Top 5s Watch 2018-19

11 hours ago, Raydale Grannie said:

There now seems to be a definite top 5/6 forming in each conference. So on this basis teams like Penicuik, Bonnyrigg, Linlithgow, Broxburn to name a few are in contention to win a conference, and following play-offs become EoS Champions. Can anyone clear up how many are eligible for promotion to the LL given the licence situations? Given the big influx of clubs coming over from the juniors would they be given promotion on the basis that licence criteria is met within a set time period? Seems puzzling to entice all these teams into the EoS to join the pyramid when they can't gain promotion in the first season. 

As far as we know, the winner of the EoS championship play-off (if licensed) between the three Conference winners will be up against the SoS winner (if licensed*) to replace the 15th place team in the LL. After that then it will depend on what happens with club 42 and the HL/LL winners, as to whether there will be places available for licensed clubs to apply and bring the LL back to 16 teams.

In the first season or two of the LL, clubs were given time to meet licensing criteria - but now there's no leeway and a licence is needed so it's up to the ex-junior clubs to do the work and get one. It's not like this is a new requirement!

Kelty were no doubt working towards the licensing criteria well before they joined the EoS - which would have been one of the last pieces of the jigsaw, so they could get their licence during their first season.

* unlikely as Threave are 8 pts off the lead, and an EoS team should beat them again

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Raydale Grannie said:

There now seems to be a definite top 5/6 forming in each conference. So on this basis teams like Penicuik, Bonnyrigg, Linlithgow, Broxburn to name a few are in contention to win a conference, and following play-offs become EoS Champions. Can anyone clear up how many are eligible for promotion to the LL given the licence situations? Given the big influx of clubs coming over from the juniors would they be given promotion on the basis that licence criteria is met within a set time period? Seems puzzling to entice all these teams into the EoS to join the pyramid when they can't gain promotion in the first season. 

There's been enough examples of clubs gaining a licence over the course of a single season on entering the pyramid.

The SFA imposing a moratorium on applications from something like May-October hasn't exactly helped matters. Of the leading candidates for the EoS Championship Playoff: Linlithgow are already licenced and everyone else i'm sure will fancy their chances of getting everything done in time.

• 3 weeks later...

Goodness.

With about half the league games completed interesting to see where it all stands.

There is now a clear top 4 in Conference A and beneath that Easthouses and Coldstream have each dragged themselves into the fight for 5th & 6th, where Leith continue to suffer surprise losses.

Conference B has a variety of contenders, each separated by a few points all the way done, again though it looks like 8 teams now battling after Haddington drew nearer to the coat-tails.

Conference C also has a clear top 4, after this a revival by Blackburn has drawn them into a fight joined by St Andrews after a good win today.

So at this stage the new Premier Division would comprise:

Penicuik, Bonnyrigg, Linlithgow, Hill of Beath, Dundonald, Jeanfield, Musselburgh, Sauchie, Broxburn, Newtongrange, Dalkeith, Camelon, Leith, Bo'ness, Preston, Dunbar, Crossgates

Conference A

1   Penicuik       P12  33pts

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2   Hill of Beath  P11  30pts, +45

3   Musselburgh    P12  30pts, +19

4   Newtongrange   P12  29pts
 5   Leith          P14  21pts
 6   Dunbar         P12  20pts
 7   Easthouses     P12  16pts
 8   Coldstream     P11  13pts

Conference B

1   Bonnyrigg      P11  31pts

2   Dundonald      P13  27pts

3   Sauchie        P12  23pts, +11
 4   Dalkeith       P13  23pts,  +7

5   Bo'ness        P10  21pts, +17
 6   Crossgates     P11  21pts, +13

7   Tranent        P9   20pts
 8   Haddington     P12  17pts

Conference C

1   Linlithgow     P11  30pts

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2   Jeanfield      P11  29pts

3   Broxburn       P11  27pts

4   Camelon        P10  24pts
 5   Preston        P13  20pts
 6   Blackburn      P15  18pts, -3
 7   Heriot-W. Uni. P12  18pts, -5
 8   Stir. Uni. EOS P14  17pts
 9   St Andrews     P12  14pts

Ranking of 6th place

1   Crossgates    21pts

2   Dunbar        20pts
-----------------------

3   Blackburn     18pts

22 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Goodness.

With about half the league games completed interesting to see where it all stands.

There is now a clear top 4 in Conference A and beneath that Easthouses and Coldstream have each dragged themselves into the fight for 5th & 6th, where Leith continue to suffer surprise losses.

Conference B has a variety of contenders, each separated by a few points all the way done, again though it looks like 8 teams now battling after Haddington drew nearer to the coat-tails.

Conference C also has a clear top 4, after this a revival by Blackburn has drawn them into a fight joined by St Andrews after a good win today.

So at this stage the new Premier Division would comprise:

Penicuik, Bonnyrigg, Linlithgow, Hill of Beath, Dundonald, Jeanfield, Musselburgh, Sauchie, Broxburn, Newtongrange, Dalkeith, Camelon, Leith, Bo'ness, Preston, Dunbar, Crossgates

Conference A

1   Penicuik       P12  33pts

2   Hill of Beath  P11  30pts, +45

3   Musselburgh    P12  30pts, +19

4   Newtongrange   P12  29pts
 5   Leith          P14  21pts
 6   Dunbar         P12  20pts
 7   Easthouses     P12  16pts
 8   Coldstream     P11  13pts

Conference B

1   Bonnyrigg      P11  31pts

2   Dundonald      P13  27pts

3   Sauchie        P12  23pts, +11
 4   Dalkeith       P13  23pts,  +7

5   Bo'ness        P10  21pts, +17
 6   Crossgates     P11  21pts, +13

7   Tranent        P9   20pts
 8   Haddington     P12  17pts

Conference C

1   Linlithgow     P11  30pts

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2   Jeanfield      P11  29pts

3   Broxburn       P11  27pts

4   Camelon        P10  24pts
 5   Preston        P13  20pts
 6   Blackburn      P15  18pts, -3
 7   Heriot-W. Uni. P12  18pts, -5
 8   Stir. Uni. EOS P14  17pts
 9   St Andrews     P12  14pts

Ranking of 6th place

1   Crossgates    21pts

2   Dunbar        20pts
-----------------------

3   Blackburn     18pts

Isn't the Premier Division 16 clubs, I've counted 17 so therefore only Crossgates out of the 6th place rankings would progress. 

At this point though you'd expect only Bonnyrigg of those three to definitely still be there at the end of the season. The change of management and transfer of players to Berwick at Penicuik could do for them and Hill of Beath, Musselburgh and Newtongrange must surely be thinking they can capitalise on it.

Broxburn, Jeanfield and Camelon will be the same in C, Linlithgow dont appear to be setting the heather on fire - right now I'd be looking at Jeanfield as the stalking horses there.

Calling it right now I'd expect Bonnyrigg, HoB and Jeanfield to be in the playoff with Bonnyrigg coming through that and also triumphing against the SoS team (if there is one).

1 hour ago, Jason King said:

At this point though you'd expect only Bonnyrigg of those three to definitely still be there at the end of the season. The change of management and transfer of players to Berwick at Penicuik could do for them and Hill of Beath, Musselburgh and Newtongrange must surely be thinking they can capitalise on it.

Broxburn, Jeanfield and Camelon will be the same in C, Linlithgow dont appear to be setting the heather on fire - right now I'd be looking at Jeanfield as the stalking horses there.

Calling it right now I'd expect Bonnyrigg, HoB and Jeanfield to be in the playoff with Bonnyrigg coming through that and also triumphing against the SoS team (if there is one).

I think in conference c if all games are on up until 12th January we will have a better idea as we will have played Broxburn and linlithgow. Then Broxburn and linlithgow play on 12th. Jeanfield I believe tillhave to play linlithgow rose twice and us in Perth so it will be interesting 

So lets say Bonnyrigg win the play off and go up (which they would be big favourites to do) and Whitehill Welfare get reinstated that would leave top 6 being good enough in two of the conferences to create a 16 team premier league?

So lets say Bonnyrigg win the play off and go up (which they would be big favourites to do) and Whitehill Welfare get reinstated that would leave top 6 being good enough in two of the conferences to create a 16 team premier league?
That's the way I understand it. I'd guess the 2 highest ranked 6th places rather than any kind of play-off.

18 minutes ago, Cyril said:

In theory yes, although the EOS could go with a 14 team Premier Division (top 5s minus Bonnyrigg) to make sure there's enough numbers left to provide a decent tier 7 setup - depends on how many new clubs join.

3 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

In theory yes, although the EOS could go with a 14 team Premier Division (top 5s minus Bonnyrigg) to make sure there's enough numbers left to provide a decent tier 7 setup - depends on how many new clubs join.

Good chance EoS will hit 40 clubs with Syngenta and Selkirk added and the various promotion/relegation plays out as expected.

Could go 16-(12-12) or 14-(13-13) with that.

4 hours ago, Jason King said:

WW will almost certainly get voted back in though to fill the additional space. Turkeys wont vote for christmas.

Maybe last year I would have agreed. Andrew Renwick had a lot of friends in the LL and SFA and 40 years experience including LL Vice President  but he’s gone now. There’s also a slight shift of power to the west with Waddell out and Fraser from BSC in.

In their drive for a ‘more professional ‘ league they want clubs with lights to make the LL more palatable for SPFL clubs taking the drop. So bye bye Whitehill imo. 

14 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Maybe last year I would have agreed. Andrew Renwick had a lot of friends in the LL and SFA and 40 years experience including LL Vice President  but he’s gone now. There’s also a slight shift of power to the west with Waddell out and Fraser from BSC in.

In their drive for a ‘more professional ‘ league they want clubs with lights to make the LL more palatable for SPFL clubs taking the drop. So bye bye Whitehill imo. 

Yip I've said that all along clubs like ww strollers and vale will have outstayed their welcome.

Clubs like Spartans  Shire the Unis etc won't want the top ex junior sides up their challenging either because they could eventually end up at the trap door as well  ?

So technically i reckon JK is correct turkeys won't vote for Christmas  ?

Yip I've said that all along clubs like ww strollers and vale will have outstayed their welcome.
Clubs like Spartans  Shire the Unis etc won't want the top ex junior sides up their challenging either because they could eventually end up at the trap door as well  ?
So technically i reckon JK is correct turkeys won't vote for Christmas  ?

How many licensed clubs will there be at the end of the season who have a chance?

Archived