Crush at Celtic Park

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-45390489

This needs to be investigated by people who have nothing to do with and no loyalty towards those who took the decision to change the access routes or the implementation of them on the day.

If what I think happened happened, this was the entirely predictable consequence of people being channeled into routes that became bottlenecks and dead-ends, and where those at the back wouldn't have any idea what was happening further forward.

This kind of shit should never be happening in British football grounds in the 21st century. Heads should roll for this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-45390489
This needs to be investigated by people who have nothing to do with and no loyalty towards those who took the decision to change the access routes or the implementation of them on the day.
If what I think happened happened, this was the entirely predictable consequence of people being channeled into routes that became bottlenecks and dead-ends, and where those at the back wouldn't have any idea what was happening further forward.
This kind of shit should never be happening in British football grounds in the 21st century. Heads should roll for this.
Away fans in the area that all other domestic away fans have to come and go from.......

Completely agree with the OP, hadn’t realised there was a dedicated thread and just posted this in the match thread: 

Hope everyone is okay.

Thats absolutely disgraceful that it’s been allowed to happen these days, with all the lessons of the not too distant past to learn from.

A lot of folk get paid a lot of money to plan events like this, and f**k knows we are policed to death at football matches in this country. Very poor.

If this happened at the back of the Jock Stein stand then similar happened before the Eire in 2014, people not getting in until half an hour after kick off

It’s at the North Stand.

I was in the Jock Stein at the Ireland game and it was a shambles as you say.

I wasn’t aware of any crushing right enough.

Is this not the same situation as every normal non OF match with Celtic. i.e. the away fans in the wee segment in the corner?

Why were fans coming from different directions towards each other?

No real excuses from organisers here, I see the police claimed falsely that they were on the scene and helping. Same old shit.

Didnt realise there was a stand alone thread as just posted this match thread:

Police control at CP is moronic to say the least. They shut the gate after the game for a bit to stop crowd congestion but intsead people end up walking inside the stadium concourse which is smaller.

The match commander also shuts off the coach car park after a certain time deeming it too busy for buses to get in (no where near full though) so the buses end up doing 3 point turn on a busy road which is far more dangerous for me. At a Sevco game Last season they blocked off a large chunk of the lisbon lions stand both inside and out after the so I ended up having to make a massive detour around the cemetery. The stewards and police were telling us to go right as which is impossible as the whole road was blocked off because of away support.  This incident has been a long time coming.

Was there for a European match a while ago and this happened.
Never shat myself so much. Can’t believe it’s still going on. If that passage is not one way only it’s only a matter of time until there’s a major disaster.

14 hours ago, RadgerTheBadger said:

If this happened at the back of the Jock Stein stand then similar happened before the Eire in 2014, people not getting in until half an hour after kick off

I was in the corner of the North Stand/Jock Stein for that game, and I have never been as worried outside a ground in my life.  I'm 6 foot plus, a fair size and even I felt as if I was getting pushed about by the wave of people who were penned in. 

The memories of that night came back when I heard of the issues yesterday.  I hope everyone is ok.  As the OP says, heads should roll for this.  This should not be happening at a top flight stadium in 2018.

9 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Always thought celtic should put turnstiles across each side of the tunnel to stop the mosh pit effect happening,celtic have tryed to buy more ground at that side but the graveyard can't be moved.

Not going to totally solve the issue but I would let those in the north stand access more turnstiles so that they can enter the ground sooner and alleviate some of the congestion

19 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Not going to totally solve the issue but I would let those in the north stand access more turnstiles so that they can enter the ground sooner and alleviate some of the congestion

Not sure if the road itself is still being used as a public road or if celtic own it?

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Not sure if the road itself is still being used as a public road or if celtic own it?

Yeah its still a public road when its not match days. By more turnstiles I meant that they can access ones that are meant for other sections near by.

I was in the corner of the North Stand/Jock Stein for that game, and I have never been as worried outside a ground in my life.  I'm 6 foot plus, a fair size and even I felt as if I was getting pushed about by the wave of people who were penned in. 
The memories of that night came back when I heard of the issues yesterday.  I hope everyone is ok.  As the OP says, heads should roll for this.  This should not be happening at a top flight stadium in 2018.
That's the only time I've ever been shitting myself a bit at a match. Police were just watching on and I didn't really get the impression that they were going to ever do anything.

Attended the Ireland game and it was a nightmare. Not had much experience of it apart from that, but do have a few Celtic chums who have complained about it. Really thought we had seen the last of this sort of stuff!

No surprise after the Ireland game in 2014. Sad that nothing has happened to prevent this from occurring again. Even less shocked that the police were as useful as a chocolate fireguard. You think they would learn from Hillsborough but nah.

Archived