Looking for SFL footballs from 1996 to 2001

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, oxf77 said:

Who said this particular market has more recent transactions? The penny drops.... 

If you are the only buyer interested in this item then you have a point (though by definition then it wouldn't really be a "market" price). If there are other people out there who would buy it, then the "market price" isn't what you and a willing seller agree to deal at though.

If I have a fairly standard car in good condition which has a market price in sales throughout the UK of £5,000 and I agree to sell it to Mr X for £4,000 because I quite like him and just want to liquidate the cash quickly to buy my next car, then the "market price" doesn't become the £4,000 Mr X just bought it for.

Which doesn't of course make it a requirement of Mr X to make sure I know the true market price before buying it from me at below market value however. You fire right on if you think you can get these balls below market value. It's the seller's responsibility to make sure they get a fair price for it.

7 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If you are the only buyer interested in this item then you have a point (though by definition then it wouldn't really be a "market" price). If there are other people out there who would buy it, then the "market price" isn't what you and a willing seller agree to deal at though.

If I have a fairly standard car in good condition which has a market price in sales throughout the UK of £5,000 and I agree to sell it to Mr X for £4,000 because I quite like him and just want to liquidate the cash quickly to buy my next car, then the "market price" doesn't become the £4,000 Mr X just bought it for.

Which doesn't of course make it a requirement of Mr X to make sure I know the true market price before buying it from me at below market value however. You fire right on if you think you can get these balls below market value. It's the seller's responsibility to make sure they get a fair price for it.

I've seen your car. £4000 seems fair. I'll bring the money tomorrow :lol:

37 minutes ago, P475 said:

No! 

You've outed yourself as a rip off merchant now. 

You're looking to fleece people. 

Back-up: if the item in question isn't sold often, then how can there be a market to have a market value?

53 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Oh, I see. So you think that you set the market and the market price is whatever you want to pay?

My point was this is a rare item and therefore there is no market. So the price is set each time a transaction between two people occurs.  And most of the time this is NOT on ebay.

3 minutes ago, oxf77 said:

My point was this is a rare item and therefore there is no market. So the price is set each time a transaction between two people occurs.  And most of the time this is NOT on ebay.

So, rare items cant be valued without being sold? Odd how auction houses and antique dealers do it every day of the week.

I guess mitre footballs are just so special. I really hope you're buying these for your own private collection

Just now, Mr X said:

So, rare items cant be valued without being sold? Odd how auction houses and antique dealers do it every day of the week.

I guess mitre footballs are just so special. I really hope you're buying these for your own private collection

Auction houses don't set prices, they set range expectations. The winning buyer sets the price....... as I was saying earlier.

Just now, oxf77 said:

Auction houses don't set prices, they set range expectations. The winning buyer sets the price....... as I was saying earlier.

Range expectations? You mean like a market value? :rolleyes:

How can you be struggling so much with the difference between what something is worth and what someone agrees to pay for it?

4 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Range expectations? You mean like a market value? :rolleyes:

How can you be struggling so much with the difference between what something is worth and what someone agrees to pay for it?

Does a buyer offer an amount which they believe the item is worth?

Archived