

1   Penicuik       P6  18pts

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2   Newtongrange   P7  17pts

3   Hill of Beath  P5  15pts

4   Leith          P7  13pts

5   Musselburgh    P5  12pts

East of Scotland League – Conference B

1   Bonnyrigg      P6  16pts, +32

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2   Dundonald      P7  16pts, +12

3   Tranent        P6  15pts

4   Bo'ness        P5  13pts

5   Sauchie        P6  12pts

East of Scotland League – Conference C

1   Broxburn       P6  18pts

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2   Jeanfield      P6  16pts

3   Linlithgow     P6  15pts

4   Heriot-W Uni   P6  12pts, +9

5   Camelon        P6  12pts, +5

South of Scotland League

1   Stranraer SOS  P7 21pts, +27

---------------------------------

2   Bonnyton       P7 21pts, +20

3   Lochar         P7 19pts, +18

4   Abbey Vale     P7 19pts, +15

5   Upper Annand.  P7 16pts

On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 20:13, FairWeatherFan said:

With the creation of tiers, is there something in the rules that prevents 2 teams from the same club participating in the EoSFL?

Apparently EOSL rules don't allow clubs to enter more than 1 team, so you couldn't have University of Stirling in 'EOSL Premier' and Stirling Uni EOS in 'EOSL First Division South'/similar.

13 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Apparently EOSL rules don't allow clubs to enter more than 1 team, so you couldn't have University of Stirling in 'EOSL Premier' and Stirling Uni EOS in 'EOSL First Division South'/similar.

Maybe i'm misremembering with the other leagues  but when the EOSL updated their policies page, they removed the text relating to membership and promotion.

Not knowing what the rules look like there could be a loophole where you can only nominate one "representative" in a competition which could leave an entry point for teams in different divisions. It's something that I imagine will be formally addressed when the EOSL splits into divisions again.

You would think that, if Stirling University LL team were relegated to the EOS Premier division, then their reserve side could play in a lower division. After all, there were proposals to play Old Firm colts teams in League Two, which, obviously, is in a lower division of the same league. 

2 hours ago, stanley said:

If Stranraer finish first and a licensed team finished second would they let the licensed team enter the playoffs or would no team enter?  

Second place teams or next best finish with a licence can't be promoted. The playoff route is only for the EoS and SoS Champions. If the SoS Champion is unlicenced and the EoS Champion is licenced, then the EoS Champion will be promoted without the need for a playoff.

Which is what happened when Edusport got promoted to the Lowland League. There was no licenced EoS Champion, so Edusport were promoted unopposed.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

Second place teams or next best finish with a licence can't be promoted. The playoff route is only for the EoS and SoS Champions. If the SoS Champion is unlicenced and the EoS Champion is unlicenced, then the EoS Champion will be promoted without the need for a playoff.
Which is what happened when Edusport got promoted to the Lowland League. There was no licenced EoS Champion, so Edusport were promoted unopposed.
I think you meant licensed rather than your first unlicensed and SoS rather than your third EoS?

Could Stranraer or Stirling Uni EOS change their administrative structure and/or name and be eligible? I'm thinking something like a separate holding company which manages player registration, separate finances, hire stadium from the first team? 

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Could Stranraer or Stirling Uni EOS change their administrative structure and/or name and be eligible? I'm thinking something like a separate holding company which manages player registration, separate finances, hire stadium from the first team? 

And The History, obviously...

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

If they were two distinct clubs, managed completely differently with no explicit connections between the two, then I don't see why not. Rangers and Hearts have been allowed to do it for years.

17 hours ago, Nimmo's Notes said:

You would think that, if Stirling University LL team were relegated to the EOS Premier division, then their reserve side could play in a lower division. After all, there were proposals to play Old Firm colts teams in League Two, which, obviously, is in a lower division of the same league. 

If the rules were altered they could. If the rules remained unaltered they couldn't. OF fantasies in one league will not magic away the rules in another... You'd also need to clear-up issues, such as voting rights. Otherwise, going by rulebook I have (which is a few years old), "no club may enter more than one team in the competition".

5 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

I'm sure they could but you then run into logistical trouble that mightn't be worth the hassle - they would need their own office bearers, committees, bank accounts etc. - and of course the big problem that they'd have to de-register and re-register players every time they moved between teams. It would also be a bit awkward if they drew each other in cups, though hopefully they'd both be going out to win.

EDIT: Also worth saying just a name itself need not be a determining factor... Indeed you already have a single club colloquially known as "University of Stirling" in LL and most cups, "Stirling University EOS" in EOSL and a couple of cups, and "Stirling University Under 20s" in U20 competitions. It'd get pretty confusing were it otherwise, infact!

Edited by HibeeJibee